Oncoming Danger Part I

It Began With a Dance
Please log in to read the full chapter

At midnight in London, a heart began beating.

Madam Ombres' eyes opened, she began to wheeze and rolled over to cough up blood. Stars lit up her vision, but soon faded and she became aware of the sensation of dried blood on her back and through her long hair. A couple mintues passed and she slowly rose to her feet and stepped around the gore on the fllor tiles. She then entered her office, pulled on a coat over her blood-cover blouse, changed her heels in for flats and came out to grab her iPhone. Her fingers quickly typed in a number and she brought the phone up to her ear. As the phone rang, she approached her office door once again, but this time stopped and knocked in a strange rhythem on the door while the phone rang. Madam Obres opened the door as an older woman answered.

"Ophelia?" A concern question greeted her.

"Mrs. Zhang, I need you to get the boys together." Madam Obres said and walked through the doorway. "We have a big problem; the Merchants are onto where their 'assets' are and I'm certain the Jailors are here."

Madam Obres stepped onto a plush, red carpet; she wasn't in her office, instead, an emormous library opened up before her, open and several stories high. The walls were of dark, carved wood and lined with foor-to-ceiling bookshelves, between rows of bookselves of the same wood were antique tables and plush desk chairs. The large area was softly lit with the glow of old gas lamps and  she could see where upper floors framed the massive section of building. She breezed through and smelled old books, with a undertone of wood and a tiny tint of new ink. What few others were inside ignored her prensence and went about reading and looking through the shelves.

"Chen and Xiumin?" Mrs. Zhang asked. "But what about the other boys?"

Madam Obres snapped her fingers and her appearance shifted. Her long, dark brown hair blackened, waved and shorted to a few centimeters past her shoulders and her face again had the appearance of someone older, yet elegant. "I need all six of them. Things are moving much faster than I hoped for. Please have them ready for me."

She turned to her right, approached a door and knocked.

 

Suho sat on the edge of a large, round fountain, a large latte' in hand and his work bag at his feet. He pulled down his bulky grey scarf over his black wool coat and took a sip of his drink. With a sip of his drink he took a moment of his morning to watch the people around him before stepping into his studio room for his last day. Around him, people walked by, bundled up for the cold morning; some alone, some in pairs or small groups and a few with a small child or two in tow. Suho smiled at his and remembered the times when he could walk Kai to school when he was a small child.

Now, he no longer walked his younger brother to school, and soon he would no longer be walking to work, or teaching children, teens and young adults how to sing better. This life he built over the years would be ending, then he would be off to London. Then, if everything worked out, Exoplanet.

And then what? He didn't know.

Suho sighed a puff of steam over his latter and took another sip.

"Excuse me?" A male voice asked him in a heavy accent.

Suho looked up to see a man in a long, black coat, his blonde hair cropped short and parted to the side. He looked down at him with with worrisome green eyes behind gold wire glasses.

"Oh, I'm sorry." Suho set his latte' down, embarrassed to be caught lost in thought. "Can I help you?"

"Do you speak English?" The foreigner asked in an apprehensive tone.

"Yes." Suho easily glided between languages. "Is there something I can help you with?"

"I'm sorry to bother you, but are you Kim Jun-Myeon?"

Suho smiled up at him. "Yes, I am."

"I haven't been in Korea long, but I heard you're a great vocal teacher." The foreigner paused and guestured next to Suho. "May I?"

 

Kai rubbed the sleep from his eyes and adjusted the collar of his slate grey coat. Behind him the backdrop of the third floor cafe was set with the smells of freshly baked pastries and brewing coffee and the sounds of people talking. He took mild notice of with a foggy mind and metally muttered to himself about mornings and how much he hated them. To his right the morning sun taunted him from behind the cafe's floor to ceiling windows. Inside Kai's coat pocket was Suho's debit card; as soon as he arrived at the studio building an all-too-cheerful-for-morning hyung gave it to him and instructed the half-awake Kai to get something to wake himself up with.

He rubbed his eyes again the looked out the window to the plaza below. There was Suho sitting on the edge of the fountain planted in its center. His back was to Kai, but he knew it was his hyung from his hair and coat; not to mention it was Suho's usual place to sit. Kai was about to turn turn and make his way to the cafe's counter when something caught his attention. Someone had approached Suho. Kai turned back towards the window and watched the interaction. Although it seemed harmless, something about it felt, very, very wrong. A feeling of unease crept up Kai's back with spider legs to embrace the back of his head and the fogginess in his head suddenly evaporated. 

Suho's expression had changed from an easygoing smile to a look of apprehension, and then to fear as he froze in place. The man he was speaking to, a foreigner in an expensive wool coat, reached into his pocket.

Kai's eyes widened in horror. "Hyung!"

 

"Are you thinking about taking vocal lessons?" Suho asked as the foreigner set next to him.

"Oh, no." The foreigner replied. "I'm more interested in speaking with you."

Suho's smile faded out. "I'm sorry, what do you mean?"

"Well, you see, I found out something interesting things about you. Not only that you're a great music teacher, but also a very talented singer, also the fact that you go by another name as well." He took off his glasses and slipped them into his pocket. "So, what should I call you? Kim Jun-Myeon, or Suho?"

Suho froze and he felt his heartbeat double in his chest. "Pardon?"

"Let's just say I work for an organization that has a strong interest in you, your brother and ten others like you. Suho, you really didn't think you could have pulled off that stunt last night without any notice, I hope? We were waiting for you to show yourselves; fortunetly for us, you did so very quickly.  You had some fun, but it's time you come with us."

Suho scooted further away. "I don't think so."

"Now, Suho, do you really think I came here alone?" The foreigner guestured with a nodd of his head. He raised a wrist to his mouth and spoke into it. "I have SCP2304, begin containment protocol."

Other men began to gather around them, six in total. They were dressed in various civilian-looking clothing, sunglasses on and gloved hands uncomfortably close to coat pockets. The lenses of their sunglasses were dark enough that Suho couldn't see their eyes, but he knew they were staring at him, braced for attack in need be. He looked back to the man seated next to him, whose hand was now gripping the lapel of his coat.

The foreigner continued. "We've been observing you for a few days now, just waiting for the others to show up. Now, don't try to resist containment, Suho. I've read your file and know you're on of the most dolice SCPs in your group, what do you call yourselves? Exo?" He reached into his coat pocket a small, black object out.

Suho's eyes caught sight of it and he bit the inside of his cheek to surpress a gasp. The man was holding a taser gun.

"Don't pick now to fight your compliant nature." The foreigner warned. "Come with us quietly and this won't have to be painful for you." A tiny electric bolt flahed from the taser with a loud, static-like noise. "Well, which will you choose, Suho, or SCP2304?"

 

Kai's breath caught in his throat; his hyung was surrounded and the man next to him seemed more threatening the more Suho created space between them.

Hyung, what are you doing? JUST RUN ALREADY!

Kai began to pound on the glass. "Hyung Hyung, get away from them!"

The room had gone silent as the cafe's patrons stopped what they were doing and turned to stare at the strange young man banging a fist on the widow and yelling erractically.

A waitress approached him. "Dear customer, please refrain from-"

Before should could finish, he disappeared before the crowd that errupted in gasps and screams.

The waitress fainted.

 

"Don't make this hard on yourself, 2304. Just come with us quietly and we'll be good to you." The foreigner pointed the taser at Suho.

Suho's heart was pounding so hard for a moment his ears closed to the sound, everything else drowned out by the rapid rhythem. He swallowed and glanced from the weapon to the foreign man, and then back to it. "Would you really do this now? We're in public, I could yell and say I'm being kidnapped. I've done nothing wrong."

"Don't underestimate us, we're internationally sactioned and very proficent at covering up out tracks. Be a good boy and come with us. It won't be so bad, if you comply with us we'll even make sure you're living comfortably in your new home."

"Why are you doing this?"

"Because we have to." The foreigner reached into his other pocket and set a set of handcuffs on the fountain. "Make your choice."

Suho stared down at the handcuffs and nipped his bottom lip. We just started, everyone is finally together. Is it going to be over already? It can't end like this!

"Well?" The foreigner tsked. "Decisions, decisions, I know. But we need to get going; we have other operatives already working on getting the others rounded up. The sooner we can do this, the sooner it will be over and you can just . . . accept your new life."

"It can't end this way." Suho muttered to himself.

"Excuse me?"

<
Please log in to read the full chapter