A Cooking Unicorn?

It Began With a Dance
Please log in to read the full chapter

"Who are you?" A young male voice asked in heavily accented English.

Kai bit his lip and put his hands up. "My name is Kai, I am from Korea. Are you Lay?"

"Why do you need to know that?" The voice behind him asked in Korean.

"I was sent here to meet him." Kai closed his eyes, waited for a blow or even the pain of a gunshot.

Instead, he heard the sound of something drop and the footsteps of someone running away from him. He turned and glanced down to see broom handle lay on the ground before him. He looked back in time to see Lay running off. He closed his eyes and disappeared into black smoke.

Kai reappeared right in front of Lay. Lay skidded to a halt and fell back on his bottom. He looked up at Kai, wide-eyed, his chest heaving and began to stand while he backed away.

"Wait!" Kai reached out to Lay.

A sharp pain exploded in the back of his head. Kai crumpled to the ground as his vision spun to black.

 

Kai awoke enveloped in white, swirling light. The light felt soothing and comforting; his head didn't hurt and even his muscles that had been sore from dancing felt better. Slowly the light began to disappear and a face began to focus in. Lay's deep, almond eyes were the first feature Kai could see clearly. Followed by a long but delicate nose and full lips. Kai could feel his hand in his hair and a thumb rubbing light cirlces in his forehead. The hands moved away and Kai tried to sit up.

"Don't get up yet." Lay said and gently laid a hand on his chest.

Kai looked around the room, confused. He had been outside, in an alleyway before he out. Now he felt a bed underneith him and could see the city through a floor-to-ceiling window past his feet. He looked over to Lay again.

"You're in my home." Lay answered the unspoken question. "I had you brought up here. I'm sorry, I thought you were someone else, but," He tapped Kai's pendant. "I saw this and now I'm wondering who sent you."

Kai glanced down at his necklace. "Do you have one?"

Lay nodded and pulled out his pendant from his shirt. His necklace, like Kai's, was on a black cord. The pendant was a silver unicorn's head.

Lay gestured behind him. "Tao has a necklace, too. His looks like an hourglass."

Kai looked beyond Lay to see a young man with wild black hair and aggressive-looking eyes. He glared at him and growled something in Mandarin. Lay turned and replied to him.They exchanged what sounded like heated words before the young man shook his head and left.

Lay sighed. "I'm sorry, Tao can be a brat sometimes. But he was worried about me. He saw you chasing me and thought you were someone else, too. We have to be careful here." He stood up from the bed. "Are you hungry? You probably haven't eaten today. I'll make up something."

Kai sat up and looked around. The apartment was on long, narrow room with windows making up one wall. A small kitchen had been set up in the middle. On the other side of it was a couple armchairs and tiny table, a guitar and a key board. On part of the opposite wall was a wide floor-to-ceiling mirror, like one for a dance studio. On Kai's other side was a wall half the width of the apartment.

"The bathroom's around to your right if you need to use it." Lay bent down and began to rummage through a small fridge. "Sorry, I don't have much right now."

"Thank you." Kai said and swung his long legs over the bed. Something nudged his foot and he glanced down to see his backpack. "How did you get my backpack?"

"I know some people." Lay replied with a chuckle. "Someone saw you come out of a motel that's owned by a friend of my family's. I told him you were hurt and staying with m

Please log in to read the full chapter