The Need to Gather

It Began With a Dance
Please log in to read the full chapter

"Gege, when are you coming back?"

Lay sighed inwardly. Tao's voiced sounded as pathetic as a whining puppy sometimes. "I'm going to be in Korea for a few more days. We have to wait things out right now. Remember, we broke into a high security building and 'kidnapped' someone. Please be patient." There was silence on the other end. "Tao, I'm going to be back soon . . . Tao?"

"I'm here, gege."

"Please, I need you to do what Luhan-ge told you. Did you get a plane ticket?"

"Yes, I did. Just, please hurry back."

"I will, just hold on a little longer. Tao I-"

"Gege, I have to go." Click.

Lay looked down at Suho's phone. Tao never hung up like that before.

"I think he's mad at me." Lay said. He turned to Suho. "What is Luhan-ge doing?"

Suho sat on the floor with his legs crossed and tucked up to his body. Luhan lay with his head resting on Suho's hands that lay on top of his ankles. "He's trying to call to another . . . memeber." He shook his head. "Sorry, I don't know exactly what to call us yet."

Lay nodded. He sat down on the couch and opened Suho's book. So far they were still only five together. Himself, Suho, Luhan, Kai and Tao. There were seven others still out there, with the possiblity of finding one very soon. Maybe they already found each other, or they could still be alone. Lay shuddered. He hoped that no others were "contained" like Luhan was.

"Do you think we'll find the others?" Suho quietly asked him.

Lay looked up from the book. "I know we will."

Lay sighed. "I hope Luhan-ge's dream was wrong, and we get to the one named Xiumin before they do."

"Luhan had another dream?"

"He said he'll tell us about it later. We should let him concentrate."

Suho nodded and looked back down at Luhan, a nagging voice in the back of his head repeating the same phrase. He's hiding things from us.

 

Vancouver, B.C., Canada

Kris lay in bed and stared at the ceiling. It had been days since the dream on the skytrain, but he couldn't help but think of it. The boy in the hospital bed, the dragon and the voice. Out of everything in the dream, his mind stuck to that one word, leader. What did that even mean? But, then again, it was a dream. As far as Kris was concerned, it probably just meant that he needed to eat less take-away sushi. Or stop eating chicken.

With a sigh he rolled over onto his stomach and snuggled into his pillow. His eyes had closed and sleep came almost instantly.

When he opened his eyes, he was not in his bedroom.

The room was black, the walls appearing to be nothing more than dark curtains. On a grey marble floor were a dozen glass orbs the size of softballs. Kris leaned down and picked one up. The glass felt unnaturally smooth in his hand and reflected light that had no source. He moved the glass sphere in his hand and studied how the phantom light played on it. Suddenly, the orb began to change.

Black clouds swirled through the glass ball and filled it like a cross between a campfire and a hurricane. A figure began to manifest in the orb's center, but it remained a shadowed silhouette. The coulds continued to swirl and tiny lightening bolts flashed inside the glass ball. The scene shifted to white, mist-like clouds and the silhouette changed a well. In another shift the silhouette changed but the clouds didn't change in colour. They rose and snow began to fall from them, then changed to sand that shifted through an invisable hourglass. Like the others, the silhouette changed.

The orb changed back to how he found it after that. Kris looked up from it and found five of the glass spheres rising from the floor. His hand felt lighter and when he looked back to his hand he found the orb floating above his palm.

I'm dreaming. The thought hit him with such a shock he gasped sharply.

"Yes, you are." Replied in a voice in Mandarin.

Kris looked up from the orb and jumped back with a cry. The orb stayed in place in the air despite his pulling away. Less than ten feet from him stood the boy from his previous dream. Instead of a hospital gown, the young man in front of him wore dark jeans, a purple t-shirt

Please log in to read the full chapter