Chapter 13: Warning

With or Without You

 


Lisa's POV

 

It's been weeks since the camping trip and now everything is back to normal. And by normal I mean back to working late nights with the herald. We're all doing our best to rush this quarter's edition until the end of the week because next week is officially the beginning of our semestral break.

 

 

 

To be honest, I'm not excited about the sembreak. I got absolutely nothing planned for those two weeks. I'll probably just call up Jisoo to play video games together or Chaeyoung to go eat at various restaurants and cafés.

 

 


Oh and Jennie? I haven't seen her lately. But yes we're fine and not at all awkward. The off switch is definitely working.

 

 


I mean yeah it's so much better if she did like me back but I meant what I said that the important thing is I have her in my life. Even just for a friend. And besides, maybe that's the universe's way of saying that we're better off as friends than lovers.

 

 


"Hey Lisa?"

 

 


"Yes?" I answered without looking at Jae Young. 

 

 


"Wanna go grab something to eat?"

 

 


I shook my head, "No need. I'm just finishing up on this then I'll be on my way."

 

 


"Okay," he said deadpan. "How about... this Saturday?"

 

 

 

I looked at him with a puzzled expression, "What?"

 

 


"Do you wanna go eat somewhere?"

 

 


"Wait, are you asking me out?"

 

 

 

He scratched the back of his neck and smiled, "Yeah."

 

 


I couldn't help but laugh at him. "You're kidding right? You just told me weeks ago that you're engaged to someone."

 

 


"Trust me, it's not gonna work out."

 

 

 

"Howcome?" He brushed his hair with his hand then shrugged.

 

 


"We have nothing in common. I don't even feel a tiny bit of affection towards this girl. I mean she's a bit... too much for me."

 

 


"And you're asking me out because...?"

 

 

 

He chuckled. "Isn't it obvious? I'm asking you out because I like you. But you know you don't have to like me too. Not that I won't like it if that happens. And I could give you time to think about it. And--"

 

 


"You're blabbering," I laughed. "Being the kind person I am, I will put you out of your misery. I will think about it."

 

 


He smiled widely, "Thank you."

 


***

 


"WHAT?" 

 

 

 

"Gross Chaeng, you just spat out food on my face," I said as I was wiping my cheek with a table napkin. I just told her about Jae Young asking me out.

 


We're the only ones having lunch together because Jisoo is really busy directing the play the theater club will be performing in two weeks and Jennie is still MIA. Probably busy with stuff too.

 

 

 

"But what did you say?" 

 

 

 

"I said I will think about it."

 

 

 

"WHY?" 

 

 

 

"I swear if you spit out food again in my face I'm never eating with you again Roseanne," Although I'm slightly thankful she's spitting out solid food instead of drinks.

 

 


"What do you have to think about? There's nothing to think about!" She replied, completely ignoring what I just said.

 

 


"What? And hey, why are you so affected?"

 

 


"Because-- JENNIE" Then she started waving to someone behind me. I turned around and Jennie was indeed there. She looks tired.

 

 


"Thank God you guys are here. I've been stuck in the office the entire week I feel like I live there. I needed to get out to feel some normalcy. What's up?"

 

 


"Well we haven't been seeing much of Jisoo lately. And Chaeyoung here managed to finish a bucket of fries in less than a minute. Too bad you just missed it." She laughed. Ugh, how I missed that.

 

 


"And Jae Young just asked Lisa out on a date," Rosé said nonchalantly. I squinted my eyes at her, "Oops."

 

 


I turned to face Jennie who now has an unexplainable expression.

 

 


"What?" She looked at me, as if asking for a confirmation.

 

 


"Yeah. Uhh he asked me to go eat with him this Saturday."

 

 


She pursed her lips which eventually turned into a smile. "What did you say?"

 

 

 

"I said I'll think about it."

 

 


"Oh," she smiled again. "I'm happy for you." She stood up, "I have to go guys. Still got a lot of stuff to finish in the office." Then she left.

 

 

 

"Wow." I turned to look at Rosé who now has finished her second serving of tiramisu. "That's the best example of a person who's affected."

 

 


Huh? Sometimes I don't understand what she's talking about. I'm a bit worried about Jennie though. It's pretty obvious she's not resting much. I should probably drop by their house tonight.

 

---

 

Jennie's POV

 

 

"Mr. Sun will be with you in a moment Miss Kim." I nodded at the butler. 

 

 


I took a sip of my tea. Yes I need this to calm myself down. I'm gonna need all the calmness to refrain myself from lashing out later.

 

 


Moments later a tall blond guy walked into the room clutching his phone.

 

 


"To what do I owe the pleasure of your visit?" He said sarcastically.

 

 


"What the actual Jae Young"

 

 


"Excuse me?"

 

 


"Cancel your date with Lisa."

 

 


He widened his eyes in surprise. He immediately looked around the room to check if anyone heard what I said before speaking, "Lower down your voice. When my father hears you he's gonna--"

 

 


"What? He's gonna what, Jae Young? I'll tell you what, HE'S GONNA FLIP OUT"

 

 


"I KNOW," he inhaled sharply. "So please Jennie, calm down."

 

 


I did my best to do what he said. After all, he is still my friend and I don't want him to get in trouble.

 

 


"Okay here's the thing. Cancel your date with Lisa."

 

 


"Why does this bother you?"

 

 


"Because you're engaged Jae Young!" I am trying my best to not punch him in the face for being an . 

 

 


"Hey I've been on other dates before this and it didn't bother you this much."

 

 


"You know very well that Lisa is my friend. And with what you're doing, you will only be dragging her in this mess. Let's say you two work out," For a second there the thought was unbearable to think of. "What if your dad finds out? You know the lengths he will go just to make her suffer."

 

 


He combed his hair with his fingers then sighed. He knows I'm right about this.

 

 

 

"Please Jae Young. She's important to me. And if she's the same way to you, you'll stay away from her."

 

 


It took a while before he agreed. I understand it must be devastating for him but I know I'm right about this. I don't want Lisa getting caught up in any mess.