Chapter 15: Maybe I Do

With or Without You

Jennie's POV

 


"That wraps up tonight's gig, thanks everyone for listening! I'll see you again on Thursday." And with that Rosé left the stage and joined us in our booth.

 


It's only the second day of classes since the sembreak and we're here hanging out at a bar on a school night. Now before you go judging and calling us irresponsible, I'm gonna tell you right ahead that we're not here to get wasted.

 


The owner of Oakridge Bar is one of Rosé's good friends so he invited her to jam with the band last week. And guess what? The audience LOVED her. She was only supposed to sing one song but since everyone was asking for more, she ended up singing the entire night. So the owner thought she should work here every Tuesdays and Thursdays.


And being the ever supportive friends we are, we decided to come with her (and she might have bribed us and said she'd buy us free drinks if we come).

 


"Damn Chaeyoung that was amazing!" Lisa shouted the moment Rosé got back.

 

 


I'm still not used to seeing her with brown hair. I kinda miss the orange one. I told her last week that I think her hair's natural color looks better but I didn't think she'd actually do it. Imagine my surprise when she came to school yesterday as a brunette. Though I have to admit, she did look cuter.

 

 


"Really? I thought my voice was kinda shaky. I was afraid it didn't sound good."

 


"Are you kidding? We didn't even notice." Jisoo replied

 


She blushed, "Aw thanks you guys. That really means a lot."

 


"Hey maybe we could request a song next time?" I asked

 

 

"Oh yeah that would be great!"

 

 

"Yes I was thinking maybe you could do a little Mariah Carey" Jisoo suggested

 


"Or Celine Dion!" I added

 

 

"NO," she cleared because her voice sounded a bit squeaky. "I'm not confident enough to sing those kind of songs."

 


"Why not? You could totally pull it off"

 


"I don't know... I just don't feel like it. I think I'm gonna stick to songs that make you wanna sleep or something." We all laughed. "What? I mean mellow songs. You know, the kind that makes you wanna sit back and relax."

 

 

After a lengthy discussion of what songs Rosé should sing next time, we finally remembered to order drinks.

 


Jisoo requested tequila which I immediately shot down. I AM NOT GETTING HAMMERED AGAIN BECAUSE OF YOU, were the exact words that came out of my mouth. So in the end, they decided to order beer. Oh and I forgot to tell you...

 

 

 

 

 

 

Lisa started drinking alcohol too. Jisoo and Rosé were surprised when she took a bottle for herself and chugged it effortlessly. 

 

"Since when did you start drinking beer?" Jisoo said gaping at Lisa

 

 

"I tasted it back when..." then she looked at me with a playful smile on her face. This . "I can't remember anymore. All I know is I tasted it."

 


"Yay Lisa's not a baby anymore!" Rosé cheered, we all laughed.

 


We were down to four beers left, one for each of us, when Rosé thought of something.

 


"Let's play a drinking game!"

 


"What? We only got four beers left."

 


"That'll do. And we could always order more if we want to. Come on it will be fun"

 


"What game?"

 

 

"Never have I ever," We all looked at her with a puzzled expression. She widened her eyes, "YOU GUYS DON'T KNOW THAT GAME?"

 

 

"I'm sorry we don't drink that much unlike you" Lisa retorted in which she got an eye roll from Rosé.

 


"It goes like this, each person would take turns in saying an action or anything anyone probably could have done, and if you have done that thing, you have to drink."

 

 

"I'm not sure I get it," I said

 


"I think I do," Jisoo replied. "Like for example I say, Never have I ever cheated on an exam. Then whoever has done that should drink. Am I right?" She turned to Rosé in which she nodded in response.

 


When everybody fully understood the mechanics, the game started. We were all having so much fun that we decided to order a few more beers. Talk about not getting wasted. 

 


We were halfway through our fourth bottle when I noticed something in Jisoo's statements. 

 


"Never have I ever thought of dating a friend" We all drank. Even Jisoo. I don't know why she chose that.

 


I started becoming more suspicious in her next statements.


"Never have I ever wanted to kiss a girl"

 

"Never have I ever thought of having a girlfriend"

 

"Never have I ever screwed up with a friend"

 

 

All of my suspicions were confirmed the moment she said the last statement for the night.

 

"Never have I ever had a crush on Jennie"

 

 

 

 

 

 


And the only one who drank was Lisa. Jisoo gasped while Rosé shrieked.

 

 

"WE KNEW IT"

 

 

Before the interrogation starts I excused myself to go to the bathroom. I didn't notice both of them followed me.

 

 

"Looks like someone's avoiding something" Rosé teased me

 


"What-- why did you guys follow me? I can't believe you left Lisa alone"

 


"Nah she's fine. I mean she's clearly hammered. I don't think she'll remember anything she said or did tomorrow," Jisoo replied. "So how does it feel?"

 


"What?"

 

 

They both raised an eyebrow at me. I swear I don't know what they're talking about.

 


"You know..." Rosé started, "Finding out she likes you back."

 


"Woah there. What do you mean 'likes me back'? I DON'T LIKE HER"

 

 

"Is that why you kept the notes she copied for you when you were gone for three days in your safety cabinet?" Jisoo questioned me.

 


"And isn't she the subject of each poem you've been writing lately?" Rosé added.

 


"Or why you're planning to throw a surprise birthday party for her next week?" They both said at the same time.

 

 

"HOW DID YOU KNOW ABOUT THAT? AND HEY I HELPED IN PLANNING YOUR BIRTHDAY PARTY" I yelled at Jisoo

 

 

"But the three of us planned that. And I'm your cousin so you kinda had to do it even if you didn't want to. But this is different... you don't have to do this for her yet you are doing it."

 


"Yeah, you could just buy her a simple present and greet her happy birthday like normal friends do."

 


I was dumbfounded. Good thing it didn't take a while for me to think of an answer.

 

"Okay guys first, I only kept the notes because it was a sweet gesture. Probably the sweetest one a friend has done for me," I sneered at them. "Second, the poems are not about her. And third, I thought about throwing a party for her because she's new here and she doesn't have any family in the country."

 

 

They looked at me suspiciously. "So you mean you have absolutely no feelings for her?"

 

 

"Nope."

 

 

"Like at all?"

 

 

I shook my head, "Nuh-uh. And besides, if I do like her then I should've told her when she admitted she has feelings for me"

 

 

 

"SHE WHAT?" Triple . I shouldn't have told them that. Nice going self. 

 


Seeing I don't have any way out, I told them about what happened the morning after we got drunk during the camping trip. I left out the part about the kiss though. I know they won't shut up about it if they find out.

 


"HOW CAN YOU NOT LIKE HER BACK JENNIE RUBY JANE" Rosé even pulled her hair to show how frustrated she was. I just shrugged.

 


A few moments later people started coming in the restroom so we decided to leave. Before we got back to the table Jisoo pulled me in a corner and said something.

 


"I care about you so much Jen and you know I'm saying this because I love you, BUT DEAR GOD YOU'RE INCREDIBLY DENSE. I don't know how you're managing to make yourself believe that you don't like her but you obviously do."

 

 

I was about to say something when she covered my mouth with her hand. Gross, it's salty.

 


"Look, you have to realize it sooner okay? Because if you don't, she's gonna slip right off your hands." And with that she went back to the table.

 


I followed her and tried to look unbothered by what she said. When I got back to the table Lisa was laughing hysterically over something Rosé said. And after seeing that I realized...

 

 

 

 

 

 


Maybe Jisoo is right.