Chapter 63: Talk You Down

YG Auditions

 

"The number you have called is not yet in service."

 
I stared at my phone's screen with a furrowed brow as it kept repeating the same line over and over again.
 
Where is that girl??
 
This was the only place left among the places I know I'd find Norah if she ever felt being alone and recluse. I've been to her favourite coffee places, two museums she frequents and the usual places she'd dine out but there's still no sign of her. If she's still not here..... I immediately stopped my thoughts from going down that road and instead stared at her door warily. I huffed out a breath in mild exasperation at my indecision and finally gave up my internal battle about entering Norah's apartment uninvited. I punched in her code and within seconds the door unlocked to lead me to her living room. The loud exaggerated singing of Troye Sivan's Fools that greeted me upon entry was enough for me to figure out where Norah is. I headed straight for her room and determinedly knocked on her bedroom door ignoring how relieved I felt at finding her home. Even if I did manage to find Norah, there's still the matter of seeing how she's  doing after her meeting with Sajangnim and to help her about  whatever she and hyung talked about. The loud singing of the chorus to Fools abruptly stopped and only after a few beats did Norah call out to me that her door is unlocked.
 
Despite her quiet invitation, I still hesitated as I grasped the cool metal of her doorknob. Whoever said that ignorance is bliss is wrong. Especially when I feel so useless for not knowing what to say or do at this situation. But that's is not what's important right now. I gripped the doorknb tighter and turned it. 
 
I stepped inside her room to be met by the sight of my best friend with her feet propped up against her headboard and her long black hair fanned out behind her. The clothes she was wearing awhile ago was haphazardly thrown aside on the floor along with her bag and shoes. She was wearing a fresh change of clothes and her hands were clasped together on top of her stomach. I can also see even from this side of the room that she had on her earphones. I only noticed that her eyes were closed once I was near enough her bed. I hesitantly sat at the edge of her bed, waiting if she would acknowledge my presence or start talking about what happened at Sajangnim's office. However, instead of doing those things, Norah merely tapped the bed on her left side in a clear invitation to join her in her prone position. I opened my mouth to decline but looking at Norah, it was plain as day that she has no intention of talking about anything especially about what happened earlier at the office. It's funny how I fretted so much about what I can do to help her when it turns out all she wants is company right now. I inhaled deeply and steeled myself as I toed off my shoes to copy her position on her bed. Once I was finally settled, Norah offered me one of her earphones without even uttering one word. I stared at the profile of her face for a fleeting moment before accepting her offered earphone and putting it on my right ear. I tore my eyes away from her profile and focused my gaze on her ceiling while we both listened to the music on her phone. 
 
For awhile, the only sound that can be heard in her room were the music coming from her phone. We didn't talk nor move in our prone positions as time passed. Where Norah was silent and seemingly serene, I was anything but. Even in the quiet, thoughts buzzed through to my head wondering about what she was thinking and feeling as well as being highly conscious of the inches separating our arms from touching. However, as Talk Me Down started playing I felt her fingertips graze the back of my hand hesitantly as if asking permission. Without looking at her, I reached out for her open palm and intertwined our hands. The firm grip she had on my right hand was enough for me to understand without hearing her talk about her feelings. I gripped her hand just as tightly, stamping down once more the urge to steal a glance to see the expression on her face. This, right here, is enough.
 
Every now and then, I would brush my thumb across the back of her hand as my way of silently comforting her with my eyes still resolutely fixed on her ceiling. We stayed in that position throughout the night until sleep claimed us with Troye Sivan's soothing voice lulling us to sleep. 
 
As I fell asleep, a line from Talk Me Down echoed in my head until it was the last thing I can remember along with the feeling of Norah's smooth palm against mine. 
 
"I wanna hold hands with you but that's all I want to do right now"

 


HELLO FROM THE OTHER SIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDEEEEEEEEEEE~
 
I know, I know. What the hell, right? Why did I take so long to bloody update my story? I'm sorry. I have nothing to blame but myself and my laziness. In return for your patience, I put up another.... well not really a new chapter but more of a teaser of what's to come. I'll do my best to update by next week to follow this up. Thank you so much for subscribing and reading my work <3<3 it means so much to me, you have no idea.
 
Also, I really encourage you to check out Troye Sivan's music and Youtube channel if you haven't already. He is a gem, a precious rainbow gem. His songs make my heart ache and flutter at the same time. 
 
- Rexiefauliks