I Saw The Phoenix

The Curse of the Phoenix Beads
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

When you and Grandmother Soyi reached home she didn’t say a word. You closed the door behind you and wanted to apologize but wasn’t sure what to say. In fact, the whole walk home was silent. When you watched Grandmother Soyi pull out food and set the table your tears began to well up again.

Grandma Soyi looked up and noticed you crying. She smiled and sat down at the table, “Your favorite dish has been waiting for hours now. How long are you going to let it wait?”

You wiped your tears away and sat across from her.

“Did you experience a lot of demons at Mt. JingShen?” Grandma Soyi asked while placing a veggie on your plate. You nodded and continued to wipe your tears. You hadn’t cried this much since you could remember.

“Hurry and eat, you seem to have lost weight. Men don’t like malnourished women. When you starve you hallucinate, you know that.”

You looked at your Grandmother and continued to sob. All you wanted was for her to scold you and scream at you for your mistake. But, she didn’t.  

“You went to Mt. JingShen for the mushrooms to save me?”

You nodded in agreement and sniffled while you tried to stop weeping and placed your hands on the table. Grandmother Soyi sighed and reached over to hold your hand. Her warm grasp made you stare down at her hands. They were scarred, each mark telling a story of its own. The blemishes on her hands and fingers reminded you that she had worked too hard over the years of her life.

“Silly child, I’m ok.”

“Really?” you choked out.

Grandmother Soyi smiled and patted your hand.

“Grandma? Why does King Taemusin come to see you when you’re sick? He’s the medicine-man that comes…” you asked but before you could finish your question you were directed by Grandma Soyi to eat.

 

You haven’t slept next to Grandma Soyi since you were old enough to be an individual but that night you laid in her arms.

“Grandma will tell you a story.” Grandmother Soyi stated and proceeded to her tale. “A long time ago when I was ambitious and curious I found myself at Mt. JingShen too. When I was there I encountered lots and lots of beasts. I was just like you. Nothing stopped me. One day, when a strong fire blazed the mountains many soldiers died. I met King Taemusin there at M

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter