You're Unfair

Our Little Dorm Mother
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I nibbled on my toasted bread quietly while everyone else spoke. We were having breakfast although, it felt like an interview more than anything. The EXO members were taking it in turns to ask, Lay, the member that returned from China, questions about his time in his native country. Judging by the excited eyes and keen stares, Lay was someone they hadn't seen, or spoken to, in a very long time.

"We saw your latest song, 'Lose Control'" Baekhyun piped. "It was really well composed."

"Did they really let you arrange everything?" Sehun asked him.

Lay nodded. He had just taken a shower so his jet-black hair was combed back to reveal his fair forehead. Overall, his skin was milky and smooth which brought out the intensity in his dark eyes. Like Sehun, he had a pointy chin which made him look mature especially when his hair was combed back. He saw me gaping at him and he turned to give me a quick smile. Flustered, I looked away immediately.

"I'm proud of you, Lay," Xiumin told him warmly. "I'm happy they're finally letting you do your own thing."

Lay smiled back at him and I noticed that he had dimples. "Thanks, hyung" he beamed but then he sighed sadly and his dimples disappeared. "If only SM let the others do their own thing too then, maybe they wouldn't have left..."

Suddenly, the atmosphere around the dining table dampened as the EXO members looked down at their plates. The 'others' Lay was most likely referring to were the other Chinese members that left EXO. I peered at the members and saw that they were all contemplating on what Lay had said.

"We can't turn back time," Suho said finally. "But, we can enjoy what we have achieved now."

"That's true" Chen agreed, "so congrats, Lay-hyung, on your first mini album!"

The EXO members started clapping so I joined in too. Lay's dimples returned as he smiled at the rest of us bashfully. Once everyone was done with applauding Lay, his eyes met with mine. "So" he began, "You're our dorm mother."

I smiled at him amiably. "Yeah. I guess it's finally nice to meet the elusive ninth member" I joked. 

He cocked his head and replied, "I don't think we got off on the right foot earlier." He scratched his head. "I'm sorry for surprising you. I was too tired to think last night so I'd completely forgotten that you were staying in the dorm."

"You don't have to apologise! It was my fault too--"

"No. It was definitely all mine. I should have been more wary--"

"But, you were right about what you were saying earlier. I shouldn't have been in your room in the first place--"

"Ah. But I should have let the others know I was coming back. So ultimately, it was my fault--"

"It was both your faults!" Baekhyun snapped. His sudden outburst surprised both of us. "What is this? A battle of politeness?"

Sehun chortled. "Lay-hyung can't help it. He's a natural softie."

"And Nami-ah's stubborn too" D.O added. I gave him a questioning look and he explained. "Even back at the retreat, you insisted on sleeping on the floor even though I offered the sofa to you. It was only when Chanyeol--" D.O stopped abruptly at the mention of Chanyeol's name.

The rest of the members started to look around as they noticed that Chanyeol was nowhere to be found. I looked around too. Where was he? As if Lay had read my mind, he voiced out that same question.

"He left for China this morning" Baekhyun replied.

"What?!" Lay exclaimed, clearly astonished. "He left for China? Just when I came back?"

"You literally missed him by a few hours" D.O mentioned.

I gawked at D.O. Chanyeol left? Without saying goodbye? I felt a tightness in my chest as I continued thinking about him. Even though I knew I shouldn't care about him anymore, I couldn't help feeling saddened by his departure. Even if we were estranged, I still expected him to say goodbye. After all, we weren't going to see each other for a long time and as much as I didn't want to admit it, I was going to miss him.

"Speaking of a few hours" Kai suddenly interrupted. "Did everyone receive notice to leave their schedules free for this afternoon and evening?"

Almost everyone nodded.

"I don't have my schedule yet" Lay explained. "So I'm guessing I'm free."

"Does anyone know why, though?" Kai asked. "I mean, is there something going on today?"

Just then, the doorbell rang which caught everyone's attention. All eyes focused on the direction of the front door. Who could it be so early in the morning?

"Sehun, go answer it" Suho ordered.

Sehun huffed, "Why me?"

"Because you're the closest to the door."

Sehun scowled at Suho's reasoning and unwillingly got up to answer the door. When he came back, he was holding two envelopes in his hand. He stared at them whilst he walked over to us. "There was no one outside. Whoever came by dropped these off." He showed us the two envelopes. "This one's for you, Little Umma," he said as he handed me one of them.

I looked at it curiously. A letter? Who could it be from? As far as I knew, no one from back home knew where I lived. I peered at the name at the back of the envelope and saw that it was addressed to a 'Minami'. I knew for sure that it was definitely not from someone back home.

"What does it say?" Kai asked as he encouraged me to open the envelope.

Carefully, I tore the flap open and pulled out a white piece of card that had cursive Hangul written all over it. I squinted at the card, embarrassed that my reading ability for the Korean alphabet was a lot lower than my speaking ability. I skimmed over it and tried my best to read out what I could.

"'You are... invited... your... at five o'clock... tonight.'"

"Huh?"

I looked up and saw that the rest of the EXO members were just as confused as I was.

"Give it here," Baekhyun said as he snatched the invitation from me. "'You are cordially invited to your wedding which will be happening at five o'clock at the SM Entertainment Headquarters. Please be ready for tonight.'"

I felt everyone's stares lock onto me as they all slowly turned around to see my reaction. My wedding? My jaw was left hanging open.

"It's the invitation!" Sehun exclaimed. "It's the WGM invitation!"

"You're getting married?!" Lay shouted at me. "To who?"

Everyone turned to Sehun, who was still holding onto the other invitation. Immediately, they all made a grab for it while Sehun stretched his arm above his head to keep it away from them. "Not so fast, guys!"

"Damn it! You're too tall, Sehunnie!" Kai cursed, as he pushed himself up to his tip-toes.

Sehun smirked triumphantly. "While Chanyeol-hyung is away, I'm the tallest in the group."

"Just hurry up and open the envelope already!" Xiumin shouted impatiently.

"Yeah!" Suho agreed. "Let's find out who's doing WGM with Nami-ah."

"Wait a sec," Lay interrupted the others. "Am I included in this too? I didn't even know this was happening."

The other EXO members exchanged looks with each other. "I think you are" Suho replied. "Since Chanyeol's away, you might be taking his place. But we don't know for sure."

"I'd laugh if it turned out to be Lay-hyung" Chen commented. "Imagine that, Nami-ah and Lay-hyung going on WGM together even though they've just met."

"It would be awkward for you guys" Baekhyun mentioned.

I looked at Lay and immediately felt nervous. Baekhyun was right. It would be awkward to go and do WGM with Lay. I hardly knew him.

To my surprise, Lay was relaxed. "I don't think so," he responded nonchalantly. "In fact, I and Nami-ssi are already very close."

This made me curious. "Why do you say that?"

"Isn't it obvious?" he asked while smiling at me flirtatiously, revealing his dimples. "Because we've already slept together on the first meeting" and he winked.

I felt myself colour in his response.

"Yah! Don't go making a move on Little Umma like that, Lay-hyung!" Baekhyun exclaimed.

Suho covered his face with his hands as he mumbled, "First a dirty maknae, now a dirty hyung..." He sighed.

Chen laughed, "You're so smooth, hyung! When did you get so bold?"

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter