Is The Grass Green?

The Curse of the Phoenix Beads
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

An arrow flew by your face swiftly and one sliced a piece of your long hair as it fell to the ground. Another arrow pierced Yura’s mother on her back causing her to stand straight from the pain.

“Mom!!!!” you yelled and tried to drag her away as quick as you could but it was hopeless. When she fell, she pulled you down with her. She took your hands into hers while you kneeled and held her in your arms. She looked at you as if she was no longer blind and smiled beautifully. In that moment, although Yura’s mother was a stranger to you, for the first time that word: mom; it meant something.

“Yura…don’t feel bad…my wish was to not die in that cave but on beautiful green grass…next to a large river while holding your hand. Tell me, is the grass green?” She questioned waiting for affirmation.

Even though the grass before you was brown and trampled, you nodded and replied to her agreeing and reassuring her that the grass was as green and beautiful as ever.

After a satisfied but painful smile Yura’s mom continued, “You’ve fulfilled that for me. I love you…and I’m sorry.” You watched her breath shorten, “Your father, your father is Sorcerer Anwon…I couldn’t bring myself to tell you because he once was a good man…if you see him…you must kill him…he wears a burgundy cloak…” she spoke as tears rolled down her pale cheeks that had been kept away from the sun for too long.

Your heart stopped beating…she had just told you to kill Yura’s father. How could her own husband, Yura’s father, be so cruel?

“Anwon?” You repeated and she closed her eyes. The warm grip in her hands died and you found yourself still holding her hand up, fighting the pull from gravity, unwilling to let her go.

“Mom…? You can’t die…you can’t leave me…” You had no idea why but tears filled your eyes and all the memories of Grandma Soyi came flooding back into your mind. How many people were you going to see die before you could do anything for them? You were supposed to save Yura’s mother for her but now you’ve have failed her too.

 

Without letting go of her hand, you looked behind you in anger. Lines of men stood across the river with those exact same uniforms that were worn by the dead bodies in your home. The ones in the forefront were poised and ready, each with a loaded bow that was aimed directly at you. You glanced one last look at Yura’s mom. She was now inert, no soul, no heartbeat, no life but an empty body.

“I will find Anwon…and I will kill him.” You stated sternly. No, you didn’t say that out of anger. It was a sworn pledge, a promise to her now resting soul. You let go of her hand and fixed them onto her stomach. You couldn’t remember when you had grown heartless, so merciless that death didn’t scare you anymore.

The most painful feeling pierced through your back and in response

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter