Chapter Twenty Four

Monster
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

A month had gone had gone by since Namjoon had been sentenced and Mimi had only seen him twice due to the institutions regulations.

She thought she would be stronger, but she literally felt like an empty shell without him around. Home wasn’t the same. Sleeping wasn’t the same. At least when she had Maki, she had someone to keep her company but now she is just stuck in a big silent house.

Jin had tried his best to keep her mind off of him by having squad nights with games and drinks, but everyone could tell that a chunk of Mimi was missing and that she wasn’t the same person as before- not matter how hard she tried to convince everyone.

Eventually rumors started around the office amongst the other officers and everyone besides the squad began to question what Mimi and Namjoon’s relationship was considering Mimi’s state.

Life just wasn’t the same. They didn’t know him like she did, they didn’t know what a wonderful person he was on the inside. She never addressed the rumors because no one would understand.

She kept replaying their last visit in her head.

 

“Are you enjoying yourself here?” she spoke to him through the fence. “It’s not bad but it’s very lonely here. Everyone here is worse off than I am and it’s hard to communicate with staff since they’re all afraid of me.” he replied, his fingers skimming the fencing.

“What about the food?” she frowned. “It’s definitely not as good as yours” he smirked. Mimi rested her head against the fence. She could slightly feel his hand brush against her hair. “It’s only 25 years, be thankful it’s not 50” he tried to cheer her up.

She frowned at him. It’s not what she wanted to hear.

“Even if I was to get out sooner. What life do I have out there Mimi? I have no skills, no education, and not to mention an extensive criminal record. I have no life out there nor will anyone will accept me in society. This is where I belong and this is where I should stay”.

“I accept you. Criminal or not, I’ll find you a purpose in society. I’ll find you something, I promise. I’ll help you”.

“You’re hurting my heart again. I have nothing to offer to anyone”.

“Yes you do! Stop thinking like that!” she scrunched her fists.

“What can I offer you Mimi? The only thing I can offer is suffering” he peered into her eyes, dark.

“Happiness, company, friendship- don’t forget about that”.

“Mimi….” his eyes softened.

The guards had come to notify them that their visitation time has ended and that they should say their goodbyes.

“I’ll be back next visitation. Try and find some happiness while you’re here”.

“I’ll wait for you then, beautiful”.

“Until next time, handsome”.


 

She thought for weeks what about she would do to help him and that was what clouded her mind, but more than anything- it seemed like he had let sadness consume him while he was there. She was worried that therapy was not helping him or that the professional was not doing a good enough job.

She rocked in her chair as she stared off into space. A knock on her desk startled her, she looked up at Jungkook. “Noona, do you have the paperwork?” he asked, ready to finish his report. dropped a bit.

“Jungkook, oh my gosh. I completely forgot. I’m so sorry. I’ll get to it right now, okay?” she panicked as she turned her computer on.

“Don’t worry about it Mimi, I’ll do it. Why don’t you just go home since you can’t focus? People are starting to talk” he added, rocking a bit on his feet. She turned in her chair and noticed some of the other officers talking amongst themselves.

Jungkook leaned in closer and whispered, “People are talking negatively about you and Namjoon. It seems like everyone is speculating about your relationship with him. This may end up really bad for you”.

The commander walked out of his office, “Minyoung!” he called. Mimi shot her head up and commander ushered her into his office.

“Good luck” Jungkook whispered as he watched Mimi disappear into the higher ups office before he his feet and went back to sit next to Jin.

“Hi sir”she saluted him before taking a seat in front of his desk. He studied her face. “You look like , Minyoung” he sighed. She tried to give him a reassuring smile.

“Your dark circles tell me otherwise” he replied back, which Mimi had no response for. “Do you miss him that much that you can’t even function?” he muttered, hands resting on his desk.

“So much that I feel like I’m dying” she whispered.

He rubbed his face.

“I have a job for you, Minyoung. It is a good opportunity for you, but I know you won’t like it. You have to go though, unless you want to continue working here.” he grumbled. He knew this wasn’t a good thing to do to her, but it had to be done.

Her eyes beamed into his, “What is it?”

“I’m stationing you in Osaka. You’ll be working with the Osaka police force under the Yakuza crime unit”.

“The Yakuza crime unit??” she gasped. It was an honor for her to be able to work there, to arrest gangsters who were very notorious for their crime around Japan. “But…. why though?”she questioned.

“I think it is a great opportunity for you to get your mind off that criminal. You were a fool to let your heart get in the way and now he has you so shook that you can’t even properly function at work. It’s becoming extremely embarrassing, especially for someone with such a great reputation. I don’t want you to bring anymore shame to our force, do you understand me?”

She was hurt by his words, but she understood where he was coming from. He is just looking after everyone.

“When do I go?” she asked.

“You’ll be on the plane at 7:30 am, tomorrow morning”.




 

12 years had passed.

Mimi was sitting at a well known pub in Osaka that had quite the reputation for Yakuza coming in for drinks. She was keeping an eye out for a certain person in particular. He was a large guy, bald, a scar that went across his nose and cheek, and spider tattoo on his arm.

Mimi made eye contact with another member from her unit who was sitting at one end of the pub and another at the opposite end.

Soon, a flood of people came in. A scary bunch.

Mimi spotted the guy, but she couldn’t be certain it was him unless she was able to see his tattoo which may or may not have been hidden underneath his jacket.

As soon as a waiter went by, Mimi took the alcohol from him and pretended she was the server. She took the alcohol over to the group of men.

“Here you are boys, your regular” she smiled as she started to pass around drinks.

“Who are you? I’ve never seen you before” the man grumbled, looking at her suspiciously. “I am new, but I was instructed to know who everyone was.” she smiled, trying not to give away her spot.

“You’re a cutie, but you’re not Japanese- are you?” he smirked. “No, I’m Korean” she winked, “You could tell?”.

“Yeah, because you sound like a retard when you speak” he laughed. The group of guys began cackling. Mimi laughed too, her hand gripping the glass of beer and splashing the man in the face with it.

The man got up furious, dripping in the gold liquid. “You ing !” he roared, it echoed through the pub- causing some people to leave from freight. She pulled on his sleeve, revealing the tattoo she was looking for before he pushed her away.

“Ah. You’re Keito Jitsukawa. Nice to meet you~” she perked up. “Who the are you?” he spat.

“I’m officer Song. You and your buddies are under arrest for drug smuggling” she announced. Her teammates stormed to her side and more came in from outside the pub. The men tried to fight their way out, but was ultimately taken down without any officer getting injured this time.

They were loaded up into the SWAT van and off to holding cells until they were sentenced. Mimi gave compliments to her teammates: Ryeo and Aki.

“This was so successful. You did a great job boys!” she clapped. “You were the one was did all the work!” Ryeo smiled. “You were so badass. You tossed the beer at them and you weren’t even afraid” Aki spazzed. “How could you not be scared??” Ryeo spazzed back.

“Is it weird to say that I’m no longer scared of people?” she chuckled, scratching her head a bit. “Uh yeah! How though??” Ryeo asked.

“Weren’t you the one who captured that wanted criminal in Korea??” Aki asked, leaning against their car. Mimi nodded, “Yeah that was me”.  “Let’s go out for sushi tonight, to celebrate” Ryeo cheered.

“I’m down!” Aki and Mimi said in unison. “But first, let’s get the reports finished”

The moment Mimi stepped foot into the building, her boss ambushed her.

“Mimi, pack your stuff. You’re going back to Korea” he stated, handing her a box to put all her belongings from her desk in. Mimi blinked, “What? Why? Am I being fired?”.

“No, your general wants you back. He said it’s an emergency. I booked you a flight and you’ll be back in Korea by tomorrow morning”.

“My general? What….. What about my things in my apartment?”

“I will ship everything back to you”.

“That is very nice of you, but why am I suddenly being transferred back?”

“I’m not sure about the reason. He just said that it had to do with your old murderer case.”

“Namjoon?” she gasped, “What happened??”

Her boss shrugged, “I don’t know. I wasn’t told anything besides that you needed to be on a plane by tomorrow morning”.

Mimi was left dumbfounded. She was given no indication by her squad about coming back. No one told her any information regarding Namjoon since she left. Her mind was racing. The only thing she could think about, was that Namjoon was killed by another patient at the institution or that he killed a patient or doctor.

The rest of the day, she spent saying goodbye to the friends she made within the last 12 years of living in Japan. She still went out to eat Sushi with her teammates as a goodbye present and then she spent the rest of it packing to go back home.

 

After a restless night and a three hour plane ride back to Seoul, she touchdowned at Incheon airport.

She grabbed all her luggage and was walking down the terminal when she spotted three familiar faces with signs saying “Welcome back to Korea~” “MOTHER MIMI HAS RETURNED!”.

She let out a huge smile as she ran to her friends and engulfed them in a bear hug. Everyone was so happy to see each other again.

“How does 12 years not change a person?” Jungkook laughed. Mimi rubbed her face, “What do you mean? I look older!”. “No you do not!” Chaerin laughed as well.

“Look who's talking dude! You grew

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter