Chapter Twenty

Monster
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“You don’t have to go. The court will excuse you from it because you’re injured. You should stay here and recover more.” Namjoon stated as he watched Mimi limp around the hospital room trying to get ready for the hearing.

“Of course I have to go. This is something important to me!” She replied back, stern eyes gleaming at Namjoon. He broke his gaze and ran his fingers through his hair. Everything was becoming so surreal and it was making him anxious. He grabbed at the tie around his neck and began to yank it to release the choking feeling he was feeling.

Mimi limped over to his side and pulled on his coat to have him turn around, “Don’t mess with it, you’re just nervous so it feels extra tight. Relax.” she chuckled as she began to loosen the fabric around his neck. He stared down at her while she tried to make sure he looked perfect and presentable for court.

“There you go, handsome” she smiled, scanning him for any imperfections. He turned from her to look outside the window, but mostly to hide the redness in his face. He still wasn’t use to her compliments, but he was starting to feel differently about them.

“Are you feeling shy?” Mimi chuckled at his awkward stance. Namjoon glared at her and she raised her hands in defeat. A sudden knock at the door made them both turn, it was Jin.

“Are you two ready?” he asked, fully suited in his police uniform. Mimi was able to opt out of her uniform and just wear what was semi-formal; enough that it didn’t hurt her injuries but tight enough that it didn’t look like sleepwear.

Mimi sighed, “I guess. I called my mentor and he said he would be there. Everyone else should be there. I’m sure the paparazzi are already scavenging the area, wanting know every detail. Did you get my files from my place?”

Jin nodded as he waved a vanilla folder in his hand. “Good” she breathed.

“Yeah. Cheer up though. Positive attitude equals positive results” he cheered for them. Namjoon bit down onto his bottom lip as his nerves began to wash over him. He felt a warm tug at him hand, Mimi had grabbed onto it and was squeezing it.

“Remember what I said- Just be polite and answer everything. I will do my best. Everyone will try to help you. Stay strong!.” she smiled with her hopeful words of encouragement.

“I will try my best. Thank you!” he muttered.

“Let’s go” Jin muttered, “but of course, protocols” he waved handcuffs in his hand. Namjoon had to be treated like a criminal, he was one after all. If the public and paparazzi saw him walking around so freely, they would raise hell against the police force.

Jin tightened the cuffs around his wrists and pulled him along the hospital corridors where other fellows officers surrounded them as they walked through the hospital and out into the squad cars.

Namjoon stared down at the metal cuffs and Mimi grabbed onto his hand, “You ready?”

“As ready as I will ever be” he practically whispered. “Whatever happens, happens” she tried to cheer him up, but he still frowned.

 

 

The squad car came to a stop and Jin turned in his seat, “We’re here. Don’t talk to the paparazzi, just continue to walk. There’s a lot of protestors here too, they may try to harm you- but we will prevent them from doing so. Good luck in there, Kim Namjoon. Good luck to you too, Minyoung. Do your best!”.

Other police officers exited their cars and surrounded Namjoon’s car. They all began to swarm around him when he stepped out the car and paparazzi began to swarm them with their camera and questions.

“God of Destruction- How does it feel to finally get caught?” “Do you feel any remorse for the victims that you slaughtered?” “How do you think court will go today?”

Camera flashed, news reporters had their camera on their shoulders filming every second of his move, people shouting; rioting the area-wishing for his imprisonment.

His palms grew moist. His head was clouded. He wasn’t use to this. This was all so strange to him. For once, he was pressured. He felt like the victim. He was out of his element and he wasn’t sure how to handle these feelings that were overcoming him.

Mimi wanted to hold his hand, but she couldn’t anymore. It was his time to face reality and she couldn’t use her power to help him out of this. She can’t shelter him from the harsh reality of the world anymore.

The squad made their way into the courtroom and Namjoon was escorted into a locked room until the hearing started. Mimi was wandering through the courtroom; trying to collect all her thoughts before trial started.

“Minyoung”

She turned her head and a smile lit up on her face, “Professor!” she quickly rushed over to an older gentlemans’ side. “I hope you have prepared everything wonderfully today. It’s always exciting to see my students excel in their field of work” he patted her head.

She let out a long breath, “I’m hoping I can help, a bit. There’s not much I can really do for him other than lessen prison sentencing. I’m so nervous Professor! Thank you for coming!” she bowed deeply.

He pet her head once more, “Just do your best Minyoung. I’ve done all I can for you, but you need to fully commit to this investigation. You didn’t study your off in school nor waste all this time with him for nothing” he smiled, radiating that familiar fatherly warmth Mimi once remembered.

She nodded and turned her head when she heard her name. Another officer beckoned her over, stating Namjoon wanted to see her before trial. She parted ways with her professor and went to Namjoon who looked  ill.

“What’s going on? Why do you look like that?” she felt his face. “Can I talk to you alone?” he whispered. She turned her head to the officers, “Everyone please leave for the moment, I need one-on-one counseling with Namjoon right now” she ushered everyone out. Once everyone had left and the door clicked closed behind them, Namjoon practically melted in his chair.

“What’s wrong with you?” she rubbed his shoulder. He was so tense and his head was bum rushed with thoughts. “I don’t think I can do this” he stammered. She exhaled through her nose and pulled up a chair next to him.

“Listen, everything will be tough. They’re going to ask you very personal questions that even you may not be comfortable answering. Think carefully about what you say. I will try my best to interject any harsh questions. I just need you to be truthful. Don’t lie. I believe in you.”

Namjoon grabbed onto her hand and held it tightly. He stared at her with a look that even she couldn’t identify.

“You…” he started before letting out a deep sigh, “I am so thankful towards you”. A smile creased on her face, “You don’t need to thank me. I’m just doing my job”. A slight smirk appeared on his face as well, “God I want to hit you sometimes!”

“Do it then” she teased.

Just as Namjoon was about to say something, the door opened and Jin walked in. “It’s time to begin”.

Mimi placed her hand on top of his head, “No matter the outcome, I’m proud of you”. Namjoon lowered his head for a moment before standing up. Mimi walked next to him as the squad surrounded them and made their way into the courtroom.

The courtroom fell silent once Namjoon set foot into there. All eyes were on Namjoon and he felt his forehead grow moist in anxiousness. Mimi started to take out her notes and placed them on the table that they were stationed at.

The courtroom eve

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter