UNSUNG MELODIES

ALL THE BEAUTIFUL THINGS

"Babe, you're going to the hospital again? It's been five days already. Didn't you say his secretary came over?"

Catherine said, feeling jealous and uncomfortable about the lost time they should be spending together.

"Look, I'm sorry but I have to go. I promise to make it up to you"

Namjoon said while grabbing his stuffs and immediately walked out of the studio. Catherine sighed and sulkened. It seems like Namjoon's time suddenly became too expensive for her to catch up. Namjoon arrived at the hospital after a 20-minute ride on a taxi. He hurried himself to the elevator to get to Seokjin's room in an instant. But instead of finding him there, he found an 83-year old woman lying on Seokjin's hospital bed.

"Who are you, young man?"

The attendee of the woman asked. Namjoon apologized and went out of the hospital room and immediately asked in thr informations.

"Where is the man in Room 489? A man named Kim Seokjin confined here?"

Namjoon asked

"He was discharged earlier, sir"

The nurse replied. Namjoon dialed Seokjin's number but his phone is turned off. He tried Mr. Yoon's but he did not answer. Namjoon sighed and walked out of the hospital sadly. He didn't even have the chance to ask him if he's really okay or even get the chance to bid him goodbye and take care.

*Taehyung calling*

"What is it?"

Namjoon said as soon as he answered his phone. It's very evident on the sound of his voice that he is sad and regretful.

"Can you come home now?"

Taehyung asked.

"Is there something wrong?"

Namjoon asked back.

"Nothing really but..."

Taehyung sighed and Namjoon looked worried for him. He knows that Taehyung is still upset about him and it somehow subsided when he knew Seokjin was here and that he focused on taking care of him in the hospital.

"I'm coming, okay? Tell Jimin to look after you for awhile"

Namjoon said and hanged up. He hailed a taxi and the feeling of anxiousness up to him. 'Why is it that everything seemed not to be okay again?', Namjoom asked to himself. Meanwhile, at their apartment, Jimin consoles Taehyung as the latter cries his heart out. Even after saying that everything's going to be fine, Taehyung's heart still aches and his grip on Jimin's arms only gets stronger.

"Please stop crying now or you'll get a headache, baby"

Jimin said but Taehyung still not listens. The door opened and Namjoon saw Taehyung in a devastated manner. He immediately run towards him and wiped his tears.

"What happened to you?"

Namjoon asked. Jimin sighed and pulled his hair in frustration.

"Why didn't you tell us, hyung?"

Jimin asked.

"Tell you what?"

Namjoon asked in confusion. Taehyung wiped his tears and looked at Namjoon directly on his eyes.

"That...Seokjin hyung has a brain tumor"

Taehyung said and bursted out into tears again. Namjoon sighed and found his heart wrenching. He told them that Seokjin is just suffering from fatigue. He knows how close Taehyung is to Seokjin even in just a short time.

"Don't worry. He will be fine. The doctor said that it's not dangerous for him. Okay?"

Namjoon assured the both of them although he is extremely worried right now and hates the fact that he can't keep his promise of protecting him.

*

*4 years later*

"You're really going to resign? There's nothing stopping you?"

Namjoon's supervisor asked him for the third time since he came in and handed in his resignation letter.

"Yes. I've made a decision. Thanks a lot for your help, Mr. Collins. I had a great time here"

Namjoon said and gave a bow to show his full respect. Mr. Collins sighed and signed on his paper.

"I really hope for the best for you"

Mr. Collins said.

"Thank you. You too"

Namjoon returned the favor.

"By the way, how was your novel?"

Mr. Collins asked.

"It's done. I promise to give you a copy once it's out in the market"

Namjoon said and walked out of the office. Cheers greeted him from his fellow co-workers and some of the models whom he worked with. They bid their farewell to him and Namjoon couldn't be more grateful for the time he has spent with them.

"Namjoon"

A sweet voice called his name. He turned to her and smiled.

"Shall we have coffee?"

Namjoon asked and she agreed. The two of them went to a nearby coffee shop and ordered their favorites. Namjoon looked at her and smiled sweetly as he took a sip of his iced americano.

"Please don't do that or else I'll regret my decision of breaking up with you a year ago"

Catherine said and smiled. The both of them chuckled gently.

"Why did you even? Tsk"

Namjoon teased.

"Did you really not know why? Until today?"

Catherine asked. Namjoon shooked his head innocently. He knows that Catherine made him happy for the two years they spent together, although oftentimes, he knows he owes her a lot.

"How can you be so clueless? Tsk!"

Catherine remarked and slammed slightly the table which made Namjoon jumped off his seat a bit.

"Because I know that I'm not the one"

Catherine said.

"Well, I hoped I could've known sooner"

She added.

*(FLASHBACK - 1 year ago)*

"Today's our 2nd year anniversary, Melissa! I'm so excited! He said we're going to the beach!!!"

Catherine said to her bestfriend over the phone. She couldn't be more happier than this. Having Namjoon as her boyfriend - that smart, kind, charismatic, romantic and talented man, Kim Namjoon, is still like a fairytale for her.

"He's here! Bye Mel!"

Catherine hanged up and waved her hands to Namjoon. The latter smiled faintly and answered a phone call as he walks slowly towards her. Catherine saw her opportunity to take pictures of her lovely boyfriend. But Namjoon's face suddenly became serious and he paused abruptly from his walk which made her worry. Catherine ran over to him and asked if he's okay.

"...Cath, I'm sorry. I have to go"

Namjoon said and gave her a kiss on the forehead before hailing a cab in an instant, without even greeting her, and even not giving a remark of making it up to her. Catherine sulkened and sighed.

"Not again. Not him again"

Catherine said to herself and a tear fell down from her left eye.

*(END OF FLASHBACK)*

"Back then, since he came here, you were really crazy about going to the hospital to see him. When he left without a goodbye, you were so down that I don't even know what am I to you. I thought of giving up but one day, you started seeing me. I was so happy"

Catherine said.

"But for the whole two years, every now and then, I saw you browsing the internet, searching about the latest news about him, got calls from Taehyung about him and rushing back home when there's news about him - even though you two never talked, I saw you smile"

Catherine continued and looked at Namjoon's eyes directly.

"Smiles you never gave to me that I want you to give me"

Catherine remarked.

"...I'm so-"

"Sorry. I know"

Catherine finished up what Namjoon is supposed to say. She smiled sweetly.

"But it's okay. If I stayed with you, I won't have Charles beside me now"

Catherine said.

"Yeah. It's a good thing after all"

Namjoon said.

"Nah. Not yet"

Catherine said which made Namjoon confused.

"What? Why?"

Namjoon asked.

"You're not yet happy, Joon. You still need to be happy"

Catherine said and Namjoon scoffed, not believing her to say such words.

"Yah! I mean it! Remember when I suddenly read your draft of the novel? It said there, Ken used braille to relay his message that 'I hope I can see you for at least one second, Peter. Only then I can know and remember in my death bed, the most beautiful thing that happened to me'"

Catherine narrated.

"But do you know what Peter said? 'I hope you can hear me say that you're the most beautiful thing that happened to me. Never be lonely when I'm gone'. Peter said it without braille. And do you know what I had realized when I read it?"

Catherine asked and Namjoon shooked his head no.

"I realized that you belong to him. Joon, he is that beautiful thing that happened to you. Whatever's stopping you right now, throw it all away. I don't want to see you devastated just like how Ken was when he knew that Peter died from leukemia"

Catherine said.

"After your book is published two days from now, go back to Korea. Go back to where your heart is. You've waited for a long time, Joon. It's time to let him hear the unsung melodies of your heart"

Catherine told Namjoon who shed a tear.

"Thank you, Cath"

Namjoon said.