Gone

Normality

“So are you going to explain why tall, dork and handsome over there tried to break my arm or are we just going to gloss over that?”

“Really Yongsun? Dork is the best insult you could come up with?” Joohyun spoke currently standing in front of her bed, where a very distressed and angry girl whose face had become a shade of pink that rivaled even her hair was sat rubbing her arm, with Seulgi standing behind her quietly.

“Joohyun need I remind you her knee was practically stabbing my back?” Yongsun, a 21 year old young adult that worked at a children’s daycare asked with a roll of her eyes.

“It’s not her fault! I’ve told you a hundred times to use the door. Who wouldn’t freak out if someone climbed through their window?!” Joohyun reprimanded with furrowed brows.

“I’ve been sneaking into your room through your window since we were kids Hyun and you never reacted like that! Not even the first time!” The pink haired girl defended her actions by throwing her arms in the air before wincing and lowering them again.

“Listen, Seulgi isn’t from around here…” Joohyun said with a sigh.

“Yeah I could tell when it took you ten minutes to explain what a friend is.” Yongsun replied with a roll of her eyes. “Who is she exactly?” The young adult asked with a raised eyebrow.

“She’s a cousin…” At the skeptical look Yongsun gave her Joohyun added, somewhat unsurely, more to her lie.”…Distant cousin?”

“Joohyun you’re a terrible liar.” Yongsun said with a smirk making the younger girl groan.

“What am I supposed to say? That I found her inside of some sort of green goop inside of UFO inside of a cave by the beach?!” Joohyun exclaimed in a frustrated manner throwing her hands in the air making Seulgi jump a little behind her. The reaction reminded the young girl of the taller girls presence which made her smile apologetically at her. Seulgi replied with her own soft smile.

“So girlfriend it is then.” Yongsun said with a teasing laugh.

“No! No! No! No! No!” Joohyun said waving her hands around in front of herself with a blush on her face. “Not my girlfriend!”

“Sure okay kiddo!” Yongsun said with a roll of her eyes. “Anyways the reason I came here, besides wanting to get my arm torn off of course, was to tell you that Wendy is going to kill you for ditching school today and leaving her hanging on that project you two had.” The young adult said making Joohyun’s eyes widen,

“Wait what?!” She exclaimed turning swiftly to look at the clock on the wall. Her eyes became wider, if it was even humanly possible, when she saw the hands of the clock pointing at the number six. Had Joohyun really slept through the whole day?! But it had only felt like minutes! “Ah! Yongsun you have to hide me!”

“And face Wendy’s wrath?” The taller woman replied with a laugh. “No thank you!” She added with arms raised in front of her in a surrender position.

“That’s it! I’m dead! Wendy is going to kill me! That project was worth half our grade for that class!“ Joohyun said dramatically placing her hand over her temple and falling to her knees. “Goodbye cruel world!”

“Joohyun no! Stay strong! You can do this!” Yongsun added dramatically falling by her younger friends side, looking as if she was about to cry, before both women erupted into laughter.

Seulgi, who had watched the whole scene, felt nothing but confusion.

“Thanks for telling me about it Yongsun, I’ll make sure to steal one of my grandma’s cooking recipes and give it to her as a peace offering.” Joohyun said with a proud grin.

“I’d like to see you try honey.” The voice of her grandmother startled Joohyun who turned around quickly and blushed, giving a sheepish smile. “Now head on over downstairs, Seungwan is waiting for you.”

“I should get going too!” Yongsun said as she made her way to the window. “I have a date with Byul and I don’t want to be late! I’ll wear something nice to your funeral Hyun! Bye!” With that Yongsun climbed down the ladder perched on the side of the house.

“Use the door-and she’s gone.” Jongsun deadpan before sighing and turning around to Seulgi who was happily listening to her grandmother talk. Once she approaches the duo stops talking and Seulgi turns to her with a soft smile and a small blush on her face as her grandmother turns and leaves the room after a small chuckle. Why would the young woman be blushing? She didn’t seem to understand any Korean so there’s no way her grandmother said anything. “Ah Seulgi…” Joohyun began shaking her head to get rid of any useless thoughts. “Um…Wendy isn’t as childi-I mean carefree as Yongsun so she might ask a lot of questions about you and I still don’t know how to explain you to her so um…” Joohyun looked up to see Seulgi looking down at her with a tilted head and confusion in her eyes despite the smile she had on her features. Truth be told the only things she had understood was her name and Yongsun’s name. “Right you have no idea what I’m saying um…Please stay here!” She said pointing down at her floor and giving a thumb up. “Don’t go out of my room.” She said gesturing towards the door and shaking her head as she made an ex with her two pointer fingers. At Seulgi’s nod of understanding she sighed and shuffled to the door, not wanting to make Wendy any angrier by making her wait or risking her climbing up to her room and finding Seulgi there.

“Took you long enough, I was just about to climb up there and get you myself.” Wendy, an 18 year old girl with plum colored hair huffed receiving a nervous laugh.

“Why come up there when I would come down here?! Haha not like I could escape or anything you’re in my house!” Joohyun said her tone somewhat shaky despite her best attempts to sound casual and reassuring.

“Ok? Maybe it was better that you skipped today, you’re acting sort of weird.” The young woman said as she sat down across from Joohyun at the formers kitchen table, a plate of freshly baked cookies in front of them.

“Me?! Weird?! Not at all!” Joohyun said with another nervous laugh.

“Sure…” Wendy said as she narrowed her eyes at the other girl and took a bite of a cookie she picked up.”Anyways you’re lucky our history teacher likes us otherwise you would be dead right now.” Wendy said with a huff. At Joohyuns happy yet confused look Wendy continued. “She said that it wouldn’t be fair to grade me if you weren’t present so she let me off the hook.” That received a relieved sigh from Joohyun. “Anyways why were you absent today?” And she was tense again.

“Oh um…my period.” Joohyun said trying to sound nonchalantly and thankfully Wendy bought it, or pretended to buy it. Either way Joohyun didn’t care because that meant less lying to her best friend.

The two continued to chat normally after that, talking about what Joohyun had missed out that day and revising how they would do their presentation and before she knew it it was already dinner time. Despite insisting that Wendy stay over for dinner the young woman had declined the Bae’s, offering to come another time and left the house.

“Joohyun be a dear and bring Seulgi down, she must be lonely up in your room all by herself.” Joohyun’s grandmother had asked as the young woman who was setting up the table with her grandfather.

“Alright!” She said with a smile walking up the stairs to her room.

Her grandparents smiled at each-other as they finished the table setup. They sat down waiting for their granddaughter when they heard quick footsteps followed by Joohyun looking at them with a panicked look on her face through the doorway to the kitchen.

“Honey what’s wrong?” Her grandparent’s asked in unison.

“She’s gone…” Joohyun’s voice came as a breathless whisper.

“What did you say honey?” Her grandmother tried again.

“Seulgi’s gone!”