Chapter 1: First Impressions

With or Without You

Jennie's POV

 


"Miss Kim, I'll be putting you in charge of facilitating the class for this period because your adviser had to handle some personal issues."

 

 

I nodded, barely listening to what our principal just said. I'm used to this since I've been this school's Student Council Governor.

 


"And oh, by the way, you have a new classmate and I want you to introduce her once she arrives." Mr. Lee continued.

 


It's already 7:56 and this new girl isn't here yet? Well I don't tolerate tardiness so I'm gonna have to talk to her if she goes on with this attitude.

 


I was about to enter our classroom when I heard rapid footsteps approaching.

 


Then a girl with orange hair (yes, that's the most noticeable thing about her) came up to me

 


"Hey, I'm new here. Can you tell me where XII-Pythagoras is? I'm kinda running late already."

 


Running late, foreign accent, searching for our section... "You must be the new student. Hi, I'm Jennie Kim. Student Council Governor and your classmate." 

 


I stretched out my hand to shake hers, "Oh okay great. 5 minutes in this school and I've already made a friend," 

 


She smiled so wide I unconsciously smiled back. But it's funny how she thinks we're already friends. I don't even know her name. 

 

 

And as if on cue, "Shoot! I forgot to tell you my name. I'm Lisa." Well that's better.

 


---

Free period.

 


First period went by quickly. We didn't even notice Mrs. Chan already arrived if it weren't for our "ravens". 

 

 

That's what we call our classmates who alert us with stuff. They're also good at gossiping, err... getting information. 
They are the first type of students in our class. Other types are the usual, jocks, overachievers, and preppies. Oh, and I almost forgot the slackers. They're like ninjas. Most of the time you don't notice that they're gone. Which is a bummer for me because I'm responsible as the governor. I was hoping I could also be the class president.

 

 

"Okay class I want you to copy these notes because you'll be needing it for our first lesson next meeting."

 

 


Ugh, great. We already have to do something. Why can't teachers just let us enjoy the first day just mingling with each other and not doing anything academically related? 

 

 

I looked at the board to see what she was writing but all I could see was Lisa's head. Since there are no seats left other than in front of me, she really had no choice but to sit there. But it's starting to become a problem for me.


---


Lisa's POV


I'm not really the shy type kind of person but if I could just do anything to avoid the "introduce yourself" phase, I would. But being a new student, of course I couldn't.

 

 

I walked to the front just as our adviser called my name.

 

"Hey guys. I'm Lalisa Manoban, you can call me Lisa for short. And I'm a foreign exchange student from Thailand."

 


If I wasn't mistaken, I think I just saw Jennie's eyes widen in shock. I'm not that sure because when I looked again she was already busy writing in her notebook.

 


If you're gonna ask me, I find her intimidating. It's like she's this high-profile type of person that you can't easily impress. I like her though.


-

For third period, Mrs. Chan told us to conduct a class election. Nobody seems to be taking it seriously. Well, except for two people.

 


"The nomination for the position of president is now open."

 

Jennie and some other guy both raised their hand at the same time. Realizing that the teacher doesn't know who to call first, the guy backed down and let Jennie speak.

 

She merely looked at him and spoke, "I would like to nominate myself for the position of class president."

 


Half the class applauded and I thought for sure she'll win this effortlessly.

 


After her supporters(?) stopped, the other guy stood up and coughed to get attention.

 

 

"I, Jae Young, would also like to nominate myself for the position of class president." Then the other half of the class cheered for him. Wow, talk about charisma.

 

 

Though slightly irritated, Mrs. Chan calmly silenced the class before proceeding. After the nomination was closed, she called both contenders to the front and began the voting part.

 

 

"Since you're 31 in this class, I'm hoping there won't be any problems with this," she paused and glared at us, "Those in favor of Kim Jennie, raise your right hand."

 


She counted those who voted for Jennie, "15. Now who's in favor of Sun Jae Young?"

 

 

After counting, she wrinkled her forehead. "15. Who didn't vote?"

 


"Ma'am," Jae Young spoke, "I think it's the new girl."

 


Everyone turned their heads to me. I'm pretty sure some of the girls were glaring at me.

 


I stood up, "Ma'am I don't think I know them well enough to know who I should vote for."

 

"Then what do you propose we should do, Miss Manoban?"

 

"Toss coin."

 

I heard an exasperated sigh and chuckle from Jennie and Jae Young respectively.

 


"This is ridiculous. It's only a class election, not a big deal. Just pick one." Jennie said.

 


"Hmm okay. I choose Jae Young."

 


Not being able to contain herself, she yelled. "What?!"

 


"You said it wasn't a big deal. And besides, you're already the SC Governor."

 


"She has a point" Jae Young agreed

 


"No one's asking for your opinion." Jennie snapped.

 


"SILENCE"

 

We almost forgot Mrs. Chan was still in the room. "It is now decided that Jae Young will be the new class president. Now you may all take your seats."

 


Without even looking, I can feel Jennie's deadly glare piercing through my back. It's weird though. I want to be her friend but I ended up pissing her (and probably half the class) off.

 

 

And it's just the first day. Goodluck, self.