Almost

Normality

“How was school?” Seulgi asked with a smile as she took Joohyun’s hand in her own, the later gladly accepting the gesture. The two were currently making their way towards Joohyun’s home as the high school student had asked Seulgi to try and reconcile with her grandparents. With the adorable pout that had followed Seulgi’s initial hesitation the alien had given in and nodded which earned her a tight hug from Joohyun.

“Boring, especially without Wendy there. I called her to ask her where she was but she didn’t answer, just sent me a text saying she wasn’t feeling well.” Joohyun explained with a worried look on her face. “I wanted to go see her after school but it’s a bit too late to do that now.” The girl added showing Seulgi her phone, which read 7:45 pm, with her free hand. Something that caught Seulgi’s attention was the lock screen, a picture of her sleeping.

“Why do you have a picture of me sleeping on your phone you weirdo.” Seulgi teased making Joohyun quickly retract her hand and close her phone blushing furiously.

“Shut up Seulgi!” Joohyun said hitting the taller girl lightly making her double down on her laughter. “Gosh you’re so mean! I liked you better when you couldn’t talk!”

“Are you sure about that?” Seulgi asked wrapping her arms around the shorter girl from her side whispering in her ear. “How could I tell you how much I love you if I couldn’t speak?” She asked with a small smirk.

“There are plenty of ways Seulgi.” Joohyun had said as she turned her head, their faces mere inches apart, their noses brushing each-others cheeks and their eyes glued to one another.

“Like what?” Seulgi had whispered out, almost getting lost in the wind if not for the fact that all of Joohyun’s senses were focused on Seulgi at that moment.

“Like this.” Joohyun said and inched closer to Seulgi, their breaths on each-other’s lips when the hushed voice of a woman caught their attention.

“I knew it! Cousins my ! Yeri so needs to see this!” From the bushes at the other side of the road Joohyun and Seulgi were standing in you could see a small patch of pink, followed by another of orange, blonde and black.

“Yong this feels a bit weird. Why are we spying on teenage girls again?” Another whispered voice sounded which made Joohyun roll her eyes and let out a groan making Seulgi giggle.

“This isn’t spying Byul, its recon.” Yongsun whispered again making Seulgi and Joohyun raise their eyebrow.

“Is that what you’re going to say in court Yongsun?” Another girl’s voice sounded receiving a huff from Yongsun and a barely contained chuckle from Byul.

“I don’t want to get arrested because of your weird obsession with high school girls Yongsun.” Another voice said.

“Not you two Wheein!” Yongsun whined. “I thought you were on my side! Angel line remember?!”

“You know we heard all of that right?” Joohyun called out in an annoyed tone, making the four voices fall into silence.

“It was Yongsun’s fault!” A girl with long black hair said as she stood from the bushes quickly.

“Yeah! Hyejin and I are innocent!” Another girl with short blonde hair said as she followed suit after the previous girl, Hyejin, with Byul following almost immediately pointing at Yongsun.

“Sorry baby I love you but I don’t want to go to jail.” Byul said and Yongsun stood and crossed her arms as her girlfriend and two best friends slowly backed away with nervous smiles on their faces before full on running away from Seulgi and Joohyun.

“How dare you betray me like this Byul!” Yongsun called after her girlfriend before turning to see Joohyun glaring at them with eyes that made Yongsuns knees shake as she backed away, a smile much like the three previous girls in her features before she turned and sprinted away. “Seulrene will sail Joohyun! We’re cheering for you!” Yongsun called as the four girls disappeared around a corner making Joohyun shake her head in embarrassment.

“Sorry they’re like this Seulgi.” Joohyun said turning to a smiling Seulgi.

“Don’t worry about it Joohyun. I think you’re lucky to have them. The friends I had back home were all so on edge around me it was maddening. Sooyoung was the only one who used to talk to me like a normal person.” Seulgi said with a small smile on her features.

“Seulgi, what is Sooyoung to you?” Joohyun asked with pursed lips, a look Seulgi couldn’t identify in her eyes.

“She’s my best friend.” Seulgi replied honestly.”Why do you ask?” She inquired making Joohyun sigh and turn away.

“Nothing, let’s get going. I don’t want my grandparents to get worried.” Joohyun replied as she began walking ahead.

“Hey…” Seulgi spoke softly, taking Joohyun’s hand in her own to stop her and turn her to face her. “If you’re afraid she’ll hurt you again, I promise you she won’t. I don’t expect you to forgive her so easily, she hurt you pretty bad, but please at least tell me if you’re feeling uneasy around her.” Seulgi said with a small smile and kissed the top of Joohyun’s head. Joohyun gave a small nod and Seulgi smiled a reassuring smile, following without any protest as Joohyun led the two to her grandparent’s home.

“Hey grandma!” Joohyun called with a smile as she entered her house, Seulgi following behind her, to see the smiling old lady setting the table. Joohyun saw there were four bowls set up and she raised an eyebrow. “Are we expecting guests?” Joohyun asked and her grandmother giggled lightly.

“I’d hardly call Seulgi a guest at this point, honey.” Her grandmother replied making Joohyun look at her with a surprised expression.

“How did you know she was coming over?” Joohyun asked but the reply came from her grandfather not her grandmother.

“I saw you two walking home together.” The old man said as he entered the room, sitting at the head of the dining table. “Come sit, I have important issues to discuss with you Seulgi.” Joohyun’s grandfather said as Seulgi nodded mutedly and sat at one side of the table, Joohyun sitting right next to her and her grandmother sitting at the other side of the head of the table. The situation was tense, with Joohyun’s grandmother having finished putting food in all their plates, Joohyun looking at Seulgi with a small encouraging smile, Seulgi looking at Joohyun’s grandfather with a nervous look and the old man looking at Seulgi with a stern one. Feeling pity for Seulgi Joohyun decided to break the tense situation.

“Grandpa you’re scaring Seu-“

“ You better be serious about my granddaughter because if you break her heart I’ll break your legs.” The old man said making Seulgi choke on the water she had tried to drink to ease her nerves. Joohyun rubbed her hand on Seulgi’s back as the old woman at the head of the table chuckled lightly.

“Grandpa!” Joohyun whined but the old man simply gave a small smile.