Monster

Normality

Trigger warning before you read through : if death is an iffy subject for you you might not want to read the last couple of chapters 


“Joohyun! What are you doing here?!” Seulgi asked as she detached herself from Yeri, giving Joohyun a hug to welcome her home.

“This is my room Seulgi!” Joohyun said with a small chuckle making Seulgi roll her eyes playfully. “Since the final exams are coming up we seniors were let out early.” The human girl explained, receiving a nod of understanding from Seulgi, before turning her attention to Yeri. “What are you doing here Yeri? And why are your eyes all puffy? Were you crying? Seulgi if you hurt my baby I’m going to ban you from existence!” Joohyun’s rapid fire questions, and reaction to the thought that Seulgi would have made the younger girl cry, made Yeri chuckle.

“Relax Joohyun! Seulgi was trying to comfort me, and she did a really good job too!” Yeri said with a smile and Seulgi chuckled.

“Yeah Hyun! Don’t I deserve a reward?” Seulgi sing-songed and hugged Joohyun making kissy faces at her. Yeri groaned and cringed at the display of affection coming from the two girls which made the couple laugh. The trio decided to have some fun, after Joohyun scolded Yeri for skipping class, and made their way towards the busy parts of the small island town. Joohyun held Seulgi’s hand as she dragged her through the somewhat busy streets of Red Field island while Yeri led the two, going from store to store making Joohyun buy her things through the very clever use of her cuteness. Soon enough the sun was about to set and the trio were ready to head back to their homes.

“What do you mean you’ve never tried ice cream?” Joohyun asked with what seemed to be a shocked expression on her face.

“Joohyun she’s literally from another planet! How is she supposed to know what ice cream even is?” Yeri deadpan making Joohyun send her a glare which quickly made the teenager shut up. Seulgi laughed lightly before letting a blush form on her features when once again Joohyun took her hand in her own.

“We’re getting you that ice cream!” Joohyun’s determined face gave no room for argument and the trio headed towards the ice cream shop that Joohyun favored above all others. Yeri was the first to order, never missing an opportunity to leech off of Joohyun’s endless credit, picking out strawberry, with Joohyun ordering green tea and Seulgi picking out chocolate. The trio walked their way home as they enjoyed their ice cream and Seulgi’s very positive reaction to the new taste by practically which made Joohyun blush and Yeri cackle loudly, and soon enough they were waving goodbye to a smiling Yeri.

“It seems we’ve made a habit of these evening walks Hyun.” Seulgi said with a chuckle as she held the aforementioned girls hand.

“Hey Seulgi, what were you and Yeri talking about earlier?” Joohyun wouldn’t lie and say she hadn’t changed the subject earlier that day, figuring whatever Seulgi was keeping from her would be easier to say out loud if the taller girl didn’t have an audience. Seulgi’s body suddenly getting tense didn’t escape the slightly shorter girl. “Seulgi?” She pried and the girl turned to look at Joohyun who had a worried look in her eyes. Those beautiful bright eyes that Seulgi had fallen in love with since the first time they connected with her own. Seulgi took a deep breath. She had really enjoyed the time she had spent with Joohyun, and even if she didn’t want to lose her now that their time together is so short, it wouldn’t be fair to keep the truth from her.

Seulgi quietly took Joohyun’s hand again and led her down to the field of red poppies at the side of the road that led to Joohyun’s house. She sat down and let her arms rest on her knees, looking up at the night sky that had just started to get littered with the soft glow of stars far far away. Joohyun followed her actions and sat beside her looking up with a small relaxed sigh.

“When I was younger my mom died.” Seulgi said, her voice a bit distant, and Joohyun turned to see Seulgi hadn’t torn her eyes away from the sky. Just as Joohyun made to speak Seulgi spoke first. “She was killed.” She said and closed her eyes as if to stop whatever swell of emotions she was feeling right then. “My mother was away at the time, my people sustain themselves by taking over other planets you see, so I was alone with my mom.” Joohyun reached to rub Seulgi’s back but the taller girl shook her head. “You see my mother is the empress of our people so she has a lot of enemies. A lot of dangerous enemies.” Seulgi turned to look at Joohyun for the first time since she began talking. “Even with all the walls my mother built around the palace, even with all the guards we had, they still managed to sneak in. Do you know why?” She asked and Joohyun shook her head. “I let them in.” Seulgi’s voice cracked and Joohyun made to hug her but once again Seulgi pushed her away. “I was a dumb rebellious teenager. I hated my mother; I hated how hell-bent she was on extending the reach of our people despite how many times my mom and I begged her to stop her ways.”

“Seulgi…” Joohyun said softly noticing how Seulgi’s body was trembling in anger.

“So I joined the rebellion, I lied and told them I was a servant at the palace and that I could let them in unsuspected. The believed me. Of course they did, my mother kept me locked up in that damned palace! Our people didn’t even know what the heiress to the empire looked like!” Seulgi’s voice was getting higher and higher. “I thought they were going to steal some documents, maybe destroy a couple of things but they didn’t. They went straight to my mom’s room. They broke the door down and pinned her to the bed. Then they cut her head off.” Seulgi whispered the words towards the end but Joohyun heard them loud and clear. “I was shell shocked, I couldn’t move. Then, ironically, the one person who cut off my mom’s head took my hand and led me out of the palace and into her robot. To think that’s how my first meeting with Gomdori went.” Seulgi chuckled bitterly at the memory. “She took us to the rebel base but it was already being overrun by the palace guards…”

“Stay here!” The tall woman with jet black hair and big eyes told a teenage Seulgi, who could do nothing but nod numbly. Seulgi begged her tears to halt their advance on her eyes but with the yelling and screams of people, some cut in half by the sound of rifle fire, she could do nothing but hold her head and sob. She couldn’t believe it. Seulgi had killed her own mother. It was all her fault. Anger bubbled up in . No… no they had told her they were going to steal a bunch of plans and trash the empress’s office, not kill her wife. Seulgi looked up when she heard the door of the cockpit slide closed just in time for a small person to be placed on her lap. “Sorry Gomdori here doesn’t really fit a lot of people.” The woman had said as she sat behind Seulgi, with the teenager between her legs, and before long the trio was up in the air heading towards the vast space that awaited them. “Gomdori, hyper speed.” The woman ordered in a foreign language Seulgi couldn’t decipher but after a brief moment of being pushed back Seulgi figured out what she had told the robot. “Ah it’s going to take a while till we reach my home planet so since we’re going to spend a bit of time together why don’t I introduce us?” The woman’s calm, even chipper voice agitated Seulgi. She knew to keep it inside though, so she just sent a look at the small person in front of her with a scowl. “I’m Irene and that’s my daughter Joohyun!” The woman said with a grin.

“Seulgi...” Joohyun’s eyes were wide in shock and for good reason. It couldn’t have been her Seulgi was talking about could it? The look in Seulgi’s eyes only made her believe it was.

“What’s your name kiddo?” The woman, Irene, asked and Seulgi pursed her lips.

“Seulgi.” Her clipped reply made Irene sigh.

“I’m sorry we didn’t tell you what our plan was. You seemed so young we were afraid you’d back out.” The woman explained and Seulgi nodded, glaring at the small girl in her hands. The small girl, Joohyun, was reaching for her with a grin on her face, oblivious to the meaning behind Seulgi’s murderous glare.

“Whatever, the empress was hurt wasn’t she? That’s all that matters right?” Seulgi said as Joohyun giggled when she managed to grab the teenager’s fingers, playing with them. When she felt a nod from behind her she continued. “How did you join the rebellion?” She asked and Irene let out a hum.

“I caught a few rebel soldiers sabotaging an Exolysk on my home planet. They didn’t want any witnesses so they took me with them. I fell in love with one of them and one thing led to another. I didn’t want my planet to end up like all the others had.” Irene explained.

“And which planet is that?” Seulgi asked and Irene smiled pointing at the blue planet in front of them.

“Earth.”

“You knew me! You knew me since I was a baby! Why didn’t you say anything? You knew my mother! What was she like? Did the empire’s soldiers go after you? Is that why she died?” Joohyun asked in disbelief however her questions were met by silence that deafened Joohyun. “Seulgi?”

“Ah! It feels so good to be back home!” Irene said as she stretched out her limbs at the field they had walked to, next to an Exolysk, after they had hid Gomdori away inside of a cave. Seulgi stood with a clenched jaw, Joohyun holding one hand with her small one and a small gun on the other. “See that house over there?” Irene said pointing to a two story house. “That’s where my parents live. Take Joohyun there and tell them I sent you. My mother will take care of Joohyun.” She said and turned around with a smile on her face despite the gun pointed right at her. “It’s ok Seulgi, I took your mother away. It’s only fair you take hers away as well.”

“You killed my mom?!” Joohyun’s loud voice echoed through the night and Seulgi closed her eyes, giving a mute nod. “How could you?! How could you Seulgi? She was my mother!” The girl yelled in anger. “Right in front of me?! Really?! I was just a baby!” Joohyun yelled and stood up a deep set scowl on her face. “I hate you Seulgi! I never want to see you again!” The young woman’s harsh words broke Seulgi’s heart but she did nothing. She said nothing. Despite all the mental preparation she had done her soul still burned to ashes at the words.

“Get out of my sight you monster!”