Chapter 39: What's Wrong Kibum?

YG Auditions

*RING*
*RING*

Kibum winced visibly beside me when his phone started ringing shrilly, disrupting the otherwise peaceful car ride back to our apartment. "Just pick the phone up Kibum." Lu Han growled from the driver's seat, halting the car just in time when the traffic light turned red. "I can't." Kibum retorted, his shoulder hunched over in tension. I turned sideways at him and narrowed my eyes at his hunched over figure from the other side of the back seat. "What did you do again?" I told him slowly in my best imitation of Chief Kwon when I figured out for myself that he was in trouble once more judging by his body language. He squirmed at his seat due to my scrutiny and let out a, "Nothing." that clearly meant something since he said it with an edge to his voice. He mumbled something under his breath which I didn't catch but his best friend apparently did by the look of disbelief he threw to Kibum through the rear view mirror. "Don't tell me you cut class again?" Sehun said as he turned in his seat to properly glare at his best friend. I smiled at him gratefully when he spoke in English despite the fact that he told me a few minutes before that he wasn't that fluent yet and was still studying how to speak the language properly. "Well technically I can't skip class when I don't have a class to actually skip." Reasoned out Kibum sheepishly to the three of us. "What do you mean you don't have any class?! It's the middle of your semester!" I scolded him wide eyed. Silence consumed us as Lu Han continued on driving and Kibum eyed Sehun and myself with trepidation.

*RING*
*RING*

When Kibum didn't show any signs of picking up his phone once more, I reached over to his side to twist his ear and commanded him to give me the phone. "Ah ~ OW! NOONA IT HURTS!!" He shouted when I didn't let up from my torture. "Give it!" I ordered again with my other hand appearing in front of his face, palm up. Kibum in the end shoved his phone at my hand with a huff in defeat.

I answered the call instantly and had to move the phone away from my ear when I received the none too pleased tone of Mr. Choi, my landlord on the other line.

"Mr. Choi this is Norah Spencer. I'm with Kibum and I answered his phone for him because he won't pick it up." I started explaining to stop what is otherwise the most loud and shrill scolding I have ever heard in my entire life despite it being spoken in Korean.

"Ms. Spencer?" Mr. Choi asked slowly after being interrupted from his heated rant.

"Yes, sir it's me. Could I ask what happened? Kibum won't tell me exactly what's wrong." I inquired politely to him. Mr. Choi is a businessman with a kind heart but has a strict belief when it comes to respect and duty. I learned on the first time I met him that conversing politely and formally to him will put you on his good side and doing otherwise would put you on his bad side just as easily. I'm thankful that my parents drilled to me at an early age to respect my elders otherwise I wouldn't be living where I'm living right now.

Mr. Choi scoffed on the other line and gave out a weary sigh afterwards. "Of course he won't say a thing. My ungrateful son would not want to cast himself in a bad light in front of you." My eyebrows rose in disbelief at this. That's the second time someone pointed out that Kibum might have more than little brother feelings to me, today. "I was informed by my son's Dean just a few minutes ago that Kibum has not been attending two of his classes in university regularly, Ms. Spencer." Mr. Choi explained in a tired voice. "Because of this, both of his professors from those classes has submitted a form to the Dean informing him that as of today, Kibum has officially failed both classes due to his many absences. And to think they were both his major subjects."

I threw a scandalized look at Kibum after hearing this bit of news from his father but had to focus once more to the phone in my grasp when Mr. Choi started speaking once more. "Ms. Spencer, I'm assuming my son is with you?" I gave out an affirmation to his assumption. "Could you please slap some sense to him? It seems that I can no longer do so." Mr. Choi added as an afterthought in a dejected tone. "Please tell him that if he doesn't return to his university by this afternoon to solve this problem then his punishment will be something worse than his car being kept from him. I already set an appointment with his Dean this afternoon and all he needs to do is GO there. And could you remind him that I will be informed by his Dean if ever he does not turn up to find a solution to this problem."

"Yes Mr. Choi, I'll make sure to tell him all of that." I responded before ending our call.

"Lu Han - ssi could you park for a bit by the sidewalk?" I asked Lu Han. He did so and the car halted when Lu Han parked by the sidewalk. "Here." I told Kibum as I gave back his phone my face and voice devoid of any emotion. Kibum took his phone back from me hesitantly, his brown almond eyes searching my face for any signs of a reaction to the conversation I had. Sehun and Lu Han was also watching me from the rear view mirror, anticipating what I'm about to tell them or more likely Kibum. "You knew didn't you?" I asked him quietly, my eyes boring into his own. "You knew that you failed two of your classes due to absences. That's why you said you didn't have any class today." At this, Lu Han and Sehun both swiveled in their seats to throw an incredulous and furious look at him, respectively. "WHAT?!" Sehun cried, his eyes narrowing at his friend. I didn't bat an eye as I stared at him and asked once more, "Didn't you?" with a cool tone.

"Yeah." Kibum replied, tensely. Sehun spluttered at him, "What were you thinking? Do you think it's easy to be behind in your classes?"

"It doesn't matter anymore. He's officially dropped from the list of registered students in both classes. His professors already submitted their forms today to his Dean to list him with a failing mark in his grades this semester." I told Sehun with the same tone of voice. Kibum winced at this and bowed his head to avoid our gazes. "Noona, sorry." He muttered sullenly. "Why are you being sorry to me?" I asked him sarcastically. "It's not me you should be saying that to. But your parents. And besides what will your sorry do? Do you think that it'll help get your failing mark to a passing one by saying sorry?" My gaze intensified as I continued on. "I know I'm in no position to say this but its not amusing at how you treat your parents. They give you everything you want and need and this is what you do to repay them?" I gave out a scoff at this. "You might as well not have entered university AT ALL and saved your parents from all the effort they did and the money they wasted."

Silence enveloped us once more with Kibum staring at me in guilt and the other two passengers of the car, in apprehension. I turned away from Kibum and faced the car window next to me, showing the busy streets of Seoul. "If you're genuinely sorry, you will go back to your university and try to solve this problem. If you truly want to redeem yourself to your parents, you'll show up on that appointment your father set up with your Dean this afternoon. And actually act as if you're repentant not just SAY it." I told him without giving Kibum another glance.

*click*

I swiveled my head towards his side to see Kibum getting out of the car. "Where are you going!?" I asked him in disbelief. Kibum bit his lip and looked at me apologetically, "Back to my university. Noona, I have an appointment with my Dean regarding my grades." He replied. "I'm sorry I forgot to tell you. I don't think I won't be able to drop you off anymore." He looked down at this and my cold exterior dropped. I looked at him and smiled softly, "Apology accepted but how are you going to your university?"

"I'll take the bus, don't worry I know the way." He assured me with a shrug of his shoulder. "Wait! Let me get out too! Lu Han - ssi could you pop open the trunk?" I told the two of them in alarm. "Noona, where are you going? Don't you trust me? I AM going to that appointment with my Dean." Kibum asked me, his voice laced with hurt. I waved him off and replied, "Of course I know you're going. But I can't hitch a ride anymore with Lu Han. I'd be imposing on them." I was at his side of the backseat already but was unable to go out because Kibum shut the car door close right in front of my face.

*click*

I stared wide eyed at the lock of the car which just locked itself. I tried unlocking it but it refused to budge and I looked up to see Lu Han's smiling face trough the rear view mirror. "Lu Han what are you doing?" I asked him with a glare. But instead of answering me, he just turned towards his open car window where Kibum is peering over at me with a boyish grin. "You better make sure she gets back home safe Lu Han. I would know if she hasn't returned back yet." Kibum warned the grinning EXO member. "Mhmmm whatever. We'll catch up with you later." Replied Lu Han with a smirk. He rolled up his window once more and drove away from the sidewalk where Kibum was and I just sat there at the backseat dumbly watching his back as Kibum walked towards the bus stop. "Noona!" Lu Han said cheerfully. "Where do you want to go?" I huffed at him and crossed my arms. "This is considered kidnapping you know." I told Lu Han sourly. "I could've rode the bus instead of hitching a ride with you two."

"You don't seriously think that you could carry all those bags back to your place on your own do you?" Sehun asked me amusedly. "Well if there's a will, there's a way. But that's not the point. I don't want to impose on you two by hitching a ride." I explained in return. Lu Han let out this ridiculous sound that I had no idea what it meant but before I could ask further more about it Lu Han already made an explanation to his reaction. "Noona, really, you're not imposing. I don't mind driving you to your place." He grinned at me. "On one condition though!" I chuckled at his antics, when he raised a finger in the air while driving. "What is it?" I asked him and I noticed Sehun roll his eyes good naturedly to his Hyung. "This ride will be for free IF you become my noona too!"

"Is that all? You already call me noona anyway." I told him off handedly. "But consider it done. Call me Lu Han's noona from now on. Although now that I think about it, you're older than me by a year but... why not?"

"Really? I am? Still I want to call you noona, this way Kibum will get annoyed every time I do it. Oh! And you also have to call Sehunnie, Oppa." Lu Han added enthusiastically, his attention wavering from the road in front of me as we continued on with our conversation. "Hyung!" Sehun cried with a chuckle. "Norah - ssi is older than I am."

"I know that!" LuHan replied with his tongue sticking out in his dongsaeng's direction. "I also know that Kibum will get MORE riled up if she does call you that which is just perfect." Lu Han's wistful look was met by a peeved look from Sehun and an amused one from me. "You live to annoy the hell out of Kibum don't you?" I asked him and he only smirked in reply to me. This is certainly going to be an interesting ride.

 


Hello! I'm back with a new update. It took far longer than I thought it would but at least I was finally able to update. This is just a sort of filler before I update with the next chapter. :D think of it as a commercial hahaha you'll see more of Sehun and Lu Han in the upcoming chapters so tune in to that! I hope you enjoyed reading this story as much as I enjoy writing it. I've been getting so many ideas that it's hard to put into words. Thank you so much for reading this story and I would love to hear your thoughts regarding the story :D

- Rexiefauliks