Chapter Twenty Three

Monster
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Mimi sent Namjoon to the holding cell back at the court while she used the remaining time to think over what she was going to point out in court. She had her paperwork splattered across the bed.

A knock at the door brought her out of her work zone, it was a nurse. “Dinner, Ms. Song” she smiled as she wheeled in her food for the night. Quite frankly, she was still full from her date with Namjoon but she couldn’t resist saying no since she put such a hassle on the hospital staff once she returned.

The nurse left the food on the table next to her. Mimi pulled the moving table closer to her and lazily munched on the food provided. It wasn’t the best, obviously its hospital food, but what could she do.

Another knock at the door startled her. A smile spread across her face.

“Professor” she greeted him. He reciprocated the smile and took a seat by her bed. “Yesterday was really crazy, wasn’t it?” he said, patting her leg through the blankets. Mimi nodded her head, “It really was a shock, I wasn’t expecting it at all”.

“You hit the floor pretty hard. Are you okay now?” he asked, like a worried father. “I am. I’m sorry for worrying you, Professor. Are you okay? I’m sure the suicide was horrifying for you to see too” she frowned at the older man who didn’t look phased at all.

“This wouldn’t be the first time I saw something like this. When you’re in this type of field, people will do crazy things to prevent spending years inside the prison walls”.

Mimi let out a small sigh, this was the first for her. Granted, she liked not spending her time in court- she preferred to be out in the field.

“How is everything coming along though? Do you think you’ll have enough evidence to help prove his innocence?” he asked, leaning forward in his chair. Mimi shifted towards the man a bit more, “Professor, I have no clue. I am really ready for this, but Lim dives into such topics that it’s hard to get out of. He has this manipulative way about him”.

“You just have to persevere. Times get tough, but if you fully believe in your client- fight for him. If you truly wish to prove him innocent then you need to be ready” he stated before standing up. Mimi blinked up at him, “Are you leaving already?”.

The man hummed. “Visiting hours are almost over. I must go”.

“Thank you Professor. Sincerely. Thank you for everything. None of this would have been possible if it wasn’t for your knowledge, and taking me under your wing” Mimi bowed politely which resulted in her mentor placing his hand on her head, ruffling her hair a bit and adding a bit of warmth back into her soul.

“I’ll see you tomorrow, kiddo. Don’t be disappointed if things don’t go your way. Remember, even if you persuade the judge, you still need to persuade the jury as well. Even then, he may still get years in jail; don’t get your hopes up”.

Mimi nodded and waved her mentor goodbye.

For the rest of the night, Mimi spent her time organising her thoughts and putting evidence together that would work favorably for Namjoon. She has kept her mentors words in her mind. She had to fight for him, she had to prove his innocence- if she didn’t no one else would.




 

Mimi was waiting in the waiting room with Namjoon while they were waiting to be summoned and have the bailiff to come into the courtroom. There had been new restrictions placed to prevent anymore injuries inside the courtroom.

Mimi tightened the handcuffs around Namjoon’s wrists that were resting behind his back. “I’m sorry about this” she muttered to him quietly. He looked at her over his shoulder, “It’s not your fault. It’s not the first time you put me in cuffs” he tried to joke with her, to help ease the tension for her.

She smiled a bit, “I’m happy you developed a sense of humor”.

The bailiff had come from the side door and motioned for them to make their entrance for the last time. “Let’s get this over with” Namjoon said under his breath in a tone which had told Mimi that he had given up.

Mimi sat Namjoon down at their designated seat.

The judge coughed a bit and took his gavel to signal that court was now in session. The courtroom silenced and Mimi clumped her papers together, getting ready to prepare for whatever the Judge or Lim has to ask.

“We apologize for the incident yesterday. I hope you are feeling better, Miss Song. Let’s get this hearing finished this time.” the judge stated, shuffling through papers, “Miss Song, you may proceed”.

“Thank you, your honor”. Mimi moved to the front, “I’ve stated many times but I feel like I should mention it again. I find the accusations against Namjoon unlawful. I understand that he had done crimes, horrible crimes, but this was not something done out of free will.”

“You don’t think he would do this if he had not been with s?” Lim asked from the side.

“Let me ask you Lim, would you be a lawyer if your father and mother wasn’t a lawyer? You most likely wouldn’t have. They taught you and brought you up at a young age that it was a “honor” if you would follow in their footsteps. Why is Namjoon any different?”

“You can’t predict my future. I may have still chose this path”

“MAY. You MAY have chose it. It’s not a definite answer.”

Lim didn’t have anything to add.

“Namjoon has proven to me time and time again that he has changed. He will not hurt anyone unless he is provoked.”

“How can you be so sure? How can you be certain he won’t lash out and hurt someone innocent?”

“Any person can hurt someone innocent at any time. Namjoon has protected me many times from harm. Namjoon has protected Jin. That should be evidence enough!”

“Can you provide examples, Minyoung?” The judge chimed in.

“Yes, your honor. Example one, we were at Han river and two guys had bumped into me and one was being quite rude to me. Namjoon got defensive and although he hit me, he got the drunkards away. Example two, He kept me away from Hoseok and other members who came to the house. Example three, he brought my squad to me when I was kidnapped.”

“Namjoon, please come to the stand”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter