I Won’t Hurt You

The Curse of the Phoenix Beads
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Seven years had passed and Jungkook grew wiser handling the country’s affairs as the youngest King of Goguryeo. His aunt constantly advised him for the past five years to expand his bloodline however he was the least interested. He tried to meet with women that were considered a match for him, but anytime he looked at them, he felt nothing.

The sun began to set and Jungkook slipped into the dark cloak Doctor Chul held in his hand. He then handed his King a folded lantern with calligraphy beautifully drawn down the side.

“Must you do this again?” Doctor Chul asked almost begging his King not to leave. When Jungkook nodded Doctor Chul stepped back and bowed abiding to Jungkook’s command.

 

While releasing the lantern by the black lake, Jungkook smiled to himself. The full moon was high in the sky and lighting up the dark lake. Around him, children laughed and families chattered as the lanterns soared higher and higher. It was the only event for the past seven years that allowed him to be human. In the palace he was a ruler, a man who made decisions, someone with military powers, a King with goals to achieve for his people, but here; here by the lake, he wasn’t a King, he was a man who had no rules, he was Jungkook.

Soon the villagers, one by one, disappeared back into the town leaving Jungkook alone. The night was now quiet and tranquil with a warm and light gentle breeze passing by every now and then. The night crawlers were chirping a song and fireflies danced as they danced close to the ground. When Jungkook heard rustling in the bushes behind him he turned to see a few yards away a woman and two little boys coming out from a trail in the woods.

“Aunty…I want to hold the rod today, Chan got to hold it last time,” a little boy about 5 years old begged while gripping tightly to the woman’s left hand.

“But I didn’t even get a fish last time,” Chan argued back while he held onto her other hand. Chan was the older brother to the little Minjun who he shared an aunt with.

“Tsk tsk. Look at you two, we haven’t even made it to the river yet and you’re already bickering.”

When they finally noticed Jungkook standing there, they stopped walking, halting their mission. The little boys scrambled behind their Aunt, shielding themselves away from danger while she greeted Jungkook with a small bow and a smile.

Jungkook looked at the little boys than to their Aunt. Her hair was long and silky. Her eyes large and her lips thin. Her thin face was accompanied by a nice nose bridge and high cheek bones.  She wore a purple silk dress lined white collars that brushed the ground beneath her. Jungkook thought for a moment then asked, “What is all the commotion?”

“I’m sorry to have bothered you your Highness…”

Jungkook didn’t realize the young woman knew who he was, “Oh! Please don’t mind me; I was just on my way back…” Jungkook hesitated.

“To the palace?” the young woman finished for him and Jungkook gave an agreeing forced smile in return.

 

Although Jungkook originally planned to leave, he ended up making two fishing rods for Chan and Minjung. The boys fished in the dark by the river bank while Jungkook sat beside the young lady a few yards away.

“Your Highness...what are you doing out this late?” The young woman asked while brushing the palm of her hands across the grass beneath her.

“I’m not sure,” Jungkook re

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter