Chapter 12: The Morning After

With or Without You


Lisa's POV

 


I woke up to the sound of a phone ringing followed by a series of annoyed grunts.

 

 


I checked the time from my phone, 4:17. Who the hell sets an alarm at 4am when the call time is at 7am?

 

 


"KEEP IT DOWN WILL YOU" A voice said from the tent beside ours. Jisoo is obviously not feeling well.

 

 


I turned to face Jennie who is still deep asleep, unaware that it's her phone ringing.

 

 


A lot of things crossed my mind the moment I saw her face. All about the incident that happened a few hours ago. 

 


Will she remember the kiss? If not, should I confront her about it? But what if it starts to become awkward? If she does remember, then does that mean she's aware of what she did and that she really wanted it? 

 

 

 

Damn, you're really overthinking this Lisa.

 

 

 

Of course I am. She's Jennie for pete's sake. Every single reservation I had about my feelings for her all vanished the moment I felt her lips against mine.

 

 


I know I won't be able to avoid this so I'm gonna have to acknowledge it. 

 

 

 

 


I like Jennie.

 

 


How can I not? A smile from her can turn the worst day into a good one. Her laugh, her wits... everything about her is just absolutely amazing. The way she talks about her passion for writing, her fascination for art, and how she supports me in the things I do. 

 

 


. What am I gonna do?

 

 

 


I picked up her phone then muted it. I should probably get back to sleep. I need all the energy I can get to face her when she wakes up.

 

 

---


Jennie's POV

 

"Good morning! How was everyone's sleep?" The principal greeted us while we're having our breakfast.

 

 


"Does he have to say that in such a loud voice?" Chaeyoung muttered angrily.

 

 


I can't even begin to describe how wasted we are. Chaeng's usual bubbly aura is now replaced with a somewhat dark cloud over her head. Jisoo currently has her head slumped on a bowl of oatmeal. You have no idea how hard it is to get her to get up earlier. We literally had to drag her away from the tent.

 

 


Lesson I learned from last night: Never (EVER) let Jisoo convince you into doing stupid things

 

 


"Here are your drinks ladies," Lisa said while setting down a tray with 3 cups. "Warm milk for sweet little Rosé, Latte for Jisoo the sleepyhead, and Caramel Machiato with 3 shots of espresso for you," she carefully handed me the cup without even looking at me. 

 

 


She's been acting weird since this morning. For instance, we were getting water from the dispenser earlier and we happened to reach for the same cup and when our hands touched she instantly backed away like I was a filthy, germ-filled hobo.

 

 


I hope this doesn't have anything to do with what happened last night.

 

 


Yes I admit what I did was pretty stupid. But hey, I blame the alcohol. I don't even know why I thought of doing that. 

 

 


"Hey, can we talk?"

 

 


I turned to her with a startled and slightly puzzled expression. Oh no, she wants to talk about it. I stood up and motioned her to come with me. She waited until we got out of earshot before she spoke.

 

 

"I have to tell you something," she was looking down to the ground while saying those words. "I don't know if you remember anything at all but something happened."

 

 


She lifted her face and our eyes met. I felt a slight tingle of electricity flowing through my body.

 

"I know this is gonna sound unbelievable and I totally understand if you're not gonna believe me but..." she paused, obviously struggling to get the words out. "...we kissed."

 

 


"I-I know."

 

 


Her eyes widened, "What?"

 

 


"Well I was kinda aware of what I was doing last night."

 

 


Her look of uncertainty was immediately replaced with a meaningful smile.

 

 


"That's nice to know. Because I was meaning to tell you one more thing."

 

 


"What is it?"

 

 


"I like you," she looked at me in the eye again. "And not just as a friend."

 

 


Staring at her with my mouth slightly open is probably not the best way to respond to what she just said. Nevertheless, that's what I did.

 

 

"I'm sorry, what?" Were the only words I managed to say. She laughed. 

 

 


"I like you." She said in a slightly louder voice.

 

 


"Why? Is this because of the kiss?"

 

 


"No," she bit her lower lip before continuing. "I knew at the back of my mind I started liking you  the moment you held my hand during the championship months ago. But the kiss may have helped me in admitting my feelings to myself."

 

 


Now I'm officially at a loss for words. How did I not see this coming? I really must start taking it seriously when Chaeyoung and Jisoo tells me I'm incredibly dense.

 

 


I sat down on the ground trying to absorb what Lisa just said. Finally after a few moments, I gathered the strength to say something.

 

 


"You can't like me."

 

 

She looked at me with a confused expression, "Why?"

 

 


"Because I'm a dead end for you." I can't look her in the eye. It's too heartbreaking to see her in pain. And even more heartbreaking to know I'm the reason.

 

 


I stood up and began walking away before I start to cry when she pulled my hand and wrapped me in her arms.

 

 


"You can't keep on walking away when things are getting hard, Jen." She said, hugging me tighter. "And you're not a dead end."

 

 


I pushed her, "Yes I am!" I tried to hold back my tears but to no avail. "We can only be friends and now I don't even know if I could do that knowing I broke your heart."

 

 


"What? Of course you still can." She held my hand, "Look, I can't say I didn't see this coming. And I'm not gonna lie, yes it hurts," she tried to fake a smile. "But I would rather have you even just as a friend than to not have you in my life at all."

 

 

"What about your feelings?"

 

 


"Easy," she clicked an imaginary switch in her chest. "Now it's off." 

 

 

I can't help but laugh. "What do you mean it's off?"

 

 


"I just clicked the off switch. You know, like Ted Mosby from How I Met Your Mother. I turned my feelings off and now we can forget this whole thing happened."

 

 


"There's no off switch."

 

 

"Yes there is. You just saw me activate it."

 

 

I laughed at her again, "You're an idiot."

 

 

 

She's right, I can't imagine myself not being in her life... and the other way around.