Half-truths

Normality

“Seulgi you can speak! I mean you could always speak but you can speak Korean!” Joohyun said in excitement making Seulgi smile. The later hadn’t let go of Joohyun since the two had met, holding her soft hand with her own slightly calloused one.

“Yeah, Sooyoung helped with that.” Seulgi said with a small purse of her lips when she saw Joohyun tense before pulling her hand away.

“What happened that night Seulgi? Why did you just…leave like that? I was so worried; it physically hurt to be apart from you Seulgi. My heart felt so heavy and I’ve had a migraine all week.” Joohyun explained looking up at understanding eyes. “Why did you leave Seulgi?” The girl said in a voice so soft it physically hurt Seulgi to hear.

“I’m sorry Joohyun.” Seulgi said softly reaching to hold Joohyun’s hand. The duo was seated on top of Gomdori, who sat on the soft sand of the beach outside the cave. They had asked their friends to stay back at the cave and not meddle; well Joohyun had asked Seulgi had ordered. “It’s a long story, one I don’t want to tell you. Not yet. But trust me, I wouldn’t have left without a very strong reason.” Seulgi had continued rubbing Joohyun’s knuckles with her thumb.

“Why can’t you tell me? Do you not trust me?” Joohyun replied as she intertwined their fingers together. “All week my grandparents have been avoiding answering my questions. Please Seulgi, I’m tired of running around in circles. Just tell me the truth.” Joohyun said making Seulgi look down to avoid her gaze.

“I’m sorry Joohyun, I’m just not ready yet. Please let me enjoy this a bit longer. I don’t want to lose you, so just respect that when due time comes I will tell you everything.” Seulgi said after a deep breath and Joohyun sighed. She knew it wasn’t fair to just come in, guns blazing so to speak, and demand answers from the girl who had just seen her after a week away from her. Joohyun knew that she was probably going through a lot as well, but curiosity still ate her from the inside.

“If not the whole truth then please, tell me why I was in so much pain when you were gone.” Joohyun requested receiving a hum from Seulgi. The first time Seulgi had gone missing Joohyun had felt the same tug at her heart and migraine, although much fainter, and it had gone away when Seulgi had come back. She guessed that it was just her being worried but she was also worried when she had first found Seulgi and she had been fine that time.

“It’s because we are linked Joohyun.” Seulgi said as if that would explain everything. At the confusion in Joohyun’s eyes she continued. “Our species lives for a very long time Joohyun, we rarely get sick and our bodies regenerate cells are a very fast pace. Keeping a… companion… for such a long time at your side is hard so I don’t know if it was as a form of sustaining a healthy population but our kind develops a kind of emotional and physical link with each other.” Seulgi waited for Joohyun to nod before continuing. “Do you remember the first time you saw Gomdori? How despite wanting to give into fear and run away your body urged you forward to touch him?” Joohyun mutely nodded again and Seulgi smiled. “That’s because we’re linked together Joohyun.”

“How would Gomdori know that it was me? Plus you haven’t answered why I was in so much pain.” Joohyun said, her words flowing quickly, which made Seulgi chuckle and pat her head.

“I’m getting there, relax.” The blue eyed girl said with a smile before continuing. “The reason Gomdori knew who you were is because his conscience is an extension of mine. He’s an A.I sure but his ‘heart’ so to speak, his morals, come from my heart and my morals.” Seulgi took a small breath. “Just as I care for you Gomdori does as well. That’s why he woke me up, because while your pain started just recently I’ve been feeling it for over fifty human years now.” At Joohyun’s confused expression Seulgi continued. “When we’re away from each-other our bodies start to react, kind of like trying to pull us together.”

“Yeah but I didn’t have any pain when I went to school and you were at home.” Joohyun said with furrowed brows as her brain worked to process everything.

“Yeah but that’s because you knew exactly where I was, you knew I was fine. I didn’t. That’s why I can to your school the first time that you went, because you left when I was asleep I was practically losing my mind when I woke up to find your bed empty.” Seulgi said with a chuckle making Joohyun frown.

“I’m sorry Seulgi.” Joohyun said with an apologetic look on her face.

“It’s ok Joohyun, it’s not like you knew.” Seulgi said with such a bright, loving smile it made Joohyun return it despite the guilt. The two sat there, eyes on each-other as the sun began its journey up into the sky.

“Are you two done getting lost in each-other’s eyes because I need take Chick to the Exolysk to recharge?” Sooyoung’s voice brought the pair back to reality, making them jump and blush at the words.

“Shut up Sooyoung!” Seulgi said as she stood up and offered her hand, helping Joohyun stand and with Gomdori’s helping getting back to the ground. “What do you want?” Seulgi asked with a raised brow.

“Your girlfriend’s friend has been grilling me for half an hour please just let me leave already.” Sooyoung said, making Joohyun look at her confused as to why she had started talking in her native language before Seulgi smirked.

“Jeez you could just ask her yourself Sooyoung.” Seulgi replied with a devilish smile as Wendy made her way outside. “Wendy, my friend here is a bit shy so she wanted me to ask you to join her as she goes to recharge her beloved robot which very expensive interior she definitely doesn’t want ripped.”

“Oh I’ll join her alright.” Wendy said with a huff and grabbed Sooyoung’s wrist, pulling her behind herself towards the black robot in front of them, sitting next to Gomdori.

“I hate you Seulgi!” Sooyoung called out receiving a laugh from Seulgi who turned to Joohyun and smiled.

“Do you remember the part your friend Byul got for me?” Seulgi asked and Joohyun nodded. “Want to see what it does?”