Dangerous Charm

Our Little Dorm Mother
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“You have to get the golden star, Sehun!” Kai yelled.

“I’m trying, I’m trying!” Sehun yelled back.

The pair pressed the buttons on their Wii remotes repeatedly as they fixated their gaze on the TV screen. It was early in the morning and the EXO members were still on their short but, well-earned holiday.

“Get the mushroom!” Kai ordered.

“I don’t want it. I want the helicopter power” he replied.

“There’s no time to be picky. Ah-” Kai was caught off guard. “Great, we lost it now.”

“I didn’t want it anyway.”

“Why do you want the helicopter so much?” Kai asked as he continued to play the game.

“Because it’s the closest to my power.”

“Hah?” he looked curiously at Sehun.

Sehun glanced at his direction, “The power of wind.”

Kai smiled, “You’re such a pabo.”

The pair continued to play the game together when they suddenly spotted Nami passing by, “Ah, Nami-ssi.” Sehun called her. He saw that she was carrying a large laundry basket. “Do you wanna play Super Mario Bros with us? It’s a four player.”

Nami looked at the screen and replied, “I love that game!” she placed the basket down and stood behind the pair who were sitting on the sofa. “But I prefer Mario Kart, you guys got that?”

“Of course we do!” Kai answered.

“Ha! You guys are so gonna lose. Mario kart’s my jam, brudda”

“Your jam?” Kai retorted, “Hah! You can’t even get past the starting lane!”

“Well, I’m in if you’re gonna play it,” Nami said as she grabbed a remote. “I’m the reigning queen at this.”

"Reigning queen?” Both of them repeated in unison. They exchanged looks and then burst into laughter.

“You didn’t even know how to work a Wii remote a few days ago!” Kai reminded her in between gasps of breath.

Nami blushed, “I did! I was just rusty...”

“Well, the main competition’s between you and I, Kai” Sehun declared. “You can just aim for tenth place, Nami-ssi.”

Nami scowled at Sehun, “Oh, I am so gonna whoop you in this game!” She sat down on the sofa, in between Kai and Sehun. Once the game started she exclaimed to the pair, “It is on like Donkey-Kong!”

The sound of laughter from downstairs caught Xiumin’s attention. He turned to Chen, who was on his bed, quietly reading a book. “They sound like they’re having fun downstairs” he commented, as he put down the manhwa he was reading.

Chen glanced up from his book, “They’re playing games again,” he rolled his eyes, “kids these days.”

Xiumin laughed softly. “Do you wanna do something as a group together? It’s been a while since we’d all hung out outside of work.”

Chen put his book down, “Sure.” He leered, “as long as you’re paying.”

Xiumin replied nonchalantly, “I’ll get Suho.”

Chen sniggered, “What did you have in mind?

“We’re going to a karaoke bar!” Suho announced from behind us. I tore my eyes away from the TV screen for a brief moment. Kai and Sehun were still engrossed playing.

“Karaoke?” I repeated. “Right now?”

A few moments later, Chen and Xiumin joined us downstairs and they were dressed to go out. Suho spoke again, “Yeah, it’s rare that everyone’s together during a day off so, we might as well do something as a group.”

“But hyung,” Sehun replied without taking his eyes off the screen, “we see each other every day. Why do would you want to spend more time with each other?”

Suho frowned, “Yah, Sehun! What’s our motto?”

I watched as Sehun rolled his eyes, ”We are one" he said lazily.

“C’mon guys, it’ll be fun!” Xiumin joined in. He was eyeing me specifically, “And we can have a welcome party for Nami-ssi too. We hadn’t had an opportunity to celebrate you coming to live with us.”

“I’m not really feeling it” replied Kai who was absorbed with playing the game. “You guys can go without me--”

“We’ll order chicken.”

“--Okay, I’m going.” Chen had Kai’s full attention.

“What about you, Sehun?” asked Xiumin. “You’re coming too, right?”

“Of course he’s coming” Suho answered for him. “Chen, go and get the others. We’ll leave in fifteen minutes.”

As Chen left to call the others, Xiumin turned to me. “I hope you don’t mind going to a karaoke bar, Nami-ssi. We would have gone to a club or something in the evening but, we have work again tomorrow.”

“It’s fine” I replied. I wasn’t that keen on clubbing in the first place. “But karaoke, huh? With a bunch of idols too.” I laughed nervously.

“What’s up? You don’t like karaoke?” queried Kai.

“It’s not that I don’t like it” I said slowly, “but my singing is a little...” I twisted my wrist to represent how shaky it was.

Xiumin smiled at me reassuringly, “It can’t be that bad!”

The members were in awe at Nami’s singing voice.

Xiumin turned to the others and saw how almost everyone had their jaw hanging open.

Nami continued to belt out note after note of BTS’ ‘I Need U’ with enthusiasm and spirit but, somehow, she never managed to hit the right key. Xiumin expected Sehun or Kai to say something but everyone was too stunned to react. When she finished, everyone plastered on their poker faces and started clapping.

Nami was flustered, “It was bad...wasn’t it?”

Unable to contain himself, Chanyeol’s poker face broke and he started giggling, “It was awful.”

Xiumin was annoyed at Chanyeol for saying that. It was okay to roast the other members because they had been together for so long but, not Nami. She was still a girl and, girls were more sensitive. Xiumin was about to say something when Nami suddenly spoke.

“I’m not that good at singing in general” she lifts up the karaoke remote and starts punching in the numbers for another song. “But I do have a different musical talent.”

“Please don’t tell me this is another BTS song” Kai begged. “You sang three of theirs already.”

Nami stuck out her tongue, “And you sang a lot of SHINee’s songs too.”

“But that’s because he has a bromance going on with Taemin-hyung” Sehun interjected.

Nami finished punching the numbers and the sound of piano keys and drums started playing. She tossed her mic to Sehun, “You’re gonna sing with me.”

“Bwo?” Sehun was startled.

She picked up another mic and threw it at Xiumin. “Xiumin-ssi, you take the chorus.”

She turned to Chanyeol and smiled challengingly at him, “Let’s see what you think of this when I’m done.”

The title of the song came up. It was ‘Can’t Hold Us’ by Mackelmore. The rest of the EXO members watched intently as Nami picked up a mic and started rapping along with the soundtrack. It was an English song but the EXO members were sure they had heard it before. Nami exhibited the same enthusiasm and spirit as she always did for every song but, this time she sounded so natural. It was like she had spent many hours rehearsing for this moment. She was in beat and, to Chanyeol, she looked like she was feeling the music. She rapped without hesitation and it impressed him.

Howls of cheer were heard after Nami finished the song. She thanked Sehun and Xiumin for accompanying her even when they had difficulty keeping up.

“It seems we have another rapper in the house!” Baekhyun declared, “Better watch out Chanyeol, Nami-ssi might end up replacing you.”

Chanyeol snapped out of his thoughts, “Hah, you wish!” he retorted. He watched as Nami took her se

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter