Suspicious

Normality

“Joohyun!” Seulgi’s voice excitedly calling for her had pulled Joohyun’s eyes away from glaring at the blonde girl next to her to excited bright blue eyes. “Hello!” She greeted waving her hand with a crescent eyed smile. Without missing a beat Seulgi jumped down from her current position sitting atop Gomdori, specifically on its shoulder, almost giving Joohyun a heart attack and ran towards her hugging her when she reached the black haired girl.

“Seulgi, hey.” Joohyun said with a grin as she hugged the girl back.

“Uh Seulgi….” Joohyun heard a scared voice coming from behind them and looked over to see the young girl, who was previously sitting next to Seulgi, looking at the two with a nervous smile. Joohyun smirked with a raised eyebrow and Seulgi tilted her head before chuckling in amusement. After a beat the robot lifted its hand up, offering it like a platform for the girl to stand on and lowering it down to the ground. “Thank you Seulgi.” The girl said as she made her way to the girls.

“You’re welcome.” She said with a smile making Joohyun raise her eyebrow. Since when had Seulgi updated her vocabulary? Just as she was about to mention it Wendy spoke up.

“Are we just going to ignore the fact that Yeri and your ‘friend’ were sitting on top of a giant robot?” Joohyun turned around to see Wendy, crouching behind a boulder sticking up from the side of the Exolysk staring at the robot with eyes wide open.

“Oh relax Wan! It’s not that big of a deal!” The dirty blonde, Yeri, a sixteen year old part time student part time alien hunter waved her hand nonchalantly. “I mean look at how cute she is! How can you be scared of her?” Yeri said with a smirk as she hugged the tall girls arm.

“Ok that’s enough!” Joohyun huffed with furrowed brows and pulled Seulgi at her side getting a confused look from the girl which was quickly replaced with a happy grin when Joohyun took her hand in her own. “What are you doing here Yeri? Don’t you have detention for skipping or something this week?” The older girl said, her tone not hiding how annoyed she was, making Yeri smirk again and raise her eyebrow. Joohyun was giving her so much material to work with it was almost too easy.

“Yeah but do you really expect me not to check out shiny objects from the sky falling down next to some weird slab? What kind of Alien hunter would I be if I let something as trivial as detention stop me?!” Yeri said with a proud look on her face. “Anyways you need to relax Joohyun, It’s not like I was trying to steal your girl or whatever! I was actually teaching her some Korean. You should be thinking me Hyun!” The younger girl added with a smug look on her face. “You’ll be surprised at how quickly aliens, which you said didn’t exist by the way you were so wrong, learn different languages.”

“Aliens…” The trio heard a mutter from the, until then, quiet Wendy who had a hand on her forehead. “Why are you two acting so casually about this?!” Suddenly Wendy burst out making Seulgi wince and Joohyun and Yeri look at her incredulously. Wendy almost never raised her voice so it always shocked the two girls when she did. “If she’s really an alien who knows what she’s here for! What if she’s here to hurt us huh? What if she’s here as a scout and she’s checking if it’s easy to colonize our planet or something?!” Wendys exclaimed nervously pacing around and sneaking terrified glances to Seulgi and Gomdori. The former sighed and let a friendly smile form on her features making her way towards Wendy. Joohyun pursed her lips in fear that the two might somehow come to hate each-other. She didn’t want to choose between the two.

“Friend?” Seulgi said as she offered a hand for the other woman to shake. Wendy looked at her hand and pursed her lips.

“How do I know you’re not just trying to gain my trust just to backstab me later?” The young woman asked gaining a tilt of Seulgi’s head and a curious look on her face.

“Jeez Wendy all I taught her was basic greetings, she’s not fluent in Korean or anything.” Yeri deadpan making Joohyun chuckle at her side.

“Shut up…” Wendy mumbled before looking at the other girl with untrusting eyes. Seulgi seemed to get the message and lowered her hand with a disappointed look on her face. She quickly hid her expression giving a small smile before turning on her heel and walking towards Gomdori, Yeri hot on her trail. Joohyun gave Seulgi a reassuring smile before turning to her friend. She didn’t blame Wendy for feeling the way she felt. Joohyun knew that Seulgi was harmless but she also recognized that Yeri and her reaction to the alien girl wasn’t something that would be considered normal.

“Why are you so distrusting of her Wendy? Usually you’re a bit too trusting of people.” Joohyun asked her friend, careful to keep her voice from sounding accusatory.

“Yeah Joohyun, people, not aliens. What if this is just some big ploy?” Wendy said gesturing to Seulgi who was pulling one of the cables out of Gomdori with Yeri filming it all on her phone with excited squeals. “I mean look at her, she’s so strong she could probably break someone in half and not even break a sweat. Not to mention the giant robot she has hooked up to that Exolysk. What if they’re made up of the same material, out military could barely handle that thing if it was just made of iron let alone if it was able to regenerate.” The girls concerns made sense in Joohyun’s head; she knew that if Seulgi wanted to she could probably end the world. Still the girl looked like she didn’t have an evil bone in her body. She was actually a bit too innocent; Joohyun just needed Wendy to see that.

“I know it’s weird that I’m so casual about this whole thing but I just feel so at ease around her. My gut tells me she’s a good person Wan. Please, just trust me on this one.” Joohyun said with a small smile receiving a pair of pursed lips from Wendy.

“She’s a good person because she’s outnumbered Joohyun.” Wendy said before releasing a sigh.”But if you’re certain about this then fine, I can tolerate her.” The girl continued making Joohyun smile.

“Thank Wan.” She said hugging her friend before pulling away when the ground beneath her shook. Joohyun snapped her head back to see Gomdori standing tall, it’s height reaching to one third of the Exolysk’s , with Seulgi smiling at Yeri who was jumping up and down in excitement.

“Jesus ing Christ Joohyun! How dare you hide this away from me?!” Yeri exclaimed gesturing at the giant robot next to her. Joohyun laughed and shook her head in amusement.