Junkyard

Normality

Joohyun let out a tired sigh as she awoke, stretching her limbs as much as she could with Seulgi’s arms around her. Somehow she had once again found herself in this position, despite the great weather that night but she wasn’t going to complain. She loved waking up next to Seulgi like this. Despite how darn cute Seulgi looked sleeping Joohyun brought two hands up to her cheeks and rubbed them softly with her thumbs.

“Wake up Seulgi.” Joohyun said softly and without missing a beat a pair of brilliant blue eyes started to flutter open and a cute little yawn followed them. How anyone could think Seulgi was dangerous was beyond Joohyun. If they could just see the girl now they’d see how harmless she was, although if she was honest Joohyun didn’t want anyone but her to wake up next to Seulgi to see her sleeping face. “Good morning.” Joohyun greeted with a smile.

“Good morning Joohyun.” Seulgi replied making Joohyun chuckle. Despite how much of a little devil Yeri was she couldn’t deny she felt grateful to her for teaching some words to Seulgi. While she was ok with Seulgi’s body gestures and expressions as replies she couldn’t deny that hearing the girls honey like voice made her morning a hundred times better.

“We need to get up! We’re going to the junkyard today.” Joohyun informed and she actually saw the gears in Seulgi’s head as she figured out what she said before a grin befell her face. She nodded and excitedly jumped out of bed, tripping on Joohyun and the bed sheets in the process falling face first onto the floor. “Oh my god Seulgi! Are you ok?!” Joohyun asked worriedly as Seulgi turned to sit on her bum with a chuckle while the worried girl was trying to get out of the bed only to repeat Seulgi’s mistake and trip, landing on top of Seulgi. “Ah sorry I…” Joohyun’s words got caught in as she looked up to meet Seulgi’s amusement filled eyes. “I…” Seulgi silenced her with small smile and a kiss on the cheek as she helped the girl stand up by taking her hand and standing in sync with her. “Thanks…” Joohyun muttered with a flushed face looking anywhere but Seulgi, missing the blush that had formed on the taller girls face.

Joohyun had shown Seulgi to the bathroom so she could shower (despite the fact that Seulgi still had to shower that week she still smelled like tangerines and honey) showing her how the faucet worked before heading downstairs to get their breakfast ready. Breakfast was quickly made, being set at the table as Seulgi walked downstairs with wet hair sticking to her neck and (thankfully) clothed shoulders. Joohyun smiled at the sight; somehow Seulgi looked just as cute as she did seductive with her hair dripping water.

 “Come here Seulgi.” Joohyun instructed, motioning with her hand for Seulgi to sit at a chair she had set up next to an electrical plug with a hair dryer connected to it. Seulgi followed the instructions however she eyed the hair dryer cautiously, something Joohyun didn’t miss. “Don’t worry Seulgi; It’s just to dry your hair. See.” The shorter girl said as she turned the device on, hot air blowing out of it as she put her hand in front of it. “Nothing dangerous about it.” Joohyun said and once she noticed the relieved look in Seulgi’s eyes she began drying her hair. Soon enough the duo was done and they found themselves at the kitchen table, talking as they ate.

“We’ll be going to the junkyard today, just let me call grandpa so he doesn’t get worried. Sometimes I don’t understand why he gets so protective of me, it’s like he doesn’t trust me to make my own decisions.” Joohyun confessed looking up at Seulgi who probably didn’t know what she was talking about. The blue eyed girl smiled and reached her hand over to Joohyun’s rubbing her knuckles with her thumb. Seulgi’s hand was somewhat calloused, Joohyun reasoned it was from working on Gomdori for a long time, but it always felt soft to the eighteen year old. They were also warm, warmer than a normal persons but Joohyun guess it was normal for her kind since Seulgi didn’t seem to be sick or anything of the sort. “Anyways let me go do that and take a quick shower and I’ll be right down so we can go.” Joohyun said with a smile and after the two finished breakfast, the teenager taking little to no time to do just that.

When Joohyun came down she saw Seulgi waiting in the front porch with Gomdori standing on the gravel road in front of her house. She nervously looked around before catching the eyes of an old lady that lived nearby who’s mouth was hanging open as she spilled the tea she was pouring in her cup. Joohyun smiled apologetically and bowed before taking Seulgi by the hand with a whine, pulling her behind herself.

“Jeez Seulgi, you can’t just let Gomdori walk around like that! People are going to get terrified from it!” Joohyun said receiving a of her head from Seulgi who was smiling at her. The duo walked in silence for the most part, Gomdori walking behind them causing the ground to rumble a bit with each step. Joohyun noticed that it’s steps were starting to cause less and less of an effect on the ground beneath it, which she was thankful for. She turned her head slightly to Gomdori sighing as the robot, seemingly knowing her thoughts, gave her a thumbs up. Seulgi chuckled but didn’t say anything. After a thirty minute walk Joohyun found herself in front of the junkyard’s entrance. Just as she was about to suggest climbing over the fencing she felt a pair of fingers wrapping around her and being lifted from the ground and placed on a shoulder, into Seulgi’s awaiting arms. “Jesus a little warning would’ve been nice Seulgi…” Joohyun breathed out nervously making Seulgi laugh and hug her tighter. After crossing the fence Gomdori sat down, offering its hand as a platform to lower the duo to the ground.

“Joohyun! Seulgi!” The duo jumped at the familiar voice that called for them whipping their heads around, showing different reactions. When Yeri came into view, covered in dirt, Seulgi smiled and Joohyun groaned.

“Yeri!” Seulgi called with a grin and went to hug the girl only to be pulled back by the collar by a blushing frowning Joohyun.

“Oh no you don’t! You’ll get dirty, you just took a shower!” Joohyun said with a small huff and turned to a smirking Yeri.

“Jealous much Joohyun?” When the blush on Joohyun’s face intensified Yeri let out a laugh. “Joohyun and Seulgi sitting in a tree!”

“Shut up you brat!” Joohyun screeched as she placed her hand over Yeri’s mouth only to pull it back in disgust when the younger girl it. “Ewww!” She whined making Seulgi laugh.

“Yeri! Stop making so much noise! We aren’t supposed to be here remember?!” Another female voice called out making the three girls turn their head to see Byul with a few mechanical parts in her hands followed by a very lively Yongsun. “Oh Joohyun!” The orange haired girl called with a smile. “What are you doing here? And who’s your friend?”

“Hey Byul.” Joohyun greeted with a smile. Sometimes she thought Byul was her only normal friend amongst the few she had. “Ah this is Seulgi, she needs something to fix her uh… car.” Joohyun said making Yeri raise her eyebrow.

“Are you sure it’s not for the giant robot hiding over there?” Byul said with a chuckle as she used her thumb to point behind her to a couching Gomdori seemingly trying to hide behind a mountain of trash. Joohyun caught Seulgi bringing a hand to her forehead and shaking her head with a sigh. “Don’t worry, Yong and Yeri filled me in on everything.” The girl explained getting a small nod of understanding from Joohyun. “Anyway’s what is it you’re looking for? Maybe I can help at least put a name to it.” The girl asked with one of her charming smiles.

“Seulgi do you still have your drawing?” Joohyun asked pretending to draw in her hand. A small look of realization came to Seulgi’s face and she nodded fishing out the piece of neatly folded paper out of a pair of pants Joohyun had lent her.

“Oh yeah, I know what this is. You’re not going to be able to find it here thought. This thing is military grade machinery Joohyun.” Byul said as she looked at the detailed drawing of the machine part.

“Sorry Seulgi, we can’t get it for you.” Joohyun said getting an understanding look from Seulgi.

“Wow I didn’t say that Joohyun!” Byul said with a grin.”I said you won’t be able to find it here. In a junkyard.” She pointed out before continuing. “I have a friend, who is a mechanic for the Seoul air forces, I’m sure she can get us one from the mainland. Although, you’re going to have to wait till Monday to get it.”

“It’s ok Byul,I’m sure Seulgi can wait. Thank you.” Joohyun said with a small bow.

“Thank you.” Seulgi imitated making Byul chuckle.

“She’s adjusting well.” Yongsun said with a huff as she crossed her arms.”When she first met me she almost broke my arm.” She added with a whine.

“She thought you were breaking in Yongsun!” Joohyun defended before turning to Seulgi who in confusion simply gave her a smile. “Anyways what are you guys doing here? And more importantly why is the devil’s child with you?” The high-school student asked curiously.

“Wow uncalled for Joohyun! I’m hurt.” Yeri dramatically places a hand on her forehead and turns on her heel to fall back into Seulgi’s arms. She knew physical contact with the tall girl pushed all of Joohyun’s buttons so why wouldn’t Yeri annoy the ever living hell out of the girl.

“Well I need some new parts for a few classic cars I’m rebuilding and junkyard’s are like heaven for old parts. As for Yeri, I figured you were busy enough taking care of your friend so I called her instead.” Byul explained with a smile.

“Hey! Seulgi they’re being so mean to me!” Yeri whined in the aforementioned girls arms making Seulgi chuckle and pat her head.

“Ok enough! Off her now!” Joohyun said pulling Yeri off of Seulgi and taking the tall girls hand in her own. “We’ll help you look for parts that way!” She huffed as she pulled the confused girl behind her into some random direction.

“You don’t even know what you’re looking for.” Byul sighed while Yeri and Yongsun laughed behind her.

After the group had helped Byul find most of the parts that she was looking for they had parted ways. The sun was setting as Seulgi and Joohyun accompanied Yeri home, with Gomdori scaring the living hell out of Yeri’s parents as it waved goodbye, before turning to head to their own.

“You seemed to have a lot of fun today Seulgi.” Joohyun said receiving a smile from Seulgi who nodded and hummed a response. While they were there Yeri had trailed the two girls, and while Joohyun found her endless talking annoying Seulgi found it as a way to learn the language. She wanted to properly express her thoughts to Joohyun. She wanted to thank her and be able to talk back to her whenever she talked about her day. While Seulgi’s species were very quick learners without any form of dictionary the blue eyed girl couldn’t exactly study the language. “And you’re starting to understand more and more, before you know it I’m going to end up asking you to stop talking.” Joohyun teased, and truthfully Seulgi had no idea what she said, but she smiled anyways because she just loved how beautiful Joohyun looked when she smiled.

The duo made it home by evening, both too tired to eat so they just ended up falling sleep when their bodies made contact with the soft mattress of Joohyun’s bed. They slept peacefully until the sound of glass breaking woke Joohyun up. She checked her bed, only to find Seulgi absent and quickly got up. Joohyun got out of bed and made her way to the stairs where she saw a tall figure. It was too dark to see but she could clearly see luminescent blue eyes that reminded her of Seulgi’s but they felt somehow off.

“Seulgi?” She called quietly, her voice betraying her, as she made her way down the stairs. The figure seemingly didn’t hear her only walking ahead, glass cracking under its feet. Joohyun made her way down and quickly turned to see a tall girl with bright blue eyes mere inches away from her who grabbed her by the throat and lifted her up.

“Irene, it’s been a long time.” The girl said with a scowl on her features and hatred in her eyes. Joohyun choked and grabbed the girl’s hand, kicking her feet to no avail. was being clenched harder every minute and her vision was becoming blurry. She didn’t want to die like this.

“Seulgi…”She wheezed out as the world was slowly becoming dark.

Seulgi.