Chapter 19: Want You Back

With or Without You

 

Jennie's POV

 

 

"Okay I want everyone to pitch some ideas for our Feb Fair and for what everyone is mostly looking foward to, the prom."

 

 

I heard some muffled squeals around the room. I can't help but get excited too. 

 

 


The day we came back for the new year, I held a meeting for the council asking them to think of ideas for the upcoming events: Feb Fair and Prom. It's been 3 weeks since then and now we're conducting another meeting to hear all the ideas they have.

 

 

Eun Suk, the auditor, raised her hand. "What if we add rides for the fair this year? The traditional booths are getting kinda boring."

 

 

"But where will we get the fund? And even if we do, isn't it better to just use that money for our prom rather than the fair? No one really cares about it anyway." Yohan replied.

 

 

"We already have a huge fund intended for the prom," She glared at him. "And besides, it's our last year in high school. We should make every event memorable for everyone."

 

 

"As I said, no one even pays attention to the fair. Usually students just cut classes for the week and go somewhere else. It would be a waste of money and effort."

 

 

"The only reason they're not paying attention to the fair is because it's boring. BUT if we add rides, maybe they would be interested."

 

 


"But what if it flops? Won't it be such a waste?" 

 

 

"Well maybe you could stop shooting down all the ideas I'm pitching and pitch some of yours so you'll at least be helpful" she rolled her eyes. He was about to answer when I interrupted them.

 

 

"Can you two stop fighting? Both of you make valid points." I turned to Eun Suk, "Are you sure we could collect enough money for the rides?"

 

 


"I've done the calculations the other day. If we send out solicitation letters to the parents of students who own big companies, and they all donate some money, we could make it happen."

 


"But we only got two weeks. How can--"

 

 

"I already composed a solicitation letter," she opened an envelope then brought out a piece of paper and handed it to me. "If you could get the principal to approve it by today I could send the letters off by this afternoon."

 


"Okay then that's settled. Let's move on to the prom. The principal already approved the date we talked about which is the last day of the fair. First, music. Band or dj?"

 

 


"I think band is the safer option. Hiring a dj would cost more and where would we even get one?" Jin suggested.

 

 

"I know a dj. And he's not gonna cost much. Bands are way too traditional. This is a party we're talking about and a dj is the most suitable for partying." Jong An replied. Before another fight happens, I thought of an idea.

 

 

"Let's just vote. All those in favor for band, raise your hands."

 


A lot of people raised their hands. Yohan counted 14 out of 32. 

 

 

The next hour just went on like that. We didn't even notice the bell ring because we're so engrossed in planning. This is the most awaited event of every high school student that's why we're putting in an extra effort into arranging this.

 

 

In fact, aside from planning this event, I'm already designing the dress I'll be wearing. Though I'm having a hard time deciding what color it will be.

 

 

After assigning tasks to each group, I dismissed them. I'm confident no one's gonna slack off because like I said, everyone's excited about this.

 

 

After locking the office I went to the locker room to leave my books. As I opened my locker, a note fell to the floor. I read it,

 

 

 

 

 


J,

Meet me in the greenhouse when your meeting is over. I'll be waiting.

 

 

 


As I thought of the only person who could have possibly done this, I can't help but smile. Why do I feel nauseous every time I think about her? 

 

 

It's been more than a month since our trip to the country club but it seems like everything that happened was only yesterday. There's a strange sensation I feel every time I remember the kiss. Or the song. Or every moment I had with her.

 

 

 


Screw you for messing up my mind, Lisa.

 

 

 

 

 

I closed the note and kept it in my pocket. Barely being able to contain my excitement, I ran all the way to the greenhouse. 

 

 

 


By the time I got there I was panting so I had to catch my breath first before I decided to walk inside. I don't want her to know I ran all the way here because I'm thrilled to see her. Even if that really is the case.

 

 


I entered the room to find no one in the bench beside the fountain. She must be around here somewhere.

 

 

"Lisa? Where are you?" I called.

 

 

 

 

 

"Lisa? The girl with the bangs? Really Jennie?" I heard someone say. I turned around and found Saoirse walking towards me.

 

 


"Wait, this is from you?" I pulled out the note from my pocket.

 

 

"Yeah. I'm surprised you didn't figure that out. This is where we used to hang out before, remember?" She stopped inches away from me then smiled, "This was our special place."

 

 

I frowned. I'm tired and disappointed.

 

 


"What do you want?" I asked, doing my best to show my lack of interest.

 

 

"Don't tell me you really didn't miss me?" I ignored her. "Really Jennie? I've been gone for almost two years and there's not a tiny part of you that missed me?"

 

 


I looked at her and saw her eyes starting to tear up. I'm not in the mood to have this conversation.

 

 

"This is unbelievable," she began crying. I fought off the urge to hug her. I'm not falling for that. "You know what? I came back here because of you."

 

 

I looked up to her, "What?"

 

 

"I-I came back here for you."

 

 

"Why?"

 

 

"Because I wanna start over again... with you. I want you back," she held my hand. "Can we please try this again?"

 

 

I scoffed at her, "What makes you think I would want to do that? Saoirse you ruined my life."

 


"Jennie I'm sorry. I know how stupid it was. I was immature back then--"

 

 

"SORRY? YOU HAVE NO IDEA WHAT HELL YOU PUT ME THROUGH WHEN THE NEWS SPREAD OUT. I COULDN'T COME TO SCHOOL FOR WEEKS BECAUSE I WAS SO EMBARASSED. AND MY FAMILY WAS SUCH A WRECK THAT TIME BEING AT OUR HOUSE FELT WORSE THAN FACING OTHERS"

 

 


She continued to sob, "I-I'm really sorry. I was just so hurt when you broke up with me that day th-that's why I did that. I regret everything I did now."

 


"You know very well why I had to break up with you. I explained it--"

 

 

"BUT IT DIDN'T MAKE IT LESS PAINFUL," she bellowed at me. "YOU WERE THE ONLY GOOD THING IN MY LIFE BACK THEN AND YOU LEFT ME THE MOMENT IT GOT HARD FOR YOU" 

 

 

"I JUST MADE A CHOICE" 

 

 


"And clearly it wasn't me," she cried harder. "Why... why couldn't it have been me Jennie?"

 

 

I couldn't answer her. I'm doing my best not to look into her eyes again because I can't stand to see anyone getting hurt by me.

 


Instead of answering her, I began to walk away. 

 

 

I heard her laugh, "Classic Jennie. Fine, just walk away. You always do." 

 

 

I ignored her and just kept on walking. Before I close the door behind me I heard her say something again.

 


"You know what? I feel so sorry for the next person who's gonna love you because you're selfish. You don't care if you hurt others as long as you save yourself."

 

 

 

At the back of my mind, I know she's right. And that is exactly why I don't want Lisa to fall in love with me.

 

 

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A/N: Some of you guys are asking who is the character for Saoirse. I thought of someone but she's a kdrama actress and I'm not sure if you'll like her. It's Kim Ji Won :)