Chapter 3: I Babble Too Much

YG Auditions

I rubbed the edges of the page I was holding, ready to turn to the other, of the book I was reading. I was safely ensconced in a leather seat in one of YG Building's many narrow and dimly lit hallways. I tightened my hold on my jacket once more before glancing back to the worn out paper back in my hands. However instead of comprehending the words in front of me strung together beautifully by one of my favorite writers, my mind went elsewhere. To be more specific, my mind started going back to the day when I (Norah Spencer) found out that I was asked to go to YGE in Seoul to audition personally to YG himself and his appointed panel of judges. 

My family and I were sitting in our living room and across from us was the representative of the Embassy of Korea of our country. She was a kind looking woman in her late 30's wearing simple work clothes and accessories. Her hair was tied low at the nape of her neck with a black elastic band and her face was devoid of any make - up. 

"Mr. Yang himself made sure to fix the necessary preparations for your daughter to have a comfortable stay in Korea while she auditions for him and his company. He also has arranged for the embassy to aid Ms. Spencer in the procedure of acquiring a Visa as well as a ticket. She does have a passport doesn't she?" she asked my father and mother politely as she took out a small sealed envelope from her bag. My father replied that I did have one for a year now and he asked her further questions about the trip I was perhaps about to take. She was polite and quiet through out the whole meeting with my parents and I, but there was one thing that she was very passionate about, and it was convincing my parents to allow me to go to Korea despite the fact that I was of legal age both in my country and theirs. "It's a lovely opportunity that thousands could only dream of. To have someone as important as Mr. Yang see to your daughter's needs is assurance enough I guarantee you that she will be in good and safe hands. I hope that you will consider our guidance in making this easier for her and our wish to forge stronger bonds between our countries even through this industry." She concluded with a bow to my parents after they told her that they will think things over first.

After just a week, I found myself sitting comfortably in the business class area of a plane headed to Korea with my parents' well wishes and reminders ringing in my ears after the plane departed the terminal.

So here I am, stuck in a hallway alone (except for around 3 staff members accompanying me and a translator for my benefit to be able to comprehend Mr. Yang's and the others' comments), waiting to be given the signal that I could come inside the office after waiting for several minutes. Is it obvious that I'm impatient?

One of the staff members stood up suddenly and went to the black sound proof door and opened it slightly. A muffled conversation  could be heard until he pulled his head out and glanced at me. He smiled and ushered me out of my seat to start heading towards the brightly lit office which was a total contrast to the hallway outside. I walked in, putting on a brave face and smiling at the crowded people on the far side of the room, the office being bigger than I imagined it to be. I bowed deeply and greeted them a good morning before introducing myself. "Norah Spencer, it's nice to meet you." YG said smiling at me  from his seat in the middle of the room. "You had an interesting song choice for your audition tape. Lily Allen. I must say I didn't expect that coming at all." He chuckled and directed his eyes at me which I returned but after a few minutes I looked away no longer capable of holding his gaze, deeming the act rude and impolite in my head. "Why did you choose to sing that?" he asked me, not unkindly. I bit my lip and thought over why I  suddenly decided on singing that piece instead of an Adele one.

"I can't really explain why, because initially I wanted to sing an Adele song so you could be impressed with my vocal prowess but that failed miserably without me even having to open my mouth and sing it, if you can even call it THAT. It just came to me suddenly and I wasn't able to come up with anything else decent and worth listening to. Funny thing is I'm not even a fan of hers. I just really like the meaning behind the song. On how some women are just hell bent on putting men on such high pedestals waiting for the perfect man or even attempting to MAKE the perfect one. It's just sad but in an amusing play of words and melody." I said in a rush, shrugging my shoulders as I finished my tirade. Some of the people in the room gaped at my rant and some looked amused at it. "Include rapping in that list Seunghyun." instructed YG amusedly.

"WHICH SEUNGHYUN? SAJANGNIM, WHICH SEUNGHYUN!?~" bellowed Seungri, grinning madly from the far end of the long table, his elbows leaning against the smooth surface of the glass. "YAH! Shut up, we're working!" complained TOP as he scribbled a quick note on the log book he was writing on. 

I grinned despite my ears turning red which did not go unnoticed due to the fact that my hair was tied up in a high ponytail that day. "Aigooo! Her ears are turning pink. So cute!" cooed Bom to Dara who nodded in turn. I noticed their little interaction with each other before they resumed with their professional image and manner to me. 

I scratched the back of my neck and looked up as Teddy addressed me. "Can you sing it one more time, then rap another Mac Miller song." he requested. I nodded like the good puppy that I am but stopped suddenly. I let out an unattractive "EH?" with my face slackening as his words dawned on me. "I didn't rap anything. I just sang - Mr. Teddy." I mumbled the last part awkwardly not knowing how to address him politely after letting out such an impolite reaction after hearing him. He shook his head and gave me a sympathetic look. I gulped and did as he asked, thinking of ways to murder my best friend when I get back from being humiliated beyond belief.

 

 


* Dialogue in italics are Korean while narration in Courier New are flashbacks. :) 

I'll update as soon as I can, I promise! THANK YOU FOR SUBSCRIBING! :D

- Rexiefauliks