Chapter 14: Soulmate Theory

With or Without You

Jisoo's POV

 


"Hurry up Chaeyoung! You know how strict Jennie is when it comes to time." I lectured her.

 


Two days before the beginning of our sembreak, Jennie got a call from Folded&Hung and they asked her to model for the brand and of course she said yes. Now we're on our way to her first shoot because she said she can't go through it without us.

 

 

We arrived five minutes before the call time and by the time we got there she's already on edge.

 


"WHY ARE YOU LATE?"

 

 

"Jennie, it's 8:55. The start of the shoot is 9:00." I told her. 

 

 

"YES BUT THAT'S THE F&H CALL TIME. THE JENNIE CALL TIME IS 8:30."

 


Jennie call time? That's not even a thing. God, this woman.

 


"But now we're here so calm down. And may I say, you look stunning in that outfit." Lisa butted in. 

 

 

I don't know if I'm imagining things but I swear her cheeks turned redder.

 


***

The shoot only lasted for two hours. Rosé was excited to try on different coats in the dressing room and even more ecstatic when the staff served us macarons and chocolates. I enjoyed watching the editors in adding effects to the photos. I even managed to pick up some useful tips I could use in editting my own photos. But the best part of the entire shoot? 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Lisa diverting the photographer's attention from Jennie.

 

 

 

It was really obvious he is interested in Jennie so Lisa was lowkey distracting him in order to keep him away from Jennie. 

 

 

 

For instance, when he was about to start up a conversation with her, Lisa began asking him camera recommendations and what not. Another was when he showed Jennie the photos and asked for her opinion, Lisa popped out of nowhere and started talking about her opinion instead.

 

 

I gotta admit, watching her do that was really amusing. I kinda pity her though because it's obvious she's got this thing for Jennie and Jennie on the other hand is just too dense to figure it out. 

 

---


Jennie's POV

 


The shoot ended an hour ago and we're now eating lunch at Army Navy.

 

 

To be honest, I don't think I would be modelling again for quite some time. I just wanted to do it to gain experience. And don't get me wrong, I enjoyed it. It's just that I don't think I'm ready for something like that.

 

And another factor is that photographer, Darwin. Ugh, he kept trying to get my number this morning it was starting to become annoying. I was really thankful and relieved that Lisa was there or else I might have turned him down horribly.

 

 


"Slow down Chaeng. Why don't you try some vegetables? You've been eating too much meat." Jisoo told her.

 

 


She rolled her eyes, "I didn't fight my way to the top of the food chain to become a vegetarian."

 

 

We all laughed. No one can ever come between Rosé and food.

 


Right after we ate, Jisoo and Rosé left us to go catch a movie. And when Lisa and I asked if we could come, they declined. It's really a good thing Lisa is here or else I'll be left alone.

 

 


"Where do you wanna go?" Lisa asked while opening the door to the driver's seat.

 

 


"I don't know. Somewhere peaceful."

 

 


It took her a few seconds to think before she answered, "Ah, I know just the place."

 

 

***

 

The journey took almost an hour and I fell asleep so Lisa had to wake me up.

 

 

I felt a gentle tap on my shoulder, "Hey we're here."

 

 

I looked around and noticed our car is parked in front of a brown building that looks abandoned.

 

 

"Where are we? Ohmygod don't tell me you kidnapped me and you're planning to sell my organs to rich people with diseases"

 

 

She laughed at me. "No one's gonna want your organs, Jen. You're a drunkard. Surely your liver's already damaged. And it won't take long for your kidneys to start having problems too. But I suppose I can sell your brain," Then she laughed again. I rolled my eyes at her. Douche. "Come on get out. I promise I'm not gonna sell your organs."

 

 

"Exactly what an organ dealer would say."

 

 

She opened the door to my side, "This is ridiculous. If you want, there's pepper spray in the glove compartment. You could bring it along. Just please get out."

 

 

Being the obedient child I was, I did get the pepper spray and held on to it while we're entering the building.

 

 

By the time we got in I realized it wasn't really abandoned. The inside of it is just one big empty room. Like there's nothing there. Except for a few buckets of paint, cans of spray paint, and paint brushes/rollers.

 


Although it is an empty room, the walls are filled with paintings and graffiti of various colors. But the wall at the south is still untouched.

 

 


I probably left my mouth hanging open because I felt her hand on my chin and closed my mouth followed by a chuckle.

 


"Please don't spill saliva on the floor."

 

 


I ignored her and walked over to the wall on the right side. I saw an imitation of famous paintings like Van Gogh's and Da Vinci's. There are also graffiti like the ones you see vandalized in streets. But unlike those, the graffitis she made are well thought of. 

 

 

I was so mesmerized I wasn't able to speak for a few more minutes.

 

 


"This is where I go when I need to clear my mind off stuff," I was too preoccupied that I didn't notice she was standing beside me. "When I was a kid, I kept painting and drawing on the walls of my room and my dad always joked around telling me he would buy a building someday where I could just draw and paint on the walls. And now that I'm all grown up, I bought one."

 

 


"You bought this with your own money?"

 

 

"I don't think I can call it exactly my money. You see my dad bought me a yacht back in Thailand and when I left I thought I should just sell it because I won't be able to use it. So I did and I used that money to buy this building. Of course I had to hire someone to clean it up and fix the ceiling but it didn't cost much."

 

 


"Wow." Was the only thing I could say. I slowly walked over to the other walls, carefully examining each artwork when something caught my eye. I went closer and saw what seems like a mini portrait of me. I was having a hard time remembering when the picture took place then I remembered, that's the dress I wore on Jisoo's birthday.

 

 

"I hope you don't mind I used that picture I took of you on the rooftop of your hotel."

 

 


I shook my head, "Not at all. This is probably the sweetest thing anyone has ever done for me." I felt this warm sensation in my chest and for a moment I felt like I couldn't breathe.

 

 


She smiled, "Well you ain't seen nothing yet." Then she took out a folder and opened it, revealing countless sketches. All about me. The first few ones were from the other candid photos she took on the rooftop. What surprised me are the following ones. One sketch was me eating ramen, the next one is me laughing while holding what seems to be a table tennis paddle. She must have taken this during the sportsfest. The next few ones are from pictures taken while I was asleep. The most recent one is from the camping trip.

 

 


What was happening seemed unreal so it took me a while to absorb it. Moments later I felt a finger brushing up my cheek. I didn't notice I was crying.

 

 

"Is there something wrong? Do you want me to throw these away? I'm sorry if this is too much. I should've asked you first before--"

 


I pulled her into a hug before she could finish what she was saying and buried my face in her neck so she won't see me ugly crying.

 

 

"Dammit Manoban... I w-wasn't ready for this." I said in between sobs. She hugged me back even tighter. So tight I feel like she was lifting me up.

 

 

"I'm glad you liked it." She said then I felt her kiss the top of my head.

 

 

***

 

"Random question: Do you believe in soulmates?"

 

 

After my crying session earlier, we stayed for a few more hours in Lisa's sanctuary. She even told me to paint something too. I vividly recall her saying, You're the first person I brought here. It's mandatory to leave a mark.

 

 


Now we're eating in an ice cream parlor. I guilt tripped her into buying me one because she made me cry. Of course it worked.

 

 


"Hmm," I pretended to think really hard. "No I don't"

 

 

She pouted, "Howcome?"

 

 


"I don't believe in destiny either. I don't believe in imaginary forces or what not. I believe our fates are governed by the choices we make."

 

 

"How sad your life must be." 

 

 

I hit her arm, "Soulmates are total bullcrap. Okay let's say that it is real, what if your soulmate lived a thousand years ago? Does that mean you can never love anybody else? That's just tragic."

 

 

"Well you know there's this soulmate theory a wise person thought of."

 

 

"And who is this wise person?"

 

 

"Me." Then she laughed. Sometimes I don't even know why I'm still friends with her. 

 

She cleared , "All kidding aside, I made this theory about soulmates a few years ago. Well you see, I'm a hopeless romantic. I'm really into--"

 

 

"Going farther from the topic, Manoban."

 

 

"Riiiight. Sorry about that. What was I talking about? Oh yeah the soulmate theory. I have figured out three types of soulmates. The first type are those who are destined to never meet each other. These are the people who, like you said earlier, were born in different times. The second type are those who are just contented with the thought of having a soulmate but they never do anything about it. They go on their usual lives without attempting to meet each other," she paused. If her theory is true, I think the second type is where I belong. "And the third, are the ones who, no matter what life throws at them, will always be each other's end game. They could get separated over and over again but will still come back to each other."

 

 


I looked at her intently, she is serious. It amazes me how much she believes in this.

 

"Which one do you think you belong to?"

 

 


"I don't know. I mean, how can I tell right?" She looked at me with a meaningful gleam in her eye, "But I hope I belong in the third one."