Chapter 17: The Arrow And The Heart

With or Without You

Jennie's POV

 


"Hurry up slowpokes we gotta get there before the sun sets!"

 

 

I heard Rosé groan followed by Jisoo whispering to Lisa, "I can't believe you like her"

 

 


I threw my teddy bear at her.

 

 


"I heard that. I can't believe no one followed the schedule I made for this trip. I even color coded it!"

 

 


"Nobody likes your color coded schedules Jen" 

 

 


I scoffed at her, "I'm sorry for wanting to be organized"

 

 


"Jennie we're going on a vacation in my parents' country club. There's no need for schedules and call times." Jisoo retorted.

 

 


Yup, you heard it right. We're going on a vacation in Jisoo's country club. Rosé thought it was a good idea to spend time together before Christmas since we won't be able to see each other then.

 

 


Just thinking about the spa and yoga sessions from that place gets me all giddy. Jisoo and I always spend our summer vacation there when we were kids. Their country club provides a lot of fun activities ranging from sports to water activities.

 

 

 

After repeatedly rushing them in packing, we finally left. It's a 5-hour journey from our place to Oasis Springs so Lisa and I decided to take turns in driving.

 

 


30 minutes into the journey Rosé suddenly remembered something.

 

 

 

" I forgot my toothbrush"

 

 


"We can share mine" Jisoo offered

 

 


"Plain gross Jisoo," she replied. "Don't you have those in your country club? I mean like the free ones hotels provide?"

 

 

 

"I guess so. I never tried asking for one."

 

 


"No one would've forgotten her toothbrush if you just checked the schedule I made. It even has a list attached of the things you should bring," I rubbed in their faces

 

 


"For the nth time, Jennie. No one checks that."

 

 

 

"I do" Lisa answered

 

 


"Of course you do. You're," then she imitated the sound of a whip.

 

 


"What is that supposed to mean?"

 

 


"Whipped" Rosé and Jisoo said at the same time. Lisa just chuckled.

 

 


"I am putting my earphones on and I'm ignoring all of you." I told them.

 

 


It was probably because of the music or the cold breeze coming from the airconditioner I didn't notice I fell asleep.

 

 


When I woke up it's already 5pm and we're entering the gate of Oasis Springs.

 

 


"OHMYGOD WE'RE HERE ALREADY?!"

 

 


"WHY ARE YOU SHOUTING WE'RE LITERALLY INCHES AWAY FROM EACH OTHER" Lisa yelled back

 

 


"I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU DIDN'T WAKE ME UP TO SWITCH"

 

 


"SHOULDN'T YOU BE THANKFUL INSTEAD"

 

 


"YOU JUST DROVE FOR 5 HOURS WHY DIDN'T YOU WAKE ME UP" I replied completely ignoring what she just said.

 

 


"I'M SORRY YOU JUST LOOKED SO PEACEFUL ASLEEP I DIDN'T WANT TO WAKE YOU UP"

 

 


"Oh."

 

 


I heard someone snicker from the back of the car, "That shut you up."

 


***

 

Rosé's POV

 

After eating our dinner last night we went straight to bed. Even Jennie and Lisa were so exhausted from the car ride we didn't even hear them argue at least once. Also, no one complained about the room assignment. 

 

 


We're now on our way to the race track since Jennie and Jisoo won't stop arguing on who's better in horseback riding. Yup, they're having a race.

 

 


"You really can't remember how often I kicked your in racing when we were kids eh?" Jisoo teased Jennie

 

 


"That was one time! And Lady Alexander wasn't feeling well that time so it doesn't count."

 

 


"Yes it does!"

 

 


"Does not!"

 

 


Lisa nudged me in the arm, "Hey wanna bet?"

 

 


"Lisa sweetie you really wanna do this?" I asked her. "Every time you bet on something you lose."

 

 


"That's not true!"

 

 


"Remember when we played pool? How about when we betted how many marshmallows Jisoo can put inside until she throws up? Or when--"

 

 


"Yeah I remember now. You can shut up," she pouted. "Come on just this one more time. I've never tried watching horse racing."

 

 


"Fine. What are the stakes?"

 

 


"I don't know. Let's just decide after someone wins."

 

 


"Deal" then we shook our hands.

 

 


We went over to tell the cousins about our bet and it got them even more inspired to win.

 

 


"Who are you betting on?" Jennie asked Lisa

 

 


"You of course" she replied nonchalantly. "You know I'll always bet on you." Then she winked at her.

 

 


And with that, Jennie's cheeks turned tomato-red.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


I'm not sure if it was because of Jennie's desire to beat Jisoo or Lisa's "You know I'll always bet on you" spiel, but Jennie won.

 

 


And I think they forgot there were still other people present because the moment Jennie got down from her horse, she ran straight to Lisa and hugged her.

 

 


"I won! I won I won I won!" She said while still hugging Lisa.

 

 


"I know." Lisa said when they pulled away from each other. Then she patted Jennie's head like a child, "That's my girl."

 

 


Jisoo and I exchanged meaningful glances and I know we're both thinking the same thing,

 

 


WHY AREN'T THESE TWO STILL TOGETHER?

 


---


Lisa's POV

 


It's our third day here at the club and we already tried the zipline (Rosé's choice), spa (Jennie's choice), and golf (my choice).

 

 


Since Jisoo's choice of activity was parasailing, and Jennie gets seasick, she decided not to come. And being the good friend I was, I chose to stay and accompany her.

 

 


Jisoo and Rosé said they'll probably be coming back in the evening. So by midday, Jennie and I were already bored as hell.

 

 

"Why don't we go boat riding? I saw a beautiful lake beyond the golf course yesterday." I suggested

 

 


"I don't like that lake. It looks like the ones you see in horror movies."

 

 


"Come on it will be fun. They say it's relaxing. Pleeeease," I pouted at her.

 

 


She acted like she was about to throw up, "Fine. Just please don't do that again." I laughed.

 

 


We got up and went to the lake. It's more beautiful up close. There are no one else here aside from us so it's peaceful.

 

 


We got on the boat and I untied the rope that was holding it back. 

 

 


"This isn't so bad after all." Jennie said as she smiled.

 

 


I stopped rowing the boat when we reached the middle part of the lake and we just sat there staring at the water. Wow, this really is relaxing 

 

 


"I'm trying to write a short story" 

 

 


I looked at her. She's still staring blankly into the water as if her mind's wandering.

 

 


"Really? What's it about?"

 

 


"About an arrow with a heart pierced through it."

 

 


"Can you tell me the story?"

 

 


"No. Because if I do then you will no longer read it once it's done. I was planning to show it to you first when I finish it."

 

 


"That's not true. I promise I will still read it."

 

 


She laughed. "I'm not even sure I can turn it into a book. You see, it's supposed to have illustrations. But I don't know a single thing about drawing."

 

 


"I can draw it for you." I volunteered.

 

 


She finally looked at me. "Really? You'd do that?"

 

 


"Of course," I smiled at her. "Now tell me all about it."

 

 


She shifted from her seat and faced me. "There's this arrow who was getting tired of its pointy life. It just kept flying around, wandering without a purpose. Until one day, it started to feel heavier. It looked at itself and noticed there was a heart pierced through it."

 

"The arrow asked, whose heart are you and how did you get here? But the heart did not reply. So the arrow flew around searching for the owner of the heart. As time went by, the arrow was getting used to carrying the heart. It didn't mind if it had to fly around carrying it wherever it went. The heart was starting to become a part of it. But one day the owner of the heart showed up and claimed it. The heart then slowly moved away from the arrow. The heart didn't say anything. It didn't need to. After the heart disappeared, the arrow found it hard to go back to its usual life before the heart got pierced through it."

 

 


I was listening to her intently that I didn't notice the long pause meant the story was over. 


"That's it?" She nodded. "Wait what happened to the arrow after? Did the heart ever come back?"

 

 


She just shrugged. "I don't know. Did you like it?"

 

 


"Yeah it's a great story. But it kinda leaves you hanging."

 

 


"I guess that's the beauty of it. It's realistic." She's back to staring at the water. "Not every story gets a clear ending in real life."

 

 


I stared at her. I may not know where she's coming from but I know she's going through something.

 

 


In order to distract her from her thoughts, I stood up and started dancing.

 

 


"What are you doing?" She said while laughing at me.

 

 


"Dancing." Then I started hopping.

 

 

 

"STOP THAT YOU MIGHT FALL INTO THE WATER"

 

 


I ignored her and kept dancing, "I'm not afraid of falling"

 

 


"Oh really?"

 

 

 

"Yep" then she started rocking the boat. She kept rocking it sideways so I lost my balance and fell into the lake.

 

 


She laughed at me for a long time so I started sprinkling water at her.

 

 


"STOP THAT YOU'RE GONNA GET ME ALL WET LIKE YOU" she said while catching her breath.

 

 


"Come on the water's great" then I kept sprinkling water at her.

 

 


"I DONT WANT TO SWIM"

 

 


"Fine," I conceded. "Help me up then" I stretched my hand out to her.

 

 


The moment she held my hand I pulled her so she fell into the water as well.

 

 

"WHAT THE HELL I DON'T KNOW HOW TO SWIM" she yelled at me.

 

 


Because she was struggling to swim, I thought of helping her. Then an unexpected thing happened. We both leaned in to each other at the same time causing our faces to collide with one another. We kissed... on the lips. 

 

 


I immediately pulled myself away from her, " I didn't mean to do that. I'm sorry"

 

 

 


She stared at me for a while then spoke, "I'm not." Then she leaned in again and kissed me.

 

 


I was so surprised I wasn't able to kiss back. It felt unreal. I felt like I was dreaming.

 

 

But then she bit my lower lip, causing me to realize I'm not really dreaming. So I did what I was always dying to do...

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I kissed her back.

 

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Author's Note: Hope you guys are enjoying this ^^ huge thanks to everyone reading it and an even bigger thanks to the ones commenting <3 

 

I just finished outlining this story (yes, I already thought about the ending) and I want you to know it will not exceed 30 chapters.

 

Thanks again for the support! :)