Communication

Normality

To say Joohyun was panicking, as she frantically paced around her home, would be an understatement. The girl was losing her mind. Thankfully her grandparents had been too preoccupied with helping the girl their granddaughter had brought home to ask her questions but she knew after her grandfather was done checking the girl for any injuries and giving her a serum to help with whatever abnormalities her body might have that he would start asking questions. Who wouldn’t ask questions when your granddaughter comes knocking frantically at your front door, an unknown and unconscious woman weighing down on her back?! Joohyun continued pacing around with worry. How was she even going to explain herself?! “Oh hey you know the hideout at the beach you pretend to not know about? Yeah well I slipped when it was raining and fell in a cave! Wait it doesn’t end there folks! I found some weird robot ufo thing that puked out a girl whom I dragged out of a tiny I found in a cave and carried all the way here. Oh and I forgot my bike at the beach by the way!”

“That’s quite the story honey.” Joohyun jumped as she turned around to come face to face with her grandmother whom simply sat down on a small armchair and took the cup of tea she had left there when her young granddaughter had come back home.

“Would you believe me if I told you it’s the truth?” Joohyun breathed out a sigh as she slumped on the couch that awaited her, sinking into the comforting embrace of the soft cushions..

“No dear.” Her grandmother replied with a small amused chuckle making Joohyun pout and let out a whine.

“Stop teasing grandma! I’m freaking out over here!”

“Relax honey, if you’re not ready to tell us your grandfather and I won’t pressure you.” The kind smile on her grandmother’s features calmed Joohyun down, albeit only slightly.

“Tell grandpa that! The second her comes through that door he’s going to start asking questions! I just know it!” Just as her grandmother was about to reply with reassuring words Joohyun’s grandfather walked through the door with a moist towelette in his hands cleaning something from his hands. Joohyun squinted and soon her eyebrows shot up. “Grandpa is that blood?! Oh my god! Is that girl ok?!”

“She’s fine Joohyun.” Her grandfather reassured as he threw away the towelette before sitting down on the armchair next to his wives. “She had a gash on her leg I had to stitch up.” He added as he leaned back on the backrest of the armchair. “She won’t be able to walk for a while, not without any help at least. It was hell to convince her of that though, it looked like she didn’t understand a word I was saying.” The old man said with a slight chuckle.

“Wait what?! Is she awake?!” Joohyun shot up from her seated position looking at her grandfather with wide eyes.

“She was, I had to sedate her though, I thought she’d get herself hurt trying to get out of bed.” He said after a nod.

“Are you sure you sedated her?” Joohyun asks with furrowed brows making her grandmother chucke.

“Do you doubt my capabilities as a doctor child? I’ll have you know that even if I’m old-“

“Grandpa she’s walking down the stairs.” Joohyun said deadpan despite the shock that she felt when she saw that there was indeed a stitched up gash going down the side of her leg. The sight made Joohyun wince and her grandfather look at the girl wide eyed.

“What are you doing up child? I told you to not put any weight on that leg!” The old man said as he stood up and went closer to the younger woman with a frown on his face. At the confused look on the young woman’s face he scoffed. “Do you not know Korean or something?”

“I don’t think whether she knows any Korean matters more than how the she’s standing up with that kind of wound grandpa!” Joohyun said raising her voice slightly before hearing a tsk from her grandmother.

“What have I told you about cursing in this house?” She reprimanded with a frown. “And both of you lower your voices! You’re probably scaring the poor girl!” The old woman huffed making both her husband and granddaughter hang their heads in shame and nod.

“Yes ma’am!” They said in unison their voices low.

“Good. Now come on little lady…”She said walking towards the woman and standing in front of her. She looked up and smiled. “Let’s get some food into you.” The caring grandmother said making eating motions getting a smile from the young woman in front of her. The old woman led her to the kitchen table she had prepared ahead of time while her husband took care of the girls medical needs. She smiled as the young woman brought a bit of rice in cautiously before she began practically devouring her food. “My my, aren’t you quite the eater!” The older woman said with a chuckle as she refilled the girl’s rice bowl as she ate the meat in front of her.

“What are you doing giving her so much food after the state Joohyun found her in?!” The old man’s voice reprimanded as he entered the kitchen with a frown showing his wrinkles. At his wife’s raised brow he continued. “She said she found her passed out at the beach and brought her back here so we could help her not make her throw up.”

“Is that what happened?” The old woman’s voice sounded amused as she served the young woman her third helping of rice. “Don’t worry honey our guest is a growing girl! She needs to ear properly!”

“Guest?” The old woman looked up at the shocked voice that came from the door where Joohyun stood with a bewildered look on her face.

“Well of course! I’m not letting her leave our home until her leg is healed. You heard your grandfather, she shouldn’t be putting weight on her leg!” She said with a tone that neither her husband nor granddaughter could debate.

“But hone-“ Joohyun’s grandfather tried, taking the bullet for his granddaughter only to be immediately shut down by a glare.

“You wouldn’t let a poor girl go out into the world injured and alone would you honey?! The poor girl doesn’t even know any Korean, she’ll get lost or worse! What if someone takes advantage of her? Would you be able to sleep at night dear?” The old woman replied making the man turn to his granddaughter in defeat who simply patted him on his back. “Now Joohyun honey why don’t you get your room ready and I’ll send the girl up to you once she’s done eating.” The young woman could do nothing but nod at the request (order) and trudge up the stairs to her room.

How was her grandmother so willing to just let this unknown, possibly dangerous, woman into their home?! How was Joohyun going to even be able to sleep knowing there was a stranger in her room?! Joohyuns mind began to wander as she opened the door and entered her room. Her room was on the second floor of their house, medium sized, painted with a window on the wall looking out to a field of poppies that led your eyes to the black and pink Exolysk that only seemed small in comparison to the sky above, colored a beautiful mix of blues and yellows as the sun began replacing its sister in the sky. As Joohyun looked at the clock on her wall she groaned, the little clock hand taunting her as it hovered above the number five. Well at least she wouldn’t have to worry about sleeping anymore. Just as she laid down on her bed, one of the few things that decorated her room safe for the bookshelf that took up one wall and her desk, the wooden door to her room opened revealing the young woman. She entered without any acknowledgement or permission from Joohyun making the young woman roll her eyes.

“Rude.” She mumbled to herself making the girl swiftly turn her head back. Joohyun blushed thinking she had been heard but once she saw the confused look on the cat eyed girl’s face she visibly relaxed. The young girl made her way to stand at the foot of Joohyun’s bed, eyeing her as if she was studying every feature on the young girls head. Joohyun simply did the same, finally getting a good look at the girl she had brought home. Her eyes wandered up the strange woman’s slim but well built body to brown locks that reached her chest that framed a beautiful face that held eyes that resembled a cat’s or maybe a fox’s. Something that surprised Joohyun was how she hadn’t noticed the striking and practically glowing blue eyes that the young woman had. Once she made eye contact with the girl she averted her eyes, a small embarrassed blush on her features.

“Uh...” She began with a nervous smile on her features. “You’re going to be sleeping over tonight and I still don’t know your name…” Joohyun sighed at the tilted head she received as a reply. “What is your name?”Joohyun asked nervously only to receive another confused look. “I know my English isn’t good but it can’t be that bad!” She said with a huff receiving a sheepish smile in return.”Let’s try this again. Name?” Joohyun said in hopes the woman understood. “Oh come on everyone knows the word name!” She whined with a pout receiving a small giggle from the girl in front of her, which Joohyun won’t deny was adorable. Come to think of it the girl was very attractive. “Now’s not the time for that!” Joohyun whined at her thoughts before sighing and sitting up on the bed. “Ok let’s try this…”She said pointing at herself. ”Joohyun!” She said before pointing at the girl. This finally got something across to the other girl and Joohyun could swear she saw a light bulb appear above her head.

“Seulgi!” The girl said with a grin as if she had solved the hardest puzzle in the world making Joohyun chuckle lightly. At least she now knew how to communicate with the girl.

After the mess that was clothing Seulgi, the other girl practically stripped in front of her when Joohyun had offered her clothes, the duo had gone to bed. Being the gracious guest that she was Joohyun had let Seulgi sleep in her bed, despite the frown and constant shaking of the cat eyed girls head. Soon enough the duo had fallen asleep; Joohyun had decided to simply meditate for two hours until it was time to get ready for school but had fallen asleep the moment she had closed her eyes. When Joohyun had heard a yell coming from inside her room she had practically bolted up frantically looking around her room only to find a pink haired girl face down on the hardwood floor with Seulgi holding her arm behind her back, a dangerous look on her face.

“Yongsun?”