Chapter 30: Giving Up

With or Without You

"What do you mean you don't want to marry Jae Young?"

The man's voice rose a little higher, slightly intimidating Jennie.

"Yes dad, I don't. I'm sorry."

"This wedding's happening, Jennie."

Amidst the piercing look her father's giving her, she tried hard not to give away any trace of fear. That's what she learned from him after all these years. You can't control fear, but it's up to you whether you'll let it show or not. Which is probably why she has mastered the art of concealing her emotions in general.

Most people know her as someone who can't be intimidated. She has always maintained a strong facade, making sure no one sees through her.

Especially now. Right now all she wanted to do was break down. It was only hours since the last time she and Lisa talked, and we all know how that went.

"Let me rephrase my statement, dad." She wiped with the table napkin formerly placed on her lap. She already stopped eating moments ago. "I will not marry Jae Young."

The man stood up, evidently infuriated with the sudden decision.

"What kind of joke is this Ruby Jane?" He brushed his hand over his brown hair, a shade darker than Jennie's. "Do you have any idea how much effort and money we've already spent on this?" She remained silent. "Tell me, where is this suddenly coming from?"

She tried her best not to look away from his gaze, "I...I am in love with someone."

He chuckled, "And what makes you think that feeling's not gonna fade away? Sweetie, you're still too young. You have no idea what love means."

"Oh and you do?" she spat out, not able to contain herself. "You don't look at mom the way I look at Lisa. You don't know how it feels like to have your tummy churn in a good way after hearing her laugh. Or how she smiles every time you say something silly. You don't smile or laugh with her the way I do with Lisa. Dad, you have no idea how it makes me feel alive every time I'm with her. So don't tell me I don't know what love is because between you and me, I'm sure I know way more."

By the time she finished, she felt her heart pounding so hard it's like it's trying to break her ribcage. She has never talked back to her father, at least not in that way. She has to admit, a part of her feels bad and wants to take all the words back into . But it's already too late, and he had to hear those.

The man's expression immediately softened, guilt spreaded over his face. He sat back down, seeming to have calmed down a little.

"Jennie, you know that's not true. I love your mother--"

"If you do then why did you have an affair with another man?" by now she can feel tears forming in her eyes but she didn't care. "How can you claim to love her after cheating on her which, by the way, was the reason why she almost died?"

"I know I've made some mistakes in the past but I swear I love you and your mother very much."

"You love mom yet you had the heart to make her cry? You love me yet you didn't even realize you had a daughter who would be in a ton of mess after you dated her coach? You know what, maybe you're right. You do love us in some way. But you love yourself more." the look of pain from her dad's face made her want to stop talking. But he needed to know. "Do you know how many times I cried myself to sleep after everything that happened to mom? Do you know how many times I would run to the girl's restroom to cry after getting teased for what you did? Or how much it tore me apart every time I went home and the only ones I get to be with are our maids? Do you have any idea how much I crumbled down at the thought of never having a complete family again?" At this point, both of them were already crying. One was because of finally being able to say the things she'd kept to herself all these years, and one was because of the immense remorse he felt.

Jennie stopped a while to wipe her tear-stained face before looking back into her father's eyes once more.

"But the pain and all those other things went away when Lisa came. Dad, you have no idea how much she saved me. I felt like the world turned against me and everything jn my life was falling apart. But when she came along, I spotted a glimmer of hope. I thought maybe, just maybe, life wasn't so bad at all." She ached at the thought of Lisa. How everything between them right now is a mess. And the thought that she may have just lost her made her want to curse at everything. "Please dad, I don't want to lose her. I can't marry Jae Young."
 

Mr. Kim has already buried his face in his hands, sobbing too hard after everything he just heard. I guess his greatest fear came true, becoming a terrible father.

The silence between them lasted for a few minutes. No one said a word. Only the sound of crying can be heard from the room.

"If you don't want to marry Jae Young then don't," Her eyes lit up. She almost broke into a smile before her father spoke again, "But you're gonna have to come with me to New Zealand. You and your mom."

"What?"
 

"I want to start anew with you."

"Why does it have to be there? I mean we could do that here in Korea."

"Jennie, what you don't know is the huge possibility that we will lose our company--"

"Your company." she corrected, emphasizing the first word.

"Fine, my company. And if I break off your engagement with Jae Young, his dad's surely gonna get furious. On top of all those, I don't think it would be safe for our family to stay here after all those news come out to the press. I can't put you in the same position I once put you in a couple of years ago."

To say Jennie was torn would be an understatement. She's already made up her mind that she won't be marrying Jae Young whatever happens. But then she'll have to migrate to New Zealand.

It broke her how both choices seem to end up with her leaving Lisa.

Why does it have to be this hard? It felt like the entire universe was conspiring just to prevent her from being happy.

"This is too much dad. Why is uprooting our lives here the only solution to this problem? This is so damn unfair," she was becoming really frustrated. she stood up and paced back and forth. "No dad, I refuse to believe that's the only reason you want to move. There are other ways to make up for what you did. That can't be the only reason."

He started fidgeting with the table cloth, something he always does when he's nervous. Jennie knew that, and it only confirmed her hunch.

"That's the only reason, sweetie. I'm sorry if I'm being unfair to you but that's my only choice."

"But you're asking for too much dad! You want me to just leave everything--everyone behind. You're asking me to give up the life I have just to go to a place I'm not even familiar with," she stood up and headed for the door. "I need some time to clear my head. This is all too much for me to handle."

*****

"Ugh , you're right. I can't believe I let my impulsiveness get the best of me again."

Jisoo grinned widely at the younger girl sitting across her. She went over as soon as she heard the news, determined to knock some sense into the her head. And it worked.

After a few hours of talking (mostly arguing), Lisa has come to the realization that she may have overreacted a teensy bit.

"Now what? Are you planning to get her back? I hope you are because I'm getting tired of this counseling session."

Lisa looked down at her coffee, which has now turned cold. She suddenly remembered Jennie and how she liked cold coffee. She has always had a thing for things that were not liked by many.

This was the fourth time she thought about the brunette in this cafe. It's unbelievable how she thought she could break up with her when she couldn't last an hour not thinking about her.

"I screwed up real bad, Chu. How do you think I could get her back? Do you think she'll still accept me?"

"Lisa we're talking about the person who would stand up against her father, something I never thought she'd be able to do in this lifetime, for you. Of course she would."
 

It took another 30 minutes before Jisoo finally got Lisa to leave the cafe and go to Jennie.
 

Before heading to the Kim's Residence, Lisa stopped by to buy a rose and a cupcake for Jennie, just like she did a few months ago on Valentine's Day. It has only been a few hours since she last saw the girl but it bummed her how much she missed her. She's not the kind of person that would get mad over something for a long time, especially now that it's her girlfriend.
 

But was she still her girlfriend? Did Jennie take what she said last night seriously? Are they over? The thought itself felt like a punch in the gut.
 

You're the one who ended it, , the voice in her head said so loud that it was impossible to ignore it. It was right though, it's her fault.
 

She could've just stayed and talked about it with her. Talk about the things they needed to settle between each other. But instead she wallowed in self pity.
 

It made entering the house much harder for her after thinking of what might come after their talk. She tried her best to prepare herself for the possible outcomes.
 

The door was immediately opened for her after the second doorbell. It's still a wonder how all the maids knew her because she's only been here a few times.
 

She walked towards Jennie's room hoping to find her but before she even got there, she passed by Mr. Kim's study, who immediately called her attention.
 

"If you're looking for Jennie, she's not home," he smiled warmly at her. "Are you her friend from school?"
 

She carefully hid the rose and the cupcake behind her back before he could see it, "Yes sir. I'm Lisa Manoban."
 

Surprise was written all over his face, which Lisa failed to notice. She was still preoccupied with her thoughts about Jennie to pay attention to the sudden shift of the man's expression.
 

"So you're Lisa. Come sit here I want to talk to you," he ushered her over to the couch.
 

She could feel something was up, and it tensed her. When she finally sat down, he began speaking.
 

"My daughter has told me about you. We actually had a fight a few hours ago," he began, making Lisa feel more uncomfortable than she already was. "She told me how much you make her happy and I thank you for that."
 

"It's nothing, sir."
 

"But I'm gonna ask you to stay away from her."
 

Lisa's jaw dropped. Did she hear him right or was her mind making things up?
 

"I'm sorry, what?"
 

"Please stay away from my daughter."
 

What confused Lisa was not only that he asked her to stay away from Jennie, but the fact that he was pleading. It didn't seem like a demand, but more of a request.
 

"I don't understand why I have to."
 

"You're the only one holding her back from leaving," Again, her jaw dropped. Nothing's making sense right now. As if he understood her confusion, he proceeded. "I asked her to live in New Zealand with me and her mom where we can start over as a family."
 

"B-but why?"
 

"Lisa, I think you know my daughter enough to know everything she's been through. This is my way of making it up to her. And I don't think I'll be able to do that if we stay here."
 

"With all due respect sir, you're not making any sense. I don't understand why you can't do that here."
 

"I-I just... there's something else. But I prefer not to divulge that information with you. All I'm asking for is for you to stay away from her. I'm begging you."
 

"Sir, I told her that I won't ever leave her unless she wants me to. And I intend to keep my word. So I'm sorry but I can't do what you're asking from me."
 

He took a deep breath and massaged his temples, "Okay look, I'm gonna tell you something but you have to promise you won't tell her anything yet."
 

She hesitated for a while before finally nodding, "I promise."

*****

Jennie's original plan was to go to Lisa's sanctuary because it has become her hideout. But for some reason, her feet brought her in front of the girl's house.
 

She was a mess right now, and it's probably not a good idea to go see Lisa at this state. But she can't help it, she's the person she runs to when everything becomes .
 

At what seemed like the 10th doorbell did she realize that she probably wasn't home. Jennie had a copy of the key to the younger girl's house but unfortunately, she left it at home. So she had no choice but to sit on the porch while she waited for her.
 

It took an hour before she finally saw a familiar chevy park in front of the lawn. She practically ran to her the moment she got out of the car, hugging her so tight Lisa felt like the older girl was trying to choke her.
 

Jennie felt the lack of enthusiasm from the younger girl, and it made her sadder. Was Lisa serious about last night? Was she really done with her? The thought of it made her sick. She couldn't bear just the idea of it.

Meanwhile, Lisa was trying so hard not to return the amount of grip the other girl has on her. She wanted to cry and apologize for leaving last night. She wanted to say that she'll never get tired of her and that she loves her so much.
 

But she needed to do something. She can't give Jennie another reason to stay.
 

"We need to talk," Jennie began. They walked over to the porch and sat on the steps. "I talked to my dad and he agreed to break the engagement off... but he also asked for one thing."
 

"What?"
 

"He wants us to move to New Zealand."
 

Lisa was silent for a moment while looking at the ground, thinking of the least terrible way to do what she has to.
 

Jennie was already hurting at the silence she was getting from the younger girl. She expected a different kind of reaction. Something like doing anything to keep her from going. But all she got was silence.

"What do you think I should do?"

 

"I think you should go."


 

"Y-you what?" Nothing could have ever prepared her for this. She couldn't believe it, her worst fear finally happening.




 

"I know you heard me the first time, Jennie. I think you should go."

 

"But why?"
 

"Because it's the right thing to do. Your father's offering you an opportunity to start a new life as a family. Isn't that something you've always wanted?"


 

"But then I would have to give you up. I don't think I can do that, Lisa."
 

Lisa avoided looking her in the eyes for the fear that she might eat all her words and ask Jennie to stay because she knows it would only make her selfish.

 

"Your family's more important, Jen. Choose them."


 

"But--"


 

"Look, Jennie. I know what I'm asking for might be too hard, but I can't let you stay here if it means not getting to fix your family. I know you've been praying for this time to come. If you stay because of me and your family falls even more apart, I'm gonna feel bad about myself. Please, if you love me, do this for me."

 

She sneaked a peek at the older girl who was now biting her lower lip, a sign that she was holding herself back from crying. And it only made things harder for her.
 

"I-is that what you really want?"


 

"Yes."
 

Jennie dreaded to hear that one-word answer. The word that completely shattered her already broken heart.

 

She stood up and left without looking back at the younger girl.

 

Meanwhile, Lisa watched her walk away from her, disappearing from her sight and eventually, from her life.