Chapter 26: Meeting Mina Kwon and Surprises

YG Auditions

Our trip towards the rooftop was more eventful rather the one we took in our apartment. This is mostly due to us bickering till the elevator halted to indicate that we arrived at the top floor. “I compose. I write songs. I produce music. I earn nearly a million US dollars every year. What’s there NOT to boast about?” I fired at her, ticking in my fingers all my note worthy accomplishments, still miffed at her comment earlier at the parking lot. “It’s a shame being humble isn’t included in that.” Commented by the unmistakable voice of my Hyung. I looked up to be greeted by Sean Hyung’s amused eyes flickering between me and Norah, and that’s when I noticed that the elevator doors have opened already for the next person to use it. “H – hyu – hyung!” I stuttered out in surprise. I coughed awkwardly and tried once more, “Hyung! I didn’t know you were here already at the party.” Norah snorted beside me and I reached out to pinch her arm but she ducked away from me and greeted the older man warmly. “It’s such a pleasure seeing you again Sean sunbaenim.”

 

“You too Norah, Harang has been asking for you ever since you gave him that book.” Sean Hyung replied to her with a smile. “He wanted to find out what happens next to Percy.” I looked at her curiously at this and Norah mouthed to me, “Next time.” And I nodded at this, following her out of the elevator to give way to our sunbae. “I’ll bring the next book tomorrow when I come for training and see if I can give it to you before the end of the day. I didn’t know he would enjoy it so much.” Norah said to Sean Hyung. “He was hooked from the very first chapter actually. And there’s no need for the rush, my son can wait for what happens next to Mr. Jackson whereas you have a busy day ahead tomorrow for sure and I don’t want to bother you.” Sean Hyung told her reaching out for the hold button as their conversation continued. I don’t know why I stayed with Norah as she talks to Hyung but I wait patiently for them to end their small talk. “It’s no bother at all, I’m happy to give Harang – ssi books to read.” Norah assured the older man with a grin. “If you say so, but again no pressure alright? Anyway I have to go, I have a few calls to attend to. See you Norah, see you Jiyong.” He gave us a wave before releasing the hold button and the elevator doors finally slid shut as it descended down. “Are you starting a library in YG?” I commented to her with a smirk as we went up the stairs together, that would lead us to the rooftop party. Norah stuck her tongue at me. Yes, clearly SHE’S the mature one between the two of us. I rolled my eyes and opened the door for the two of us when she finally decided to voice out a more mature reply to my question. “No I’m not. It’s just that when I met Sean sunbaenim, he was with Harang and the little cutie found the book I was reading interesting. So I decided to give it to him because he wanted to find out more what happened to Percy Jackson and I was going to be late for my vocal training with Teddy Oppa and Bom unnie if I read to him some more.”

 

“Wait.” I suddenly said. We halted in front of the open doors that revealed the rooftop party in full swing sans the guest of honor and Youngbae. “I told you no books.” Her eyes widened comically at my warning tone and backtracked on her words. “Of course. But I met Sean sunbaenim outside the office. I volunteered for his charity with Sophie a couple weeks back and that’s where I met Harang. I made sure that my training would not coincide with the volunteer work that’s why I did it in the morning.” Smooth, told you she’s an impressive liar if you weren’t careful but for now I’ll let it slide. “Mhmm.” Was the only reply I gave her, my tone obviously still dubious at her excuse but none the less I didn’t elaborate more. I gave a nod to Seungho and the others when I saw them crowded at the far end of the rooftop, near the ledge, talking and drinking without giving much damn. But instead of heading their way, I went straight to the make shift bar where we need to set up the improvised chiller for the booze. “Where’s Hyung?” I muttered to myself, scanning the crowd of people for Top Hyung. Norah on the other hand, started taking out the pool from its box to set up near the bar and nearly toppled over the half open pool when Top Hyung stumbled against her out of nowhere. I caught her elbow just in time, to right her once more. “Oppa!” She scolded Hyung in a reprimanding tone after she murmured her thanks to me. Hyung laughed in a slurred voice and slung an arm across her shoulders, not apologetic one bit. “Norah – ssi, I’m CHHOOOOMMM TOP. Ra… pper.” He slurred as he lurched in a forward motion. I grabbed his arm slung across Norah, and moved the drunken man away from her. She smiled gratefully at me and addressed Top Hyung, “No, you’re Top ahjussi.” She sighed. “And you told me you can control your alcohol, Oppa. Tsk.”

 

“PURA - PPPERR….!” *deep sigh* “HYEAHHH!” Top Hyung said all this in the same slurred manner with a silly grin on his face trying to reach Norah once more. I moved in front of him, so I was the one he hugged instead and I grunted at the weight of his body against mine. A sigh escaped Norah’s lips as she stepped away from me while I try not to cave in under the added weight that I was shouldering. “Where are you going?” I asked her incredulously. She gave me an amused smile, and took out a glass filled to the brim with water and some melted ice. “I remembered Tabi Oppa, bringing out glasses filled with ice cubes from the cafeteria awhile ago while he was serving drinks.” Norah started explaining, making her way towards me and Hyung. “I thought that there might be some left. Thankfully, there’s still some of it left behind the bar.”

 

“What are you going to do with it?” I asked her curiously, it’s not as if she can drink the glass of melted ice. THAT would be disgusting to be honest. She just gave me a smirk in reply and threw the contents of the glass in the direction of Top Hyung’s face. He gasped and drew in a large intake of breath from the cool impact of the water on his face. “To sober him up of course.” Norah added with a glint in her eye as she watched Hyung untangle himself from me so he could shake away the water cascading down his face. I gaped at her unashamedly and watched Hyung try to get his wits back. “Ji? What!?” He spluttered at me incredulously, wiping the cool water from his face with the sleeve of his shirt. “Why did you throw water in my face?!” But before I could retort in indignation that it was his so called pseudo – baby sister who actually threw ice cold water in his face, Norah piped up and confessed to her antics. “Why would you do that?” He asked her in complete disbelief albeit he allowed her to wipe off the rest of the water in his face as well as to dry some of his bangs that got caught in her icy cold water projectile. “You needed to snap out of your drunken stupor.” She glowered at him, still dabbing at Hyung’s sodden bangs. “I thought you could handle your liquor? A little tipsy my .” Top Hyung merely gave her a grin but this disappeared far quicker than when it appeared after hearing the rest of what Norah had to say. “Because you broke your promise of not getting pissed drunk tonight, you’ll pump air to this kiddie pool here.” She pointed at the half open kiddie pool strewn all over the floor. He furrowed his eyebrows and this time it was me who broke his line of thought. “It’s the only way we could come up with as an alternative for the chillers.” I explained offering him the air pump that I picked up from the ground as Norah explained to Hyung his punishment for tonight. He furrowed his eyebrows and cast his gaze, rather sullenly at that, at the half open kiddie pool on the floor when the door leading to the exit banged open with CL and Ji Hye coming out of it hurriedly. “Seungri just finished his dance reaheasals. Youngbae’s bringing him over here in a couple of minutes.” Ji Hye told the crowd with a shout. “What did she say?” Norah asked, stepping next to me, observing the 2ne1 leader and the Crazy Girl Crew dance member pass on the message to the others. “Maknae’s coming soon.” I simply explained to her, looking back once more to Top Hyung who was now pumping air into the kiddie pool, mumbling to himself in a sulking manner. “What about the ice?” I added as an afterthought, seeing as the pool was still pretty much useless without it. “Oh right! Hang on, let me call Bom unnie.” Norah said taking out her phone to ring Noona but stopped in the middle of her dialing because the door for both the entrance and the exit of the rooftop opened once more. Some people eagerly anticipated Seungri and Youngbae coming out and what the celebrant’s reaction would be to the small party thrown for his solo comeback. However instead of his tall frame stepping out of the shadows, it was Bom leading two burly men from the cafeteria who stepped out instead. She spotted us quickly (It’s not that hard to do really, seeing as Hyung was drawing attention to himself due to the kiddie pool and his task of pumping air inside it.) and made her way through the dancing and drinking crowd, still flanked by the two men. As they got nearer, I realized the reason as to why they were following her. “How’d you know we came back and found an alternative for the chillers?” I asked Noona with an eyebrow raised. “It’s called motherly instincts. You wouldn’t understand.” She told me condescendingly in reply, before instructing the two men lower the bags of ice they were carrying between the two of them. “Thank you for your help.” Norah told them with a deep bow and a grateful smile that right now I want nothing more than to be directed at me instead.

 

They just carried bags of ice, I DROVE her to her place and brought her back. I think that’s more difficult than carrying bags of ice. PFFT.

 

Bom noona barked out a laugh when she finally saw Hyung bent over the air pump, trying his best to finish the job as soon as possible. “This is per – fect. I need to take a picture… no I need to shoot a video of this and post it on Twitter.” She said, fishing out her own iPhone from her shorts’ back pocket. “BINGU SMILE!”

 

Norah and I looked at each other briefly before bursting into laughter. “They are so cute together.” I heard Norah mumble to herself in between chuckles as we looked on, Bom noona walking around Hyung, trying to get the perfect angle as she shoots a video of his punishment. I shook my head at their antics and started finishing the task left to us by the two undeserving staff from the cafeteria. “Oppa! No!” Cried Norah, her hand shooting out to grasp my wrist, preventing me from dumping the ice on the kiddie pool. “What? It’ll melt if we don’t use it. Didn’t we have it brought up so that we could use it to chill the drinks?” I asked her with a questioning look. She shook her head which I thought meant that I assumed wrong, but then she cut me off before I could voice out any protests or questions. “Go to Seungho – ssi and your friends. I’ll handle this. I’ve bothered you too much already.” And the blush and sheepish smile that came with that statement, was way better than the smile she gave the two guys from the office’s cafeteria. “It’s fine. Let’s go to Seungho together after this, yeah?” I told her with a grin of my own. She bit her lip and nodded hurriedly at my offer, before she dumped the first bag of ice on the kiddie pool that’s nearly pumped filled with air. I followed suit, and when I stood up straight, I caught sight of the door at the other side of the room opening slowly once more. I nudged Norah and called out to Hyung and Bom noona who was now wrestling with each other because of Noona’s phone. “Maknae’s coming.” I hissed at them. Norah and I automatically started making our way nearer to that part of the rooftop. “Hyung, why do I have to go here? I wanna go home. I’m tired.”  Seungri whined from the other side of the door which made me roll my eyes at his tone. “YAH! Who says that’s your home? You live in Gwangju.” I called out to him. “HYUNG!” Seungri whined at me, running out of the doorway, only to stop with his eyes widening and his jaw dropping at what greeted him. “SURPRISE!” A few people called out to him, raising their respective drinks on air. Norah approached him and said, “Seungri Oppa, what are you doing there gaping like a fish?” A tug on his pull over caused Seungri to follow Norah as she led him to the party held on behalf of his comeback. “You should thank Norah. She’s the one who planned all this for you.” Youngbae told his retreating back as he came out of the other side of the door, after Seungri. Maknae looked down with one of his eyebrows raised in question at Norah. “You deserve it.” I snorted at this and she threw me a dirty look. “You’ve been working so hard. Even Boss said that you have every right to celebrate because you prepared so much for this comeback.” In reply to her words, Seungri wrapped an arm across her shoulders and gave Norah a smack on her temple. “Thank you Norah.” Seungri told her with a smile. “Well what are we waiting for? Let’s PARTY!” He hollered to the rest of the crowd and Lydia Paek who was now in the booth for the DJ started another track after his declaration. The young woman spinning for the inebriated dancing party, seemingly caught the attention of Norah. She gave a little squeal and faced me or rather Youngbae since the words that tumbled out of were directed at him. “Lydia is here?!” She gushed in an awed voice that threw me off guard. Since when did she know Lydia and why the hell is she gushing? Youngbae, who was standing next to me, gave her a knowing smile and nodded at her silent question, apparently. I was completely lost at their silent conversation and it irritated me that I was feeling so left out. “So what if she’s here?” I told Norah with a bite to my tone. “She’s a producer for YG as well, why wouldn’t she be here?” It turns out, I was completely off the mark at my statement because just as Norah was about to retort a smart reply to me, a female voice calling out Youngbae rang across the room. “Young to the bae! Where you at?” Called out, the unmistakable voice of Mina Kwon. She approached us, with a bottle of beer in hand and I noticed that she was dressed in her usual casual and laid back style. A squeak from my right alerted me to my trainee’s reaction to Mina Kwon’s presence. When I glanced at Youngbae’s knowing smirk and Norah’s star struck glazed eyes, I was finally able to put two and two together and figure out their previous silent conversation. “Noona, I’d like you to meet someone.” Youngbae started, stepping in front of me to reach over and drag Norah next to him. “This is Norah Spencer, she’s one of the trainees here in YG.” Mina glanced at Norah and gave her a smile and a nod in her direction. Did Norah just swoon? What the is happening here? “That’s dope man. You a singer like Youngbae?” She asked Norah after taking a swig from her beer. It took Norah awhile to get her bearings and to stammer out a reply. “Yeah, but Oppa’s training me in my dance rehearsals though.” This seemed to interest Mina and the two carried on a conversation on what dancing styles have Norah picked up as she trained in YG. “You ever saw someone break dance before?” I heard the older of the two, comment before making their way to the bar, to grab another round of drinks.

 

What just happened?” I asked my best friend in complete disbelief. He grinned at me and explained about the fact that Norah was a fan of Mina’s work. “She asked me about Mina one time while we trained. I bet they’ll hit it off real quickly. Norah’s quite impressive with a pencil and some paper.” A chuckle escaped his lips. “And I bet all of my Chrome Hearts accessories that she’s asking Mina about music and art right about now.” His remark regarding Norah’s talent piqued at my interest and I recalled the incident awhile back in her apartment when I stumbled upon her sketchbook. “You’ve seen her sketches already?” I asked him curiously. Youngbae gave me this look of utter disbelief. “Of course I have, she does it all the time. Have you not seen her hand? It always has a doodle of some sort in it. She doesn’t even spare the table napkins at the cafeteria when she and Chaerin – ah grab a bite to eat.” The slight pause before CL’s name caught my attention as well but I was more interested about this talent of Norah’s that I just found out. “You seriously have not seen ANY of her sketches?” He asked me with a pointed look. “Not until today actually. I saw her sketchbook when she grabbed the kiddie pool from her place awhile ago.” I replied to him wistfully.

 

Pool? What kiddie pool?” Youngbae suddenly said, his voice suddenly becoming eager like that of a five year old kid. I sighed, it’s too late. I’ve already lost my best friend’s attention to a kiddie pool housing all the booze for the party. “It’s what we used to store all the drinks for tonight. There wasn’t any – YOUNGBAE WHERE ARE YOU…..” My voice died down when I figured out what he was planning to do. I smirked at this and waited patiently for what was to come next after he tapped Daesung’s shoulder and nodded his head in Seungri’s direction who was busy flirting with a group of girls invited by his friends from university.

 

THUD! ~ SPLASH!

 

A soaking wet and shivering maknae resurfaced from the sea of melted ice and beer bottles, after Youngbae and Daesung picked him up from the ground to dump him unceremoniously at the kiddie pool, Top Hyung painstakingly pumped air into just moments before. He stood up a shook off the water clinging to his clothes and hair to glare at the two who was now bent over in half cackling at him. However instead of whining about his misfortune like he normally would, Seungri tripped Daesung which lead to the second youngest of Big Bang to sit uncomfortably at the edge of the kiddie pool, the icy cool water must be seeping inside his pants judging by the discomfited look in his face. Youngbae on the other hand managed to dodge any attempts at revenge by Seungri as he sped off in the opposite direction before maknae could react. The guests who witnessed this display of maturity from half of our group (or rather lack of), laughed at Daesung when he stood up and did the famous dance of Kara which featured his rear to the watching crowd. My eyes though closed in on Mina and Norah who were still in a heated discussion about who knows what, which wasn’t that far from where Seungri and the others were. My promise to bring her with me when I approach my friends rang in my head as I went over their way with every intention of fulfilling that offer.

 


 

 

Sorry this update, took such a long time. Classes have started here again and I've been busy. It's longer than the last update so I hope you like it :D thank you for reading! Feel free to subscribe and comment. <3

- Rexiefauliks