Burning Up

Our Little Dorm Mother
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Nami-ah.”

I turned around at the sound of someone calling my name. I frowned, “Go away, Chanyeol.”

Chanyeol continued to tail me as I entered the bathroom.

“Are you going to follow me into the bathroom too?” I barked at him.

It had been three days since the photo shoot and I had been refusing to talk to Chanyeol ever since. Chanyeol didn’t give up easily--he had been pestering me to forgive him but I had ignored him every single time he attempted to make conversation with me. I was furious at him. But above all, I was annoyed at myself for letting him see me cry.

“C’mon, Nami-ah. How long are you going to stay angry at me? I’ve already apologised a dozen times” he said, through the crack in the door. He had wedged his foot in between the door and the door frame so I couldn’t shut it.

“It doesn’t matter how many times you apologise, I won’t forgive you!” I snarled at him.

Chanyeol pulled a face. I saw him search his pockets for his phone. “Not even if I got you the most awesome apology gift?” Chanyeol showed me his phone screen where his messages on KakaoTalk was open. It was all in Hangul and I had difficulty reading it but, all I needed to see was who they were from to convince me to open the bathroom door.

It was Chanyeol’s conversation with Suga. Suga, from BTS!

I loosened my grip on the bathroom door and immediately started translating Suga’s messages in my head. I didn’t understand most of what they were talking about but, I did manage to decipher some of the characters.

My eyes darted across the small screen and then met Chanyeol’s as I looked up at him. Chanyeol had a lopsided grin on his face.

“Suga wants us to come and visit them?” My voice was trembling with excitement.

“Yep. They have practice at Big Hit Entertainment today. We can go and visit them as soon as you’re ready.”

I was stunned speechless.

Chanyeol’s grin grew wider. “So, am I forgiven?”

I stared up at him, unable to contain my excitement and joy. The only thing I was thinking about was how I was going to meet BTS today.

BTS. I was going to meet BTS!

For a brief moment, I’d forgotten I was angry at Chanyeol and I embraced him. I squealed, “Thank you, Chanyeol! Thank you! I’m so excited!”

Chanyeol was startled at my sudden embrace. He laughed, “I should have done this sooner if I knew how excited you’d be.” I felt his arms wrap around my shoulders as if he was returning my embrace.

I pushed him away immediately, finally remembering that I was meant to be angry at him. I composed myself, “But, this doesn’t excuse you from what you did before.”

Chanyeol was perplexed, “But I said I was sorry.”

“And I acknowledge that now,” I told him. His face relaxed at my words. “But” I continued, I left him for a brief second and returned with a toilet brush in my hand. “If you ever do that to me again--”

“Woah, woah, woah,” Chanyeol said alarmed as he backed away from me. “Put the toilet brush down, Nami-ah.”

I inched closer towards him with the bristles of the toilet brush facing his direction. “Do that to me again,” I told him threateningly, “and I’ll make sure your mouth will be swimming in germs!”

Chanyeol leaned away from me as I hovered the toilet brush in front of him. He squeaked, “Okay, okay! I promise! I won’t do anything like that again. Please, just put the toilet brush away! Don’t you know how dirty that thing is?”

I smiled triumphantly at his response. “Good. It sounds like we have an understanding.”

Chanyeol breathed a sigh of relief as I returned the toilet brush.

He will know better not to do anything like that to me ever again!

Chanyeol pulled his black cap lower to hide his eyes. He was wearing a black mask and casual clothing. I gaped at him, “Don’t tell me you’re going to be wearing that mask the whole time?”

He exchanged looks with me, “I have no choice,” his voice sounded muffled, “it’s the only way I can avoid attracting too much attention.”

“It looks like you’re attracting more attention with it on,” I sighed.

We were on the bus to go to Big Hit Entertainment Headquarters. As Chanyeol didn’t have permission to go on leave, he had snuck out of the dorm and skipped rehearsals just so that we can visit BTS at their studio. He didn’t even let any of the managers or the other members know where we were going. And without our own private transportation, we had to result to using public transport. A.K.A the bus.

“You know, I wouldn’t have agreed to go if you’d told me you were skipping rehearsals because of it,” I told him.

He gave me a sideways glance, “What else could I do? It was the only way I could get you to forgive me.”

I was quiet. “I would have forgiven you eventually.”

He looked at me doubtfully, “No you wouldn’t.” I watched as his eyes crinkled to signal that he was smiling behind his mask, “And I won’t regret doing this. Even if it gets me into trouble.”

I looked at him curiously and saw that his eyes were twinkling. Something was a little different about Chanyeol today.

We were both quiet for a while as we listened to the humming of the bus. It was a long way to Big Hit Entertainment from the dorm so we had time to spare. There weren’t many passengers on the bus so thankfully, no one had seemed to notice Chanyeol’s peculiar appearance. We sat next to each other, at the back of the bus, away from prying eyes.

I stared out the window, not knowing what else to do or say to Chanyeol. We had never had a quiet moment alone with each other so, it felt awkward. If it wasn’t Baekhyun, it would be Chanyeol teasing me. And if we weren’t poking fun at each other, we would be arguing over something trivial so, sitting quietly next to each other was something I was unfamiliar with.

“So” Chanyeol suddenly said, breaking the silence. “What is it about BTS that you like so much?”

I peered up at him, “I like their songs a lot. They’re very meaningful to me.” I reminisced my year abroad in Seoul and how I exhausted my phone battery from listening to BTS non-stop. They were my first K-pop love.

“Then what about our music?”

I scrutinised his expression and saw that he was curious. Over the past month, I had heard EXO rehearse non-stop day after day. Some of their songs were good and I wasn’t going to deny it. “I like some of yours too.”

Chanyeol’s eyes glittered, “Wah! I thought I’d never see the day when a BTS fan would admit that they liked EXO songs.”

“Don’t get ahead of yourself” I grinned at him, “it doesn’t mean I’m your fan or anything.”

“No, but it’s a start.” He looked smilingly at me, “In the beginning, I thought you were one of those anti-fans.”

I pulled a face at him, “Yah, just because I like BTS doesn’t automatically make me an EXO anti-fan.”

He chuckled, “No, that’s true. But you were very hard to get close to.” His eyes focused on mine, “you were always trying to distance yourself from me.”

I stared deeply into Chanyeol’s eyes. There really was something different about him today. Why was he being so earnest all of a sudden?

I shifted uncomfortably, “No I wasn’t” I quickly replied.

He looked away for a moment, “I thought you hated me. Or maybe, you were my anti-fan or something because you were nice to everyone else apart from me.”

“I don’t hate you,” I told him honestly. But I couldn’t really tell him that the reason why I was avoiding him was because I knew about his flirting habit. “And I’m not your anti-fan either.” I searched my mind for the right word, “I’m your fan-ah-in.”

Chanyeol was puzzled, “Bwo?”

“I’m not your fan but I acknowledge your skill” I explained.

Chanyeol smiled, “I see.”

We were quiet for a while again. And then he asked, “What’s your favourite song?”

I thought for a moment. There were so many BTS songs to choose from.

“And it can’t be a BTS song” he added playfully.

I raised my brow at him. Apart from BTS, there was only one other artist that I listened to frequently. “‘Pe

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter