They Call Him Kai

It Began With a Dance
Please log in to read the full chapter

Seoul, South Korea

Kim Jongin was happiest when alone in the practice room. He was able to play whatever music he wanted, could practice whatever dance he wanted to without interruption, and mostly importantly, he didn't have to wear shoes.

Jongin sauntered into the room, his coat alrady half shrugged off. It was tossed off nonchalantly to his right, tie thrown on top in the same fashion. With a click of the door shutting, he dropped his schoolbag and pulled off his dress shoes. Socks were stuffed in roughly and they were unceremoniously tossed onto the growing clothing pile. He then reached into his schoolbag and pulled out a CD and dropped the bag to the floor. He slipped the CD in a large stereo that sat on the other side of the uniform pile, hit play and padded barefoot across a pale, hardwood floor to a bar on the other side of the room. There Kai stretched his long legs on the bar then turned and bent over backwards to stretch the muscles of his back.

Jongin felt something slip out of his shirt and caught it in his hand; a silver pendant in the shape of a triangle that framed what appeard to be either a tornado or an eye. He stood up and held. it between his fingers. A week ago he and his hyung, Jongmyeon, had found them. The necklaces were in tiny envelopes with their names on written on them, yet, the names engraved on the backs of the pentants were not theirs. The name on his pendant read Kai, his hyung's read Suho.

Jongin wandered back to the stereo and switched the song to Reflection I by Song Kwangsik and began to practice. He arched his feet onto his toes and spun once, twice, and a third time.

On his fourth spin, a black fog swiftly enveloped him. Jongin felt a sicking pull, like when an elevator drops before he can brace himself. Everything went dark. Three seconds passed like an hour and when the fog cleared, old brick buildings spun around him, cold, damp stones rushed up to shock his feet. Jongin's spin slowed and he gently fell to the ground as the world quickly went black again.

 

London, England

"What's going on?" Madame de L'Ombres, or simply, Madam Ombres handed off her iPad to an assistant and turned to a panicked employee.

She was what someone would call a graceful woman. Madam Ombres appeared to have stepped out of a vintage Vogue magazine; that day she wore a navy blue button-up dress, belted around her slender waist, her raven hair pinned up in a low bun and she donned simple eyeliner to bring out her almond-shaped eyes. Despite always carrying modern tech with her, she always wore vintage clothing.

"I-I think there's something I think you should see outside." The young man stammered and gestured behind him.

"Alright." She responded calmly. Show me what this is." She began to follow him. "Just make it quick, I still have a lot to do today."

The employee opened the door to the alleyway behind the soon-to-be-opened club. He stopped abrubtly and pointed towards a stack of small shipping crates. "There's someone right there, Madam."

Madam Ombres crossed her arms and arched a brow at him. "You couldn't have called security, or, the police? This hardly seems like a situation for myself to appropriatly handle."

"Well, the thing is, he kind of appeared out of nowhere." The emplyee began to creep towards the boxes. "I mean, I was here and grabbed a crate to bring in. When I got back here, there he was. I wasn't even gone two minutes!"

"Is he still there?"

The employee peered around the crates. "Wait . . . yes! He is, and he's still out."

"He's unconcious?"

The employee nodded.

Madam Ombres walked around him, her heels clicking on the cobblestone. She stopped next to her employee and gazed down. In front of her was a young Asian man dressed in black dress pants and a white button-down shirt that brought out his bronzed skin tone. He was barefoot and his black hair was messy and slightly wavy. The young man appeared to be in his mid-teens. He was indeed out, and his breathing gave off the impression of a deep sleep as he lay curled up on his side.

"And . . . you said he appeared out of nowhere?" She skeptically asked.

"As I said, he just showed up. I didn't see where he came from."

Madam Ombres was about to turn to him, but something caught her eye. Light reflected from somthing silver on the young man's chest. She bent down and found a silver pendant on a black cord. She picked it up between French-manicured fingertips. Her brows furrowed and she appeared to be perplexed, but her heart began to race. She turned over the pendant and read a name.

Kai.

Madam Ombres stood up quickly. "Bring him inside."

She looked back to where the boy had been laying. When they're ready, they will appear.

 

13 Months later . . .

There was a place in London, past the tourist-heavy blocks and through a narrow alley still paved with the cobblestone of Jack the Ripper's era, that was both nightclub and theatre. No-one knew the owner's real name. She was known as Madame Ombres, a mysterious woman only known to have once been involved in threatre herself. So, the kept the stage and worked a theme around it. Once the building was up again to enteraining people, she went to the task of finding enterainers worthy enough to reserect the stage.

That's when he showed up.

 

An hour into the club opening, many people had gathered around the curtains. A low fog began to creep out from under the heavy, maroon curtains. A few of the club's attendees began to whisper amonst themselves. Was he here? I heard from someone that he was going to be here tonight. Are you sure? He hasn't been here in weeks!

"Who is he?" A young man new to the club asked a young blond standing next to him in front of the stage.

She looked at him wide-eyed. "You don't know who he is? Kai's back!" She turned her attention back to the stage as the curtains began to open.

Somehow, the employees had managed to bring an antique car onstage. Dry ice was hidden behind the curtains, rolling out a thick, but low fog over the stage. The lights were set low and centered around the car. For a moment the stage, as well as the rest of the club was silent. Then a wave a applause and cheers started from the group of people in front of the stage and quickly

Please log in to read the full chapter