M.I.A

Normality

“What’s wrong Hyun? You’ve been out of it all week.” Wendy’s voice brought Joohyun back to reality, breaking her eyes away from the Exolysk that stood proud and taunting. The two friends were currently sitting on Joohyun’s floor, books spread out in a lazy fashion and two glasses of orange juice sat beside each girl, one almost empty the other hardly touched.

“Huh?” Joohyun’s voice sounded hollow prompting Wendy to reach out and place her hand on top of her best friends.

“You miss her.” It wasn’t as much of a question as it was a statement. Seulgi had gone M.I.A for the last week, and after what Joohyun had told her had happened the night she had left Wendy couldn’t lie and say she wasn’t happy the other girl left. While she knew it deeply affected Joohyun she couldn’t bare remembering that Joohyun had nearly been killed that night. “It’ll be okay Joohyun.” The girl had said with a small encouraging smile. She truly hoped it would. Truth be told, if she could, Wendy would erase all memories of Seulgi’s existence from Joohyun’s memory. Wendy always hated seeing her friend sad, that was a given, but she really couldn’t stand seeing her so… heartbroken. Joohyun gave a numb nod, her eyes going back to the imposing black slab in the distance. Wendy frowned and stood up, sliding the curtains of Joohyun’s window closed with a huff of angry breath. “You need to stop dwelling in the past Hyun. It’s not healthy.” She said standing in front of her friend with a scowl on her face.

“I don’t need your spiel about what’s healthy or not Wendy.” Joohyun said with an aggravated tone. “I need to see Seulgi.” She added as she stood and went to her friend, invading her space with such bravado it made the girl lower her gaze. “Now are you going to help me sneak out to find her or not?”

“How do you know she hasn’t just up and left Joohyun?” Wendy asked with a frown making Joohyun sigh and let out a small, sad smile.

“Because I feel it in my heart. She’s still here. Please Wan, I miss her so much.” Joohyun said with pleading eyes that made Wendy give in, nodding her approval.

“Fine, but if we get caught I’m so blaming you for it.” She said with a smile that lifted the mood somewhat.

“I wouldn’t have it any other way Wan.”

The two girls continued with their scheme, eating dinner with Joohyun’s grandparent’s, whom had spent the most of the week trying to keep their granddaughter away from anything revolving Seulgi, before bidding their goodbyes to each-other. Joohyun had gone to bed, without much word to her grandparents, trying her hardest not to show her excitement at finally having the opportunity to possibly see Seulgi again. Soon enough, just as the clock struck two am, Joohyun heard the click of her bedroom window open. Wendy stood there with a small smile and backpack on and motioned for Joohyun to follow her out. Joohyun quickly grabbed her own backpack before stopping dead on her tracks when she heard her door crack open to reveal her grandmother. Joohyun looked at her with wide, terrified eyes but the old woman simply smiled and closed the door again. The two teenagers let out a sigh of relief before climbing down the metal ladder that led to Joohyun’s window.

After they had gone a safe distance from Joohyun’s home they took their flashlights out of their backpacks as aid to the dim and few in between streetlights of the small island and started walking towards the Exolysk, in hopes that Seulgi would be there working on Gomdori, after all Byul had told them that Seulgi had showed up with a strange girl to pick up the part she had promised the blue eyed girl. Joohyun ran ahead of Wendy when they reached the pulsating slab only to sigh when she found the area empty, devoid of Gomdori and more importantly devoid of Seulgi.

“Hey, it’s ok. Of course we wouldn’t find her in the first place we looked.”Wendy had said as she placed a reassuring had over Joohyun’s back.”Why don’t you try and remember what other place Seulgi would know of. She mostly spent her time glued to your side; I doubt she knows a lot of places to hid in this island.” The girl rationalized and her friend nodded before practically jolting when realization hit her.

“The cave! At the beach! The one I told you I found her in! She had to be there!” Joohyun said her eyes alight with hope.

“Let’s go then!” Wendy had replied with a smile and the two had set off again, making quick work of the fifty minute walk to the cave. When the duo reached the entrance however Joohyun seemed to hesitate. Wendy had smiled her signature encouraging smile and gave the teenage girl a thumbs up, making her take a deep breath and release it smiling as she went inside. The cave was dark save the light of the flashlights and much to Joohyun’s glee a soft glow of orange coming from deeper into the cave. She practically ran inside, a worried Wendy following after a beat only to bump into Joohyun’s stiff body.

“What’s wrong Hyun?” She asked looking down at her friend, who seemed to be staring in front of her in fear. Wendy followed her gaze to a tall girl with short hair and bright blue eyes, who’s lips were pursed and eyebrows furrowed.

“What are you doing here Irene?” She asked with a cold tone, not a direct warning, but a warning nonetheless. Joohyun didn’t reply, her voice caught in .

“Who are you? Where is Seulgi?” Wendy spoke with threatening tone, standing in front of her friend protectively.

“You human’s sure are amusing.” The girl said letting a chuckle escape at the attempt of intimidation. “You’re cute so I guess I’ll let you live.” She added before running a hand through her hair. “My name is Sooyoung. I guess you could consider me Seulgi’s best friend, although with that fiasco at Irene’s house that’s become a bit…messy.” Sooyoung finished off with a smirk and a shrug.

“You’re the one that attacked my friend!” Wendy’s voice sounded out in the cave making Joohyun wince and Sooyoung raise an eyebrow.

“Aren’t you getting a bit ahead of yourself human?” The tall girl said with a frown on her features.

“How dare you?! What did she ever do to you?” The shorter girl exclaimed as she stomped to the girl with a huffing and puffing scowl.

“What the-“ Sooyoung’s voice was cut short when Seulgi’s one was heard, making her look from the shorter girl that was all up in her face to her friend.

“Joohyun…” Seulgi had barely finished saying the girls name before she was engulfed in a hug which she gladly reciprocated. “Joohyun I missed you so much! How did you find me?! Why are you here? Did something happen? Are you ok?” Seulgi’s honey like voice melted Joohyun’s heart as she practically sobbed tears of joy into the crook of Seulgi’s neck.

“I missed you so much Seulgi!”