Ten Months

Our Little Dorm Mother
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"So that's what happened when I left?" Nikka asked, astounded. "Wow."

I chuckled, "I know."

He looked at Chanyeol, who was standing a little further away from us, warily. "Just make sure you have your guard up. I gotta say, I don't really feel that comfortable with you pretending to be his girlfriend, even if it's all for show." He frowned. "If he ever pulls a funny one on you, make sure you hit him where it hurts."

The sound of the overhead speakers crackled as a voice notified us of the gates that were open for boarding. We were at Incheon International Airport and I was bidding Nikka goodbye. It was the following morning after the concert and Nikka was returning to the UK.

Earlier that morning, I had woken up early to go and see Nikka off when Chanyeol caught me sneaking out of the dorm. He was in his pyjamas and his eyes were heavy-lidded as if he hadn't had much sleep. "Where're you sneaking off to?" he asked, his voice was a little croaky from having just woken up.

I whispered, "I'm going to the airport."

Chanyeol was immediately more attentive, "What for?" he searched my person and saw that I was carrying a side bag. "Are you planning to escape, Nami-ah?"

I frowned at him. "I'm not leaving Seoul if that's what you're thinking. I'm going to see my friend off, you know, the guy you met yesterday? He's going back to the UK."

Chanyeol looked at me dubiously. "Wait here." He hurriedly went into his room and in ten minutes, he came out in a jumper, jeans and a black bomber jacket. "I'm coming with you."

I looked at him incredulously. "You don't need to come with me" I hissed. "I told you, I'm not going to run away."

"Then there should be no problem if I come, then," he said, giving me a lopsided smile.

I glanced at Chanyeol now. He was wearing a black surgical mask and a black baseball cap and was standing patiently while playing with his phone. I sighed. After Nikka leaves, I'll be alone to face the EXO members again. It was times like these that I needed a friend's support.

"Don't worry, Nikka" I told him. "I can handle him."

Nikka smiled weakly. "I know you can. You're a tough, little bugger." He opened up his arms and I accepted his embrace. It was warm and comforting. "I'm really gonna miss you" Nikka whispered into my hair. His beard was so close to my cheek that it tickled.

Chanyeol must have seen us hugging because suddenly, I saw his long arm sweep in between Nikka and I, forcing us to separate. He looked at us, a scowl forming on his lips. "Cheating on me already, Nami-ah?"

Nikka engaged in a stare down with Chanyeol. "What's his problem?" Nikka asked me.

I looked at Chanyeol. "Chanyeol, what are you doing? Can't you let me say goodbye to my friend in peace?" I asked in Korean.

He looked at me and then at Nikka. "You've said your goodbyes already, so let's go." He saw Nikka staring at him and he turned back to me, "And no more hugging. I'm your boyfriend now, remember?"

I sighed at him. Chanyeol was really irritating me today. "We only have to act like we're together in front of Suji-ssi" I reminded him. "And besides, I've already explained everything to Nikka. He knows that we're faking it."

Chanyeol looked at me as if I'd just betrayed him. "He knows? Why did you tell him?"

I arched my brow at him. "Don't you remember? He was there when it happened" I explained. "And, he's my best friend so he deserves to know."

Chanyeol pursed his lips. "Best friend, huh?"

I turned back to Nikka, "Ignore him, he's just cranky. He hasn't had breakfast yet."

Nikka shot Chanyeol a glare before turning back to me. "Well, shall we get back to where we left off?" He opened his arms again and wrapped them around me tightly. Nikka drew me so close to him, that I almost suffocated in his embrace. I felt his sturdy arms encircle my waist as he lifted me up and spun me around.

I squealed, "Oh my God, Nikka! Put me down!"

He chortled as he spun me around one last time and then placed me back down on the floor. "That was ten months' worth of hugs that should help me get through the time you're away."

I was dizzy from the spinning. "We can still Skype and WhatsApp, you know. You make it sound like we'll never see each other again."

Nikka had a small smile. "I know. And you better call me often or I'll start missing you." He his rucksack in front of him, "And before I forget, I have something for you."

"Another present?" I asked. "Nikka, I should be the one giving you something!"

He smiled as he pulled out a heart-shaped pillow from his bag. It was red and it had the words 'I love you' written in the middle in cursive writing.

"If you ever miss me, you can think of this pillow as me. If you need a hug, just hug it. If you need a shoulder to cry on, use it as a shoulder to cry on. Not that I ever want to see you cry!"

I took the pillow from his hands. It was made of plush. "Thank you, Nikka. You're so sweet."

He stared deeply into my eyes and said hesitantly, "And about what I was going to say last night."

I returned his stare, "Oh? That's right. You said you had something you wanted to tell me."

Nikka was reluctant. He played with the hem of his jacket, a habit he normally showed when he was nervous. "I--I--"

I continued to stare at him. "Go on" I prompted.

"I lo--"

"Nami-ah!" It was Chanyeol, calling me from the bulletin board of flights. I turned to face him. "Your friend's boarding gate has just opened."

"Okay, thanks!" I shouted back. I turned to face Nikka, "Chanyeol said that your gate has just opened." I searched his unreadable expression and remembered, "Oh yeah, you were saying something just now. Sorry about that, what were you going to tell me?"

Nikka shook his head and gave me a small smile. "It's okay, Mirei. It's not important." He slung his rucksack over one shoulder. "I should get going now, then."

I nodded. "Message me when you arrive at home, okay?"

He smiled. "Will do." Nikka started walking towards the gate where he was going to board. As he was doing so, he passed by Chanyeol who happened to be waiting nearby. He stopped and made eye contact with him. Chanyeol was slightly taller than Nikka but that didn't stop Nikka from engaging in a stare down. "You better look after, Mirei, Mr. Park" he said threateningly. "If I ever find out you made her cry, I'll make sure to box you right where the sun don't shine."

Chanyeol looked back at him, puzzled at what Nikka was saying.

I ran over to them and pushed Nikka forward, urging him to catch his flight before he missed it. "Stop causing trouble you idiot," I told him fondly. "You can't even punch straight."

"Just make sure he doesn't do anything funny to you. If he tries to kiss you, slap him and call the police" he yelled back as he started walking forwards.

I put on my best poker face. "I can handle him, don't worry!" It was a good thing I didn't tell Nikka about the kiss, I told myself. He would have let it rip. I waved Nikka goodbye as he disappeared through customs. I sighed once I knew he was gone.

"What was he saying to me earlier?" Chanyeol asked as he joined my side.

"He was saying how you weren't that handsome in real life" I lied.

"What?!" Chanyeol was outraged. "He said that?"

I smirked as we started walking out of the airport. After a while, Chanyeol asked, "How long have you been friends for?"

"Almost a year now. We work in the same place" I explained.

He hmphed.

"What?"

"Are you sure he just thinks of you as a friend?"

I looked at Chanyeol curiously. "Of course he does! Nikka's my best friend."

Chanyeol was doubtful. "From the way he looks at you, I don't think he sees it that way."

I frowned at him. "I think you're mistaken, Chanyeol. Nikka's just very friendly and we're very comfortable with each other."

"Yeah, but it almost looks like he wants something more--"

I slapped him on the shoulder.

"Ow!" he

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter