Chapter 31: Hangover

With or Without You

One Year Later

The cold winter breeze brushed against Jennie's , making her shiver as she walked the empty street from Chahee's dorm to the nearest coffeehouse.

All she needs right now is a nice hot cup of coffee (and probably a croissant) to relieve her from the tremendous throbbing of her head. She made a mental note to hit Chahee the next time she sees her for letting her get wasted last night.

The semester just ended and what way of celebrating did her not-so-responsible friend suggest? By clubbing. She even gave her this dress which she begrudgingly obliged to wear.

Thank God the coffeehouse was only a few blocks away or else her feet would have given up on her. She would've taken her heels off if the snow weren't unbearably cold.

The coffeehouse has a different kind of warmth this season. With all the lights and the huge Christmas tree placed near the counter.

"One caramel machiato with five shots of espresso and a croissant," she could barely get the words out of , let alone get the money out of her wallet. She almost made the cashier do it for her.

"Would you like me to bring your order to your table instead ma'am?" The nice lady offered, apparently sensing that she's gonna fall on the floor any minute now.

"That would be nice, thank you."

Her hungover state is not an excuse for her to not choose her favorite spot, even though it's located at the farthest end of the coffeehouse.

This place had been her sanctuary ever since they moved here. She'd spend hours reading different books, trying her best to distract herself from how much she misses home.

The past year was hell. She cried every night for the first two months with only one person in mind, wondering where it all went wrong. She had a lot of questions but she didn't bother asking them, afraid that hearing that certain person's voice will make her want to go back and never leave her side again.

Being able to talk to Jisoo and Chaeyoung again was a huge help to her. Especially now that they're okay again. In fact, they started dating two months ago.

Jennie would video call them each night, hoping she might catch a glimpse of Lisa somewhere in the background. Unfortunately, it never happened.

Her train of thoughts were interrupted when she heard her phone ringing.

Who the hell would be calling me at 5 in the morning? she thought to herself.

"Whoever this is, I'm gonna ask you to call me back in a few hours because I'm dealing with an awful headache and I'm not in the mood--"

"Good morning to you too, Jennie."

She instantly opened her eyes at the sound of Jisoo's voice.

"Chu? Is there something wrong?"

"There's nothing wrong, jendeuk. Just wanted to check on you."

"At 5 in the morning? What time is it there?"

The older girl chuckled, "Yeah right, don't pretend you don't know the time here. We both know you keep a spare watch that you set into Korea's time just to know if Lisa is up or not."

"Is there really a need to attack, Chu? I'm beginning to think you only called just to annoy me. Don't you have Chaeng there to pick on?"

"She's still asleep. And I'm sorry but this is my way of telling you I miss you. Don't you have any plans in visiting here?"

"You know why I can't go there."

"Because of Lisa? Well that's not fair. She's not the only one missing you."

"Hah, as if. I bet she doesn't even remember me anymore," she said, her voice etched with bitterness which was enough to make her own gut wrench.

"If you only knew," she didn't bother hiding her amusement at the younger girl's bitterness. "By the way, where are you right now? I can hear other people's voices."

"I'm at the coffeehouse right now. I'm having this really horrible headache so I figured I should get a hot cup of coffee."

"Looks like someone got wasted last night."

"I don't wanna talk about it."

"Why? Come on, spill. Did someone hit on you? Of course someone did."

"Yeah, and he reeks of alcohol and vomit. He almost puked on me Chu," she was both annoyed and happy while listening to the older girl laugh at the other end of the line. It's been a long time since they talked like this. "You really enjoy my misery don't you? Schadenfreude."

"Can you blame me? It's hilarious. Where exactly is that coffeehouse you're at?"

"18A Bueller's Street. Why?"

"Nothing. Oh Chaeng's waking up. Gotta go, bye mandu."

"What, hey let me talk to her for a wh--"

The call ended before she could even finish what she was saying, which was partly a relief since she's dying to get home and continue her sleep.

The coffee was indeed helpful, though she's still gonna need an aspirin when she gets home. But at least she can walk straight now unlike earlier.

She went back outside and was immediately greeted by the cold once more. She was too hungover earlier to remember grabbing her coat before leaving Chahee's place. Thankfully, their house was only a few blocks away from where she came from.

The entire house was silent when she got home, her parents might still be asleep. She proceeded to her room and was about to let herself fall on her bed when she saw a lump shaped like a person underneath her blanket.

She gently lifted it and found the person she least expected to be there.

Is her mind making up things? Maybe she misses her so much so her brain's configuring some sort of realistic figure.

She slightly poked the cheek of the person, causing her to wake up.

"Oh hey. Sorry I didn't see you come in. I was suppose to wait for you to come home but obviously I fell asleep," the doe-eyed girl said as she sat up, fighting the urge to hug the girl in front of her.

"What are you doing here?"

"I...I came to talk to you."

"Why? I thought we're through."

"I thought so too. But I can't take this anymore. I can't spend another day without seeing you."

Hearing those words made Jennie want to jump into the younger girl's arms and cry her heart out, but she opted not to. She's still not convinced what's happening right now is real.

"But you told me to leave."

Tears were starting to form in Lisa's eyes but she was doing her best to hold it back to keep her voice from cracking.

"And there's not a day that went by that I didn't regret not going after you."

Jennie could feel her knees getting weak, so she sat at the edge of the bed before crying.
 

"Lisa...I don't know. This is too much. I've only had 3 hours of sleep last night and I'm not in the right state now to settle things like this."

"Do you want me to leave and just come back later?"

"No," she pushed the younger girl to lie back again and went beside her before placing her arms around her. It didn't escape her notice that Lisa was now thinner than she used to be.

"I want you here beside me. I'm not letting you go again, not this time." She said as she closed her eyes and had the most peaceful sleep she's had for months.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A/N: Second to the last chapter for this story guys! Will try my best to finish this before the week ends. Also, I'll be making the first few chapters of the second book after the last chapter of WOWY.

Thanks a lot for being so patient with the updates! All the love. J