Goodbye

Normality

“Joohyun? Honey dinner is ready; do you want to come eat?” Joohyun’s grandmother called from the other side of a locked white wooden door, her voice soft and caring. The old woman understood why her granddaughter had stormed into the house, crying as she ran into her room, when Seulgi had entered a few minutes later with a devastated look, tears barely being held back.

“I’m not hungry…” Joohyun’s trembling voice broke the old woman’s heart but she knew when to leave her granddaughter be.

“Alright honey, I’ll leave you a tray at your door for when you want to eat ok?” She said in an understanding manner walking downstairs to see Seulgi standing at the porch and her husband patting her back. The old woman placed a hand on the old man’s shoulder and he nodded leaving his stop to his wife. The old woman looked out into the red poppy filled field and to the Exolysk that glowed brightly in the night sky.

“I’m leaving tomorrow.” Seulgi’s voice was quiet as she spoke and the old woman hummed before giving a response.

“Running away from her will only make things harder for you two.” The old woman said and Seulgi sighed closing her eyes. “I remember when you first brought her to us, she was so small. She clung to you like no tomorrow.” The old woman reminisced with a small smile.

“Weren’t you angry back then?” Seulgi asked, her voice showing her uncertainty.

“I was livid dear, anyone would be. I’m still not over Irene’s death, she was my daughter, but I understand why you did what you did. I would’ve done the same thing in your position.” The old woman said and Seulgi swallowed the lump in to keep her tears at bay.

“I have to leave tomorrow.” Seulgi said after a while, again receiving a hum from the old woman. “I have to. For both our sakes, I should leave.” The girl added only receiving a small sigh from the old woman.

“Do what you feel is right Seulgi, however running away from your problems won’t solve them.” With that the old woman left Seulgi on the porch, her knees giving out the moment she was alone as she sobbed into her hands.

The next morning Seulgi found herself in front of Joohyun’s door, hand hovering over the wood, before it fell by the alien’s side. She let her head rest against the door, making so sound as to not disturb the girl inside, and peeked down to see the tray of food left untouched. She sighed and closed her eyes again before standing straight and making her way downstairs with the tray in hand, setting it on the table where the old couple sat. She shook her head and grabbed the small bag that Joohyun’s grandmother had prepared for her as the two seniors stood and accompanied the girl to the door.

“Goodbye Seulgi.” The old man said hugging Seulgi lightly which Seulgi reciprocated.

“Be safe!” The old woman added as she too hugged the tall girl, tighter than her husband.

“Goodbye. Thank you for your hospitality.” Seulgi said to the couple and gave a small sad smile.

The rest of the morning went by in a blur. Seulgi made her way to the Exolysk quietly, walking behind Yeri, Sooyoung and Wendy as they chatted in front of her. She made sure to photograph this scene in her memory. Wendy hugged Seulgi first, much to the taller girl’s surprise, and Seulgi gladly reciprocated it. Sooyoung was next hugging the girl tightly and wishing her good luck. Yeri was last, hugging Seulgi with tears in her eyes and telling her to keep in touch. Seulgi took a deep breath, waved her friends goodbye and turned around walking into the pink light produced by the Exolysk.

The three girls all let out a small breath they had been holding, Wendy hugging a crying Yeri while Sooyoung hugged a saddened Wendy. After a while they had made their way to Joohyun’s house, entering the solemn house with frowns on their faces. Sooyoung had decided to stay downstairs with the old couple, knowing she was probably the last person Joohyun wanted to see right now. Wendy had given her an apologetic smile before following Yeri up the stairs and knocking on Joohyun’s door.

“Leave me alone.” From inside the room Joohyun’s muffled voice could be heart followed by a small hick of her breath.

“Joohyun its Wendy; can I come in?” The young woman asked with a tentative voice.

“No…please I just want to be left alone.” Joohyun said, sounding so small that it made Wendy’s and Yeri’s hearts clench.

“Are you sure Joohyun? We just want to talk.” Wendy tried again but when no answer came after a few minutes they resigned to their fate. “Alright, if you need anything just text me ok?” She said and hoped that it went through to the girl.

Joohyun hid her face in her pillow as tears stained her face, having cried all night and now, all morning. She turned around in her unmade bed, finding only darkness as she had turned off all the lights in the room as well as closed the blinds. A sigh escaped her lips as her brain worked a thousand miles a minute. She thought of her mother, Sooyoung had mistook her for her mother, did she look  a lot like her? What kind of person was she? Was she remorseful for what she did? Or did she think it was justified? Why did she just let Seulgi kill her? Seulgi… Seulgi had killed her mother. Seulgi had taken her mother from her…

“Why do I still think you’re a good person?! Why do I even care?! You killed my mother! You’re a monster! I hate you!” Joohyun screamed into her room, her face forming a scowl.“So why?! Why do I miss you?! Why the hell do I still love you?!” Joohyun yelled out into the darkness of her room letting a sigh escape her lips.

“Why do I want you to hug me and tell me it’s going to be ok?!”