Chapter 50: A Collaboration

YG Auditions

 

 

"Your pronunciation's still slightly off but your recording sounds good." Seungho told me as he took a sip from his iced Americano while leaning back on the chair he was lounging on across from mine. We were currently inside Seungho's office at YG's Creative Department, taking a break from the work that we were doing for 2ne1's upcoming photo shoots for several endorsement deals as well as their outfits for their live performances on various music shows for their comeback. I was sketching rough drafts of clothes while Seungho was just listening to my latest recording on my phone that Teddy sent to me. I looked up from my sketchbook and replied, "Teddy Oppa pointed that out to me too last time. I guess I need to practice and study my Korean lessons more often." He nodded at this absently as he continued to listen to my latest recording in my iPhone since I asked for his opinion on what I can improve on in my vocal training.

 

"How's that coming along by the way? I heard from Ji that Seungri - ah disrupted one of your lessons a few days after he came back from Japan." He asked me in amusement. "It's fine, he helped me catch up with my missed lesson and Mrs. Riley actually commended him on that. Seungri Oppa can surprisingly teach. Although in an annoying totalitarian way but it works." I replied to him drily, remembering the way Seungri forced me to write and read, over and over again just so I can memorize the Korean alphabet by heart. Seungho chuckled at this, and rolled his eyes at the mental picture I gave him. "I bet you wanted to wring his neck the entire time. I know how much you hate it when someone watches you work. You barely tolerate me when I observe you sketch and sew for practice what more if Seungri is looming behind you like an overgrown vulture."

 

"You have no idea. I told him that I was writing his suicide letter already because I will make his death look like a suicide instead of a brutal assassination. But he didn't buy it, and just told me to write some more." I pouted in frustration, remembering how Seungri told me that my bark is louder than my bite. "That's cause you're all talk." Seungho retorted with a sip of his coffee. "You really should put into action your threats so people will take it seriously. Oh, by the way I like your recording of Hayi - ssi's Pabo." I got caught off guard at the sudden compliment and I bit my lip to suppress my smile but it was futile, judging by the smirk Seungho gave me. I huffed at him and stuck out my tongue instead of replying, focusing on the sketch book in front of me instead, in my embarrassment. I really absolutely hate getting easily flustered at a simple compliment given to me, but I can't help it, especially when I know for a fact that Seungho doesn't easily say compliments to anyone. I surreptitiously looked up from my work to see Seungho’s attention once more become preoccupied with my phone which gave me an opportunity to mumble my thanks before hastily looking down to avoid catching his eye. I refused to look up from my work even if I know that he glanced my way and I can practically see in my mind's eye his smirk at my flustered state.

 

For awhile we remained like that, just sitting across from each other in companionable silence, doing our own thing. However, after awhile I can feel his eyes on me and I couldn't help but look up at him curiously to see what's wrong. I was met by the sight of Seungho stirring his straw in his half - empty cup of coffee with a contemplative look on his face, my iPhone and the earphones he was using awhile ago now cast aside on the table in between the two of us. "What is it?" I asked him when he still continued staring blankly at me despite the fact that I was watching him curiously. "Hmm? Nothing. Just thinking." He replied distractedly but his entire demeanor then changed when he focused his eyes on me and asked me how my week went out of nowhere. I glared at him at this and dodged his question by asking him how HIS week went instead of answering his question. "Busy." He smirked at me as he leaned back in his chair, enjoying my annoyance at the sudden shift in our conversation. "And now I believe, I was also the first who asked YOU. So out with it Spencer, how DID your week go?" I scowled at this and muttered at him sullenly, "You already know how my bloody week went, no thanks to our friends." Before he can reply, I hastily tried changing the topic by asking him pointedly how his work was going so far now that 2ne1 has made their comeback, especially with Danny gone to pursue his masters degree in London. The stupid smirk in Seungho’s face was enough to tell me that he knew what I was doing but thankfully he decided on humoring my lame attempt of changing the topic instead of continuing our previous conversation. “It’s tough but Danny’s been helping me out by giving me a couple of ideas on what I should do to style the girls. Although it’s good that you and Ji Eun Noona are there to help me out when I need to make alterations on some outfits. It’s always better to have someone to work with you and not just do it by yourself.” He told me thoughtfully. I smiled at this and inquired more about the concept he made for 2ne1’s latest comeback, especially the clothes that they wore on their first performance that got me awestruck at how amazing it looked put together. He answered all my inquiries easily and even suggested a few designers that I might like, our conversation finally steered away from me, or so I thought. “Oh, by the way Norah, do you remember that time we went out to look for possible accessories and props for 2ne1’s upcoming photoshoot in Japan?”

 

“Of course. How can I forget that? You introduced me to the designers of KYE and JKOO that day.” I replied with a fond smile, remembering how Seungho introduced me to his friends after we browsed through their showrooms. He smiled mysteriously in return when I asked him curiously, “Why’d you ask? Is it another endorsement deal?” and promptly told me something that caused me to nearly fall off my seat.

 

“Actually 2ne1’s upcoming photoshoot in Japan isn’t for a simple endorsement deal. I haven’t really been able to discuss with you what it was before because the collection was still in the works then, and Jeremy as well as Yulia wasn’t still sure when they’ll release the collection. But I got a call a few weeks ago from Yulia that she and Jeremy have already finished the collection and they would like to have 2ne1 as one of the models for their collection. That’s why we were looking for accessories for the shoot as well as props.” I was gaping at Seungho by this point, after hearing the news that Jeremy Scott and Mademoiselle Yulia will be collaborating with each other for a new line of clothes. Yulia's Giza and Jeremy had distinct flairs when it comes to fashion, and I’m positive that the clothes that Yulia and Jeremy will be creating for this collaboration will be amazing. “The photoshoot will be used in a spread in a magazine in Japan and here in Korea as well because Jeremy will be making this collection available here in Shinsegae, but they’re still finalizing the deal regarding that.” I stared at him in amazement, still trying to take in the information while Seungho finished off his Americano, waiting for my reaction. “It sounds like a lot of work for you. Is Danny going to help you out?”

 

“Actually, that’s why I was asking you if you remembered that day we went to KYE and JKOO’s showrooms. Danny can’t fly in from London right now to help me out because he’s in the middle of the semester.” Before Seungho can finish what he was saying, I cut him off and asked him worriedly how he’ll manage without Danny. “I don’t think you can do this all by yourself. There must be someone here in YG that can assist you in the photoshoot...” My voice died down when Seungho smirked at me after I voiced out my worries for him. “What? No...” I snorted, laughing at what he was suggesting by his smirk which didn’t let up.

 

“No?” I asked him when he still refused to stop smirking, even going as far as to shrug his shoulder at me and raise an eyebrow but still refusing to tell me what he was trying to say in his actions. I glared at his lack of a proper response but gasped a, “NO!” when he finally gave me a nod and crossed his arms as he leaned back in his chair to watch my reaction. “ARE YOU FOR REAL?!?! What about VIVA H? Aren’t they better suited to help you out in this photoshoot?” I asked him, trying to make sure that I was in fact the one who will be helping him in 2ne1’s upcoming photoshoot for Jeremy’s collaboration with Giza. “They’re quite busy with their online store as well as other styling jobs.” Seungho replied without missing a beat. I questioned him after this, firing questions one after the other which he answered without faltering, probably because he knew how I’d react to this news already after months of hanging out with me.

 

“What about Ji Eun Unnie?”

 

“Are you for real? She’s busy enough as it is handling Hayi, Epik High AND Big Bang. And you expect her to come to Japan to help me out on this photoshoot?”

 

“Ok fine, but what exactly will I be doing?”

 

“Assisting me.”

 

“But I’m Ji Eun Unnie’s assistant.”

 

“I borrowed your ungrateful from Noona and before you can ask, I’ve already asked permission from Hyun Suk Hyung if you can come with me.”

 

At the mention of Boss’ name, I deflated a bit recalling the fact that despite working part time as an assistant stylist to Ji Eun, I’m still a full time trainee here in YG and I’m positive that assisting Seungho meant flying out to Japan for a couple of days. Which definitely meant that I’ll be missing a few days of training. I slumped in my chair when I remembered my promise to Jiyong about never missing a day of training which I voiced out to Seungho. “Stop sulking, I’ve already taken care of it remember? I talked to Hyun Suk Hyung and he said that you can come with me to Japan along with 2ne1. It also doesn’t hurt that Bom promised Hyung that she’ll train you while we’re there, so you’re not entirely missing your training. Your ticket’s already been taken care of, so all you have to do is actually just show up for your flight and assist me in this photoshoot.” Seungho explained to me patiently, trying his best to assure me that I won’t be breaking my promise to Jiyong regarding my training.

 

“I could kiss you right now.” I told him frankly, the grin on my face never once wavering since he told me that I’ll be coming with him to Japan. “But I won’t.” I added after a beat when he simply raised his eyebrow at my empathic reaction. I leaned across the table instead and hugged him briefly, murmuring my thanks at what he did for mewhile doing so. “I seriously don’t know what caused you to be this nice to me and help me out in learning more about fashion, but whatever it is, I hope you don’t stop.” I told him honestly as I settled back in my seat, with a bit of commotion seeing as I accidentally toppled over his drink (which he thankfully finished off already) when I gave him a hug. He leaned forward in his seat and braced his arms against the table as he answered my question to him pointedly, “I told you I’m doing this because I believe you’ve got a lot of potential when it comes to fashion and I think you deserve a chance to do something that you love.” I simply grinned at this and propped up my sketchbook against the table but my expression turned into a scowl when I heard him muse out loud right afterwards.

 

“Actually, I was wondering Norah... if you leave for Japan with me and the girls next week, will that interfere with your plans with Sehun - ssi?” He asked me, trying to pass off this question as innocent which I did not buy one bit. “Because I heard that he was intent on taking you out to dinner one of these days. I was just thinking maybe that’s the actual reason why you’re hesitant in going awhile ago, rather than your training.” Instead of feigning innocence and ignoring his question I replied to him bluntly that Sehun was busy next week and that he is still not yet sure when we’ll be having our date exactly. "And here I thought that you'd be the only person here who won't bother me about this. Is there anyone left here in YG who doesn’t know about me and Sehun?" I asked him sarcastically, with a cross of my arms and legs, pushing aside the sketchbook in my lap. "Nope, everyone here knows. News about you being asked out on a date by the youngest member of EXO spread like wildfire here in the office. You have to admit that it’s not surprising that everyone knows, especially since he did ask you out here in the YG Building.”

 

“And this is the reason why I didn’t want to have this conversation in the first place. You guys are making it such a big deal, when it isn’t.” I said with a shake of my head, sighing in defeat at how the conversation I was trying to avoid came back to haunt me in full force. “Oh, come on. How can that not be a big deal? From what I heard from the girls, he’s going to be your first date ever and possibly your first boyfriend. Isn’t that supposed to be something girls make such a big fuss about?”

 

"He isn't my first boyfriend." I retorted at him snidely. "My first date yes, but not my first boyrfriend. It’s just dinner anyway so it's not THAT big of a deal."

 

"Hmm. Whatever you say." He told me dismissively. "But you have to admit, he did pull out all the stops just to ask you out. What more on your actual date?"

 

"Technically he wouldn't have done that if it weren't for Chaerin's meddling. Personally, I think he would've just pop the question when we're hanging out." I replied to him thoughtfully. "Did you really see it coming that he would ask you out on a date? From what I heard from Bom and Dara you were so surprised that you thought they were pulling a prank on you." I can't help but internally groan because he wouldn't let up with this conversation despite the fact that I was being short with him in my replies, trying to end or shift the conversation we're having to another direction. He must've caught on to my internal groan because he just smirked at me, making me want to walk out of the room at that instant, if only to stop him from continuing this conversation. "No I didn't." I told him between gritted teeth. "Is there anyone in here who doesn't like to gossip? I swear, I never thought that men would be such busy bodies but people from YG just completely ruined that idea for me. Even Jiyong Oppa is such a gossip. You guys are way worse than women are." At the mention of my manager, Seungho gave me a knowing look but instead of letting him talk I cut him off to ask how HIS relationship is going so far. He simply gave me this small secretive smile and commented on how excited I must be for my first real date. I sighed at how easily he dodged my poor attempt of changing the topic and muttered sullenly to myself, "What do I have to do to get people to stop talking about bloody Sehun? It’s just Sehun.”


Seungho smirked at me and gave me a knowing look before dignifying my mutterings with an answer. "They’re just surprised that you agreed to go out with him because they know you. I’m actually one of those people who were surprised to hear that you’re going out on a date with him. He’s not exactly your type is he?” I bit my lip and propped my head on my hand, staring at Seungho blankly instead of answering him frankly. “Then what’s my type then?” I asked him in a challenging tone when neither of us talked for awhile, still bothered by the fact that he was right in saying that Sehun isn’t my type. But before Seungho can open his mouth, the door to his office opened to reveal Jiyong browsing through the various plastic bags he was holding with his head down. “Xin, have you seen Norah? I haven’t seen her anywhere.” Jiyong said with his attention still focused on the plastic bags he was carrying. I gave a wave at him when he looked up from what he was doing which he grinned at. I gave a questioning glance at Seungho though when I heard him mumble something under his breath out of nowhere but he waved it off and stood up from his seat to help out his friend who was approaching us. 

Hmm, that was weird.

 


What's up everyone? :D

It's been awhile but here's another update for you. I'm sorry if it took such a long time for me to update. I've been busy with my work for the past week, so I'm really sorry for the delay. This was supposedly a really long chapter but I cut it in half and decided to post the rest as another chapter altogether. The reason behind that, is because I think the next chapter should be in a different point of view from the usual which is Norah and Jiyong's POV. For a fresh and new perspective on our two main characters. :P Guess who will it be? :)

I hope you liked reading this chapter and thank you so much :D I would love to hear what you think so feel free to comment. You guys are golden!!!!

- Rexiefauliks

PS. OMG MADEMOISELLE YULIA IS IN CL's NEW MV!!! If you haven't checked it out yet, I totally would like to recommend you to step out of the rock where you're currently living and go watch it. :D