In Denial

Our Little Dorm Mother
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Suho jumped up the sound of the front door opening. "They're back!" he shouted. Kai and Sehun jolted up from their napping positions on the sofa.

Suho watched expectantly as Chanyeol and D.O sauntered into the common area, their heads hanging low. He looked behind Chanyeol who had come in last. "Where's Nami-ah?" he asked, half-expecting her to jump out from her hiding place.

D.O shook his head. "We didn't find her."

Chanyeol sat down on the sofa and covered his face with his hands. "We looked for her everywhere. We even asked Suji's driver to ask around for her but, no one said they'd seen her."

Suho watched as D.O sat down gloomily on the sofa. His brows were knitted so tightly together that it made deep creases on his forehead. "Nami-ah could be anywhere. I just hope that she's okay."

"Did you manage to get hold of Xiumin-hyung?" Chanyeol asked, his hopes lifting for a minute.

Suho shook his head. "It went straight to voicemail again."

Chanyeol sighed.

"They'll be back home soon though, hyung," Sehun said, trying to stay optimistic. "Maybe Little Umma might have contacted him? Or maybe she's with them right now?"

"Yeah, that could be a possibility," Kai said, supporting Sehun.

Suho was unsure. "But in case she hadn't, I think that we should file a missing person's report."

All the members in the room turned to Suho. Hearing him say those words made the fear in their gut feel more real.

"We can't file one of those unless Little Umma's been missing for at least twenty-four hours" Sehun informed him.

"How long has it been since she was missing?" Suho asked Chanyeol.

Chanyeol murmured, "Almost five hours."

D.O looked at the clock. It was turning ten in the evening. He stood up abruptly and started pacing around to calm his nerves. With each step he took, he prayed that Nami was safe somewhere as if by engaging in this strange ritual, he would be able to conjure her back safely to the dorm.

Unable to sit still, Chanyeol got up and joined D.O in his pacing.

"Will you two quit it?" Kai complained to them both. "Seeing you two do that is making me anxious."

"I just can't keep still and do nothing" D.O replied, his pace quickening.

Suho looked at the pair sympathetically. "Look. It's already late. Pacing around here isn't going to bring her back. We should all get some rest now and maybe she will turn up in the morning."

"How can you go to sleep knowing Nami-ah is still missing?" D.O retorted.

Suho was startled at D.O's sudden outburst. "I know you're upset D.O-ah but we have to stay calm. All of us have had a long day and we all need to get some rest for tomorrow."

D.O glanced at the others and saw that Sehun and Kai had worn expressions on their faces. "You guys can go to sleep. I'll wait up for Xiumin-hyung and the others."

"I'll wait for them too" Chanyeol added.

Suho sighed at them both. "Okay, then. Suit yourselves."

Chanyeol watched as Suho made his way upstairs along with Sehun and Kai. He glanced at D.O who continued to pace around the common room like a possessed monk as he was muttering something under his breath with each step. He turned his attention to the window and glanced at the pitch-black sky outside.

Their dorm was a high building that overlooked the city of Seoul. He would have appreciated the scenery more if it weren't that anxious feeling that he was harbouring in his chest. Chanyeol looked down on the street below and saw how peaceful it looked. He prayed to God, prayed to Buddha, prayed to Allah--anyone-- to bring Nami back safely to them. Willing whatever celestial being that existed to grant his wish so that he could remove the guilt that was slowly eating him up. If anything happened to Nami... he kept thinking. It took him all the strength he had to banish the wild thoughts which entered his mind. Most of which were negative and gruesome.

Chanyeol closed his eyes as he prayed. But as soon as he did, he noticed a car driving down the street below and stopping outside their dorm. It was a taxi. Chanyeol watched in curiosity as a man with a white scarf climbed out of the taxi only to open the door on the other side. As he did so, a young woman with a black cap climbed out. Chanyeol's eyes widened as he recognised who it was. His prayers had been answered. It was Nami.

"She's here!" he shouted at the top of his lungs.

D.O stopped his pacing and ran over to the window to join him. "Nami-ah's here?" he asked, searching the street below, "Where? Where is she?"

Chanyeol pointed at the young woman who was limping towards the front entrance. D.O ran from the window straight to the front door. As he did so, he called up the stairs for Suho, Kai and Sehun to come down. But Chanyeol stayed where he was. He didn't want to move from his spot since he feared that Nami would disappear from his sight again: he couldn't risk it a second time.

As he watched her approach the front door with the help of the man with the white scarf, he couldn't help noticing how familiar they were with each other. Nami looked like she was having a conversation with him and he didn't like how, even though it was dark and he couldn't see his face well, he was smiling at her radiantly.

Eventually, the man with the white scarf left in the taxi he came in and Nami entered the dorm. D.O was the first to greet her.

"Nami-ah!" he exclaimed as he wrapped his arms around her and hugged her tightly. This surprised the other EXO members, who were watching from behind him.

"D.O-ah" her voice was muffled as she just about reached his shoulders. "You're suffocating me."

"Omo!" he let go of her immediately and he blushed as he realised what he'd done. "I-I'm sorry Nami-ah, I don't know what came over me." He took in her appearance and how she leaned on her right leg for support. "What happened to you? Why are you hurt?"

Nami glanced down. "It's a long story." She peered from behind him and saw that the others were staring at her. She met eyes with Chanyeol briefly and averted her gaze back to D.O. "If you don't mind D.O-ah, I'd like to get some rest now. Maybe we can talk more in the morning?"

D.O looked like he wanted to protest but, silently, he obeyed. He offered his arm as support as he helped her walk to her room.

"Little Umma..." Kai muttered, gazing at her as she walked by.

She smiled at him weakly.

Suho stopped her from going any further. "Can you at least tell us why you didn't call? We were so worried about you."

Nami took out her phone and showed it to them. "My phone is broken. I couldn't contact anyone even if I wanted to."

D.O took a look at her phone and inspected the damage with his hand. "It might be beyond repair"

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter