Confession

Normality

“Joohyun!” Seulgi called with a bright smile on her face as she waved to the young woman who stared at her wide eyed before swiftly turning around and grabbing Wendy’s arm to pull her behind herself.

“Wow Wendy I think I forgot my phone in class! Let’s go look for it! Right now! In that direction!” Joohyun nervously rapid fired words leaving Wendy confused enough to follow her a few steps before stopping.

“Joohyun that girl was calling for you! You can’t just leave like that! It’s rude!” Her friend said with a sigh and pulled her arm away.

“I know Wendy I just-“ Joohyun started only to be caught off by Seulgi pushing through the crowd around her and running towards her.

“Joohyun!” She smiled her signature crescent eyed smile which Joohyun always found adorable and stopped in front of the shorter girl, offering her a note.

“Wait! Is this some sort of confession?” Wendy asked with wide eyes before laughing nervously. “Well I wouldn’t want to intrude! I’ll see you later Hyun!” The girl said with a small bow to Seulgi and her heel jogging away.

“No! Wait! Wan it’s not like tha-Oh man!” Joohyun groaned and turned to a still smiling Seulgi. “What are you doing here Seulgi?” She asked as she made a confused look and pointed down at the ground.

“Ah! Grandma!” She said with a grin and offered the piece of paper again which Joohyun took from her.

Your grandfather and I had to leave for the mainland to take care of some things for The Exolysk court. We’ll be back in a few days. Take care of yourself and Seulgi. Love grandma.

“Seulgi you could’ve waited for me at home and shown this to me. How am I going to explain you to Wendy?” Joohyun said before shaking her head with a sigh and looking up to find a somewhat confused Seulgi looking at her with a cocked head. Hadn’t she done well by delivering this note like Joohyun’s grandma had asked her to? “Oh come on how can I be frustrated when you act so cute!” The young girl asked with a whine and a smile which made Seulgi smile in turn. “Come on, let’s go home!” She said receiving a nod from Seulgi once she heard the word home.

The duo walked out of the school gates and started their way towards Joohyuns house without many words exchanged between them. Joohyun found the silence a comfort compared to the loud classrooms of her school. Just as she was about to say something to the degree of ‘I like this.’ to Seulgi she found the girl had stopped a few steps behind her. Joohyun’s eyes followed her line of vision past the field of blood red poppies to the Exolysk that stood tall in the distance.

“I know it really ruins the scenery.” Joohyun said with a sigh as she made her way to the girl’s side.”It’s so ugly.” She added with a dry chuckle which was cut short when she felt a hand sneak around her own and squeeze tightly. The action made Joohyun look up at Seulgi who was stood tense her eyes focused on the giant black slab. She looked…afraid. “Hey Seulgi what’s wrong?” She asked but got no response, not even a glance from the girl in question. “Seulgi It’s ok! Hey! Look at me.” Joohyun tried again gently pulling her hand away and placing them on the taller girl’s cheeks turning Seulgi’s head to look at her. “It’s fine! That thing won’t hurt you.” She said with a soft smile and warm, reassuring eyes which drew Seulgi’s own uncertain blue eyes to them. Somehow Joohyun’s eyes were comforting to the taller girl and they made her stomach flutter. She smiled then and pulled away from Joohyun, not sending a second glance at the imposing Exolysk, and took the girl’s hand again earning a blush from the young woman. Seulgi chuckled and started making her way towards Joohyun’s house once again.

When the duo reached the two story building they left their shoes at the door and entered the house. After setting a new pair of clothes out for Seulgi to change in, which she did, she changed herself taking both of their discarded clothes and putting them in the laundry machine, gingerly going through the steps much to Seulgi’s delight. Joohyun looked like she enjoyed putting clothes in the strange cubical machine and it made Seulgi happy to see her so relaxed around her. Maybe they could become friends some day. Once Joohyun had finished up the laundry she made her way towards the kitchen starting up dinner for the two, Seulgi following behind like a lost puppy. Joohyun chuckled at the sigh and turned around to face the taller girl, who was smiling eagerly.

“Seulgi you know you can do whatever you want around here! You don’t have to follow me around all day!” Joohyun said with a laugh which made Seulgi blush slightly at the genuine nature of it. The high-school senior gave another chuckle before returning to her cooking. She knew Seulgi understood nothing from what she said but she could see it in her eyes that Seulgi enjoyed spending time around her so she didn’t try and shoo her away. Besides she needed a taste tester for her food anyways. “Seulgi here, taste this!” Joohyun said offering a wooden spoon to Seulgi who gladly took it in and grinned at the taste. “Good right?” She asked and Seulgi nodded looking down at the food Joohyun was cooking like an eager puppy. “You can have more at dinner.” Joohyun said and somehow Seulgi understood, or at least Joohyun thought she did because she gave a small pout which made the high-schooler laugh. Once she was done with that dish she put some meat to boil and walked to the kitchen table setting up a few books and other school materials. “Seulgi I’m going to need you to do something else other than stare at me.” Joohyun said looking up from her books. “I have a hard time concentrating with people around. Why don’t you go outside and play?” She suggested gesturing at the backyard door. Seulgi seemingly understood her and smiled giving a soft nod and scurrying off.

Joohyun continued her studying, occasionally standing up and checking on the food that was still cooking before heading back to her table. The high-schooler sighed for the tens time that night as she stared at the calculust problem in front of her. For the life of her she couldn’t solve it. She exclaimed in frustration which made Seulgi run to the door leading to the backyard looking around panicked. She gave a curious look when all she saw is Joohyun glaring at the book at the table as she entered from the kitchen and sighed.

“Seulgi what are you doing? Why are you so dirty?” The blue eyed girl understood nothing from that except for the questioning look on Joohyun’s face as she pointed at her wet and muddy clothes. She grinned then and ran up to Joohyun who groaned at the mess the girl left behind before taking her hand and pulling her towards the backyard. There went her home slippers. Not like she cared with the bright and proud smile on Seulgi’s face making her stomach do back flips. “Seulgi what’s got you so excited?” The shorter girl asked before her eyes landed on the robot that she had forgotten about for a while, except it was spotless, no rust, no sand, not even any scratches. Joohyun looked at Seulgi in amazement. “Did you do this in the three hours I was studying?!” Joohyun asked curiously as Seulgi just smiled at the beautiful girl’s proud smile. “Good job Seulgi!”

“Joohyun.” Seulgi said with a smile as she made her way towards the younger woman and took her hand once again pulling her closer to the humming robot and placing it on its cold metal surface. The robot hummed and its orange lights glowed a bit brighter making Seulgi laugh lightly. Joohyun simply looked up in awe at the metal giant with wide eyes and mouth, only to be broken out of her awestruck state by the loud grumble of Seulgi’s stomach.

“I’m guessing all that work made you hungry?” Joohyun said with a laugh as she gestures to her own stomach to which Seulgi replied with a blush. “Let’s go eat, dinner is ready.” Joohyun said with a smile, laughing when Seulgi practically sprinted towards the backdoor. Joohyun did the last steps of the cooking and plating as Seulgi cleared the table and put Joohyun’s books and school materials back inside her bag. The duo ate peacefully, with Joohyun telling Seulgi about her day at school and Seulgi simply enjoying the smiles and laughter that came from Joohyun.

After dinner the duo had found themselves in a tense staring match, with Irene crossing her arms defiantly and Seulgi mimicking the position in front of her with a pout on her face. Seulgi was experiencing stubborn Joohyun for the first time and she had to say she wasn’t really enjoying it. The blue eyed girl had come to realize that trying to convince Joohyun of something when she wanted the opposite was truly impossible.

“You take the bed Seulgi! You’re the guest!” Joohyun said with a huff only receiving a shake of Seulgi’s head as a response. “You worked hard all day cleaning Gomdori up! Take the bed.” Joohyun tried again only for Seulgi to once again decline. “Seulgi take the bed!” She said in a tone that made Seulgi realize that she had already lost this battle. She solemnly nodded and climbed into bed with a pout. Joohyun had a triumphant smirk on her face as she tucked the taller girl in. Why anyone would be happy to have to sleep on the floor was beyond Seulgi. “Good night Seulgi.” Joohyun said as she tucked herself into the comforter on the floor.

The duo slept peacefully; well only after Seulgi stopped whining when Joohyun had relented and held the hand that was hanging from the bed. Joohyun never knew Seulgi would be the one afraid of the dark and it made the high-school student chuckle in amusement. That was until a loud bold of lightning came down and thunder sounded through the night. Joohyun jolted awake, a terrified look on her face as she looked around to find Seulgi already offering up the bed, her arm holding the comforter up. Despite wanting to refuse the offer the second thunder cackle made Joohyun bolt into the bed. Seulgi had smiled softly as she draped the comforter over the young woman and hugged her tightly, making Joohyun hide in her chest.

That was the best sleep Joohyun had had in a long while.