Worse News

Normality

Rain poured down the calm gravel roads of Red Field Island, as spring slowly came to an end. The droplets of water hit against the glass of Joohyun’s window, waking her up from her depression induced slumber. The girl huffed in annoyance, the tip tap of the water droplets on the window only serving to make her migraine worse, and threw her pillow at the blinds that covered the window and blocked her out of the outside world. How long had she spent locked up in her dark room? Joohyun tossed and her bed before giving up in finding comfort and resting on her back, arm slung over her face. She knew she’ never feel comfortable in her bed again, not after spending so many nights cuddled against Seulgi’s warm body. Joohyun her side and took the phone that sat on the floor, bringing it up to face her and turning the device on, immediately being greeted by Seulgi’s grinning face. A small melancholic smile formed on Joohyun’s features at the picture she had taken when Seulgi had first tried ice cream. That day was both the best and worst day of her life.

“Where are you Seulgi?” Joohyun breathed out, shutting the screen off once she saw the date. It had been a week since Seulgi had told her about what she had done. Joohyun wouldn’t lie and say she didn’t regret some things she had said to Seulgi. After she had cried until she couldn’t cry no more, and vented all her frustrations out, Joohyun had gotten to thinking rationally about the situation. She wanted to desperately believe that her mother was an innocent bystander caught up in things beyond her control but she couldn’t. She knew her mother’s hands were tainted in blood, maybe Irene did too. Joohyun turned her phone on again and sighed. “Just get over here and apologize you stubborn bear!” The girl spoke to the image on her phone with a huff, desperately wishing that she hadn’t destroyed what she had with Seulgi. “It hurts a lot so please come back…” Joohyun breathed out, her heart clenching in agony. Joohyun sighed again, something she had found herself doing a lot, and unlocked her phone, going to her contacts and tapping on the call button.

“Joohyun?” Wendy’s voice came from the device, uncertain and cautious.

“Hey…” Joohyun said with a small sigh as she closed her eyes, putting the phone on speaker on her chest and placing her hands over her closed eyes.

“Hey, what’s up Hyun?” Wendy said, trying to sound casual despite Joohyun being able to tell that she was really trying to be careful with her words. The dark haired girl appreciated it though; normality was something she really craved right now.

“Can you come over? I have a terrible migraine and I need my best friend to nurse me back to health!” Joohyun said with a small tease to her voice which made Wendy sigh softly, thankful her friend was starting to open up again.

“I’ll be right there Hyun!” Wendy said with a smile and hung up, turning to Sooyoung who gave her a curious look. “I’m going to Joohyun’s place, she said she has a migraine and wants some company.” The girl said and the alien beside her pursed her lips. “Do you think Seulgi told her about them being linked?” She asked Sooyoung who shrugged.

“Maybe, I don’t remember her telling me she did. I hope so; I’d hate to add more bad news for her to deal with.” The tall girl said, standing from Wendy’s bed and wrapping her arms around her waist giving her girlfriend a small peck on the lips. “You better get going baby.” Sooyoung said with a smile. Wendy chuckled and gave her a few more pecks before heading out.

Soon enough Wendy found herself knocking on Joohyun’s door, a smile forming on her face when the aforementioned girl let her into her room. Joohyun smiled at Wendy and hugged her tightly, which the girl reciprocated and closed the door behind her.

“Sorry it’s a bit of a mess in here.” Joohyun mumbled an embarrassed blush on her face. The room truly was uncharacteristically messy; the bed was hastily made and clothes were shoved into one corner as a desperate attempt at a clean up.

“It’s fine Hyun, it’s not like it bothers me.” Wendy said and motioned Joohyun to the bed. “Aren’t you supposed to be sick? Go back to bed!” The girl huffed and pushed Joohyun to sit on the bed.

“It’s fine Wan, really! When Seulgi decides to stop being stubborn and come back then the headache will go away.” Joohyun replied with a small smile that made Wendy look at her curiously.

“What do you mean? Is she coming back to Earth?” Wendy asked with somewhat furrowed brows.

“What do I mean? What do you mean?” Joohyun’s eyebrows furrowed as her head started pounding once again. “What do you mean ‘Is she coming back to Earth?’?! Where is she Wendy?!” Joohyun stood quickly, her heart beating erratically, her vision getting blurry.

“Joohyun, Seulgi left a week ago. She went back to her planet.” Wendy spoke carefully and Joohyun’s heart broke, her head swirled and soon enough she was engulfed by darkness as she passed out.

Joohyun groaned as she woke up, her body in terrible pain and her eyes burning from the onslaught of light from the sun glaring down at her from the sky. She her side after a few attempts, her body barely reacting to the commands she gave it, and crawled her way to a bit of shadow to shield herself from the heat. Joohyun looked up and saw the Exolysk towering over her in an imposing manner shielding her from the sun, how ironic. She sighed and in a blink of an eye the tower was gone replaced by Seulgi looking down at her with a cold expression.

“Seulgi?” She called out, however her voice never came out. Joohyun’s eyes frantically looked around to see a small girl holding Seulgi’s hand and looking at her with the same cold expression. “Seulgi what’s happening? Come on please answer me! I’m scared!” Joohyun called out, and after another blink found herself with two hands around her neck and Seulgi staring at her in terror. Just as the life was being strangled out of her she was awoken by Seulgi’s scream.

“No!”

“Seulgi!