Dark Horse

Our Little Dorm Mother
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The sound of stiletto heels tapping across the laminated floor resonated across the studio as Suji entered through the double doors with a confident smile.

She glanced around and watched as flashes of bright light illuminated the studio in rapid fire. The sound of the camera clicking as each photo was taken was like clockwork. Amidst the bright lights and the busy hubbub of the photographers and stylists, Suji was at ease. She had finally found who she was looking for.

At the end of the studio, stood EXO, getting ready for their photo shoot. They were wearing expensive, designer clothing and were busy getting their hair styled to perfection.

Suji watched them closely, her eyes taking in their beautiful side profiles. But there was one person who she was eyeing up hungrily. And that was their leader, Suho.

Suji let out a sigh of adoration as she stared at Suho’s handsome features. How could such a perfect man exist? She kept thinking to herself. It was like he was plucked from a fairy tale story so that he could meet Suji. He was like her Prince Charming and protector. Even though Suho was his stage name, Suji felt that it suited him perfectly. ‘Suho’ meant ‘guardian’ and her father did well to christen him with that name. After all, it meant that they both shared the same first syllable in their name. It was like they were fated for each other.

Suji quickly checked her face using a pocket mirror. She needed to look her best before she spoke to the EXO members. She was going to have a lot of interaction with them today since she was going to star as their female model.

Suji watched as her reflection smiled cunningly back at her. It was all because of her that the original model couldn’t make it.

She had arranged for the model to be conveniently delayed on her way to Seoul so that she wouldn’t be able to attend. And since she knew how difficult it was to get a replacement, they would have no choice but to ask her. And why wouldn’t they? She was an experienced model and was perfectly capable of doing the job. Her plan was foolproof!

Suji finished touching up her makeup by wearing a bold, red lip tint. She looked fabulous and she knew it.

She looked up and finally decided it was time she got herself ready for the photoshoot. As she confidently approached one of the head stylists, she asked casually, “Hey unnie, when is the female model shooting with EXO?”

The stylist greeted her first with a bow and timidly replied, “The female model will be shooting in fifteen minutes. She’s currently getting her make-up done but, she will be out soon.”

Suji’s jaw dropped, “What?!”

The stylist jolted at her sudden change of tone.

“What do you mean she’s currently getting her make-up done?” she demanded.

But the stylist didn’t have time to reply as if on cue, the doors opened and in came the replacement model. Suji followed the stylists’ gaze and she turned around.

The model was of a slender and petite build. Her long, raven hair was swept back and volumized to create a wild look. She was wearing a short, black, lacey dress that was tight-fitting around her bust to reveal an impressive size with black, leather boots to complement her contemporary yet, classic outfit.

Suji eyed the model in awe. From her vantage point, she could see that the model had an angular jaw rather than the desired v-shape that was common amongst Korean models. Her skin was also an exotic caramel colour which surprised her. Even though the model didn’t have characteristics that were typically sought after, Suji couldn’t deny that she found her strangely captivating. She was unique. And that frustrated her.

Suji watched as the model walked into the set, her head whisking around, as she searched for the EXO members. She saw that the model was wearing a masquerade eye-mask so, to Suji’s dismay, she couldn’t identify her.

“She’s so pretty” Suji heard the stylist murmur.

She shot the stylist a look and she shrank away. “Who is she?” Suji questioned pointedly.

“I don’t know” the stylist meekly replied. “She just came in with the EXO members. Apparently, she’s an acquaintance of theirs.”

Suji frowned.

She watched as the model made her way towards the EXO members and how some of the male staff stopped to turn their heads as she walked past. It wasn’t only Suji who found her presence mystifying.

Just who is this model? Suji asked herself. The model had thwarted her plans of modelling with EXO and made her feel like an idiot.

Suji watched as the EXO members spoke to the model. She watched as they all smiled at her as they greeted her warmly. But it was only when she saw Suho’s flustered expression did Suji start to feel green with envy. That ! She thought vehemently.

She hadn’t even spoken to her yet she already knew she hated her.

Suji detested anyone who got too close to EXO, especially with Suho. The model was like a dark horse that suddenly appeared out of nowhere and now, she was fluttering her eyes at her prince, vying for his affection. She loathed sharing and she especially abhorred competition.

And that dark horse was definitely competition.

Suji glared at the model from a distance. She may have stolen the limelight this time but, she guaranteed that there wasn’t going to be a next.

Just who are you? Suji kept thinking. It won’t be long till I find out!

I was nervous.

I walked into the set with my head held high but inside I was terrified. My palms felt clammy and my stomach felt like it was doing somersaults. I was so anxious that I felt like I was going to throw up.

Me? A model? How did I get myself into this mess? I kept thinking. And then I remembered...

I had been enjoying my dinner when I noticed that everyone was staring at me. “What?” I asked. Had I done something wrong?

“Nami-ah” Suho began, “will you please do us a massive favour?”

I looked around and saw that everyone was looking at me expectantly.

“It depends on what it is” I carefully replied.

Suho braced himself, “We need you to model with us tomorrow.” His eyes searched mine as he finished speaking.

Everyone waited for my response.

"Model?” I said not quite comprehending, “as in, posing for pictures?”

Suho nodded.

“No” I flatly refused. ”Me? Modelling? You must be mad.” I said dismissing his absurd proposition.

“Please, Nami-ah!” Suho begged, “we don’t have anyone else to ask.”

“But, I’m not a model,” I told him.

Suho shook his head, “That won’t matter, we just need someone who can work with us without feeling threatened by EXO-Ls.”

“And what makes you think I won’t feel threatened?” I asked curiously.

“Because you’re an ARMY” Chen interjected. I looked at him and he continued, “And you’re not like most girls. You’re stronger” he added, feeding into my ego. I smiled at myself smugly.

“So will you do it?” Suho’s voice sounded hopeful.

I gave him an unsure look.

“She doesn’t want to do it, Suho-hyung” Baekhyun interrupted. He shrugged his shoulders, “There’s no point in forcing her.”

“Yeah, it’s not like she’d look good in a dress anyway” Chanyeol added.

Baekhyun agreed, “That’s true. Little Umma doesn’t really have much feminine charm. I mean, I doubt she’d be able to pull it off even if she does model with us.”

I shot daggers at both of them. “Yah, are you saying that I’m not feminine?”

Baekhyun and Chanyeol exchanged looks. Then, nodded in unison, “Yep.”

I frowned.

“Do you blame us?” Chanyeol queried, “All you ever wear are hoodies and yoga pants. They don’t really do much for the feminine department.”

“But you can always prove us wrong by wearing a dress and modelling with us” Baekhyun taunted.

I clenched my teeth. I wasn’t about to let Baekhyun and Chanyeol insult me in front of the others. Especially not in front of Xiumin. I looked to my left and found Xiumin peering up at me expectantly. Did he want me to model too?

“Okay, fine. I’ll do it.”

Baekhyun and Chanyeol grinned sneakily.

“Great!” Suho exclaimed. “I’m so glad you changed your mind, Nami-ah!”

I watched as Suho left to make a phone call while Baekhyun and Chanyeol high-fived each other.

I shrank as I realised what I’d gotten myself in for. I’m going to regret this...

I blinked a couple of times to focus my eyes on the set in front of me. I wasn’t used to wearing dresses and it didn’t help that the one I was wearing was a body-hugging type. It was so tight that it revealed my shape a lot more than I would have liked. I felt really self-conscious about my chest area. There was a r

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter