BARELY HOLDING

ALL THE BEAUTIFUL THINGS

*Barely holding, I reach out my hands
      Thinking that you'll pull me up
        But I reached out wrongly
           My timing was wrong
               It was my fault
Barely holding, I reach out my hands
                   And fell*

Namjoon recited the last line of his own poem. He smiled, showing his God-given, heart-warming and soft dimples located on his fluffy cheeks. His lips curved naturally and his white teeth never failed to outshine the sun rising above him. The crowd started to cheer and howled their praises and not only that, the judges even gave him a standing ovation. Namjoon's sight turned 90 degrees on his right and there he saw supporting banners coming from his parents, two long balloons on his younger brother's hands and crescent-shaped eyes from his brother's bestfriend - all cheering for him, and is proud of him. Namjoon turned in front and offered a bow, a sign of gratitude for all the praises. Everyone now thinks that he is most likely the person to win the competition. No doubts, they cheered on him wholeheartedly, as if he is one of their family members as well. It all looked too painted, crafted in an artsy way that everyone is happily living in this world. A little bit of stain of red color hits the canvass of Namjoon's supposed to be one of his happy days. A man in black came right in to the entrance of the auditorium of his school. He saw how the man loaded his sniper. And in two shots, the whole world crumbled in front of his eyes, in front of his brother's eyes.

"Eomma! Appa!", Taehyung screamed, his eyes are covered in tears, Jimin his bestfriend, was left in shock. His eyes couln't believe anything. His hands trembled as he reaches out his phone, trying to call for help. It took him several takes to finally dial the emergency number. Namjoon ran towards them. But he quite regretted his decision. His eyes saw the brutality of the incident. His parents were shot on the center of their foreheads, burying a hole into it. Namjoon knew it was too late even if the ambulance and the rescuers come. So instead of weeping like Taehyung, his eyes wandered around the venue and saw the man taking off the hood that covers his face. The man barely revealed himself and smirked before leaving the bereaved family in total vain and pain. Namjoon got on his knees now, shaking up his mother's still glowing cheeks. His tears are finally falling down, real and painful.

"Eomma..Appa.."

Namjoon can only say those words. No more. His intelligence can't make him work out more sentences or rhyming lines that makes up poems, novels and songs. If only he wasn't intelligent, no such competitions will come in his life, and this will never happen. Namjoon blamed himself solely, wholly. He tried to reach out for Taehyung's hands, but his guilt, stopped him. Instead, Namjoon punched the cemented ground - hard enough to make his hands bleed. Taehyung stopped him and the younger's eyes pleaded his hyung to stop. They started hearing sirens, the police and the ambulance. Their parents were rescued to say the very least, but the declaration of his parent's death on site, pained the brothers so well.

"Hyung..."

Taehyung called his brother's attention, though he knew that the older is barely attentive and his eyes are blank and devastated. Taehyung did not get a response, so he held on to his brother's hands.

"I think I know the one who did this to our parents"

Taehyung said which made Namjoon look at his younger brother, gaining all the attention Taehyung pleaded. Namjoon's eyes was furious. His breathing became heavy. The thoughts of revenge came to his mind.

"Are you certain?"

Namjoon asked, earning a nod from Taehyung.

"Then let's report him to the police, Tae! We should catch the culprit!"

Jimin barged in their conversation, eager to catch the man who did this to his second parents as well. But Taehyung shook his head in disagreeance.

"Why? What's stopping you, Taehyung-ah?"

Namjoon asked, curious of what his brother is thinking. Taehyung gritted his teeth very well, his glance are heading towards a certain direction. Namjoon and Jimin followed Taehyung's line of sight. The police officers' way.

"He is one of them"

Taehyung said. Though he didn't see  the face of the gunman right after their parents were shot, he saw a shining material on his chest. That's when he saw the badge of the police officer. He can't be mistaken. He and Jimin knows the policemen very well at this young age.

"Are you sure? How could police officers commit such crime? It looked like a highly paid gunman's work. Just like in movies and series we used to watch"

Jimin argued, not giving in to his bestfriend's own testimony. But for someone who loves to watch crime-related films and stuff, that fact is certainly plausible as well.

"I saw the police officer's badge on his chest earlier, hyung"

Taehyung told Namjoon with waterfall of tears falling on his cheeks from his now reddened eyes. Namjoon nodded his head and came to hug his younger brother, who cries like a total five-year old right now. His tone of words aren't just because he is crying. Namjoon also knew that his younger brother is at the height of his anger. He admired the policemen of all persons. Namjoon knows how much Taehyung would like to collaborate with their parents as newscasters and media personnels. Taehyung catches, their parents broadcasts. Namjoon dreams of being a company owner. He wanted to build his own broadcast station so that their parents won't bother to work for others. But that dream is already shattered. Namjoon knows that his dream and Taehyung's dream won't ever come true. Never.

"Taehyung-ah..."

Namjoon called his younger brother's attention who just finished his loud cries and sniffs are just the thing only heard at the moment. Taehyung looked up to his brother.

"Let's catch the culprit ourselves"

Namjoon stated.