028

School
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

26 June 2012

Dear eonnie,

The past week had been insane. We had practice for 3 days (Mon, Wed, Fri). Monday, like I said in my previous entry, was just the dance prac. Wed was full on physical training, even Jong Kook oppa complained. Seriously! If even he complained then I don’t know how we even survived that. Friday was singing and dancing.

On Tuesday, I baby-sitted the kid next door. Ok, not really babysit because she’s like, 9 already. But yeah. Then on Thursday and Saturday and today (Sunday), I met up with the team to earn money for our drum set! So far, we have close to $600 already (including generous donations from some of our own parents. Eomma and appa gave me $50! Jong Kook forked out like $200. I don’t know if it was his mother or if he used his own savings. But still. That accounted for 30% of our total earnings… Haha’s parents donated $20 too. The rest hadn’t provided any, but I guess they probably would have contributed if they could too.

Anyway, for today, everyone (!!!) came to do the car wash! It was the first full-strength session! On Thursday, Gary and Jong Kook didn’t come, and on Saturday, Kwang Soo and Jae Suk hadn’t come. But today it was everyone!!! It felt like a battle won already. But we didn’t earn much because it rained a lot just now. But still, we had fun splashing each other in the rain! It was hilarious! We used our umbrellas to practise our tap tap dance. And you know you can always count on Gary to come up with a suitable song to sing…

We sang I’ll be there for you by the Rembrandt.

Us: “So no one told you life was going to be this way

Your job’s a joke, you’re broke, your love life’s D.O.A

It’s like you’re always stuck in second gear

When it hasn’t been your day, your week, your month or even in your year, but

I’ll be there for you”

Jae Suk, Haha, Kwang Soo (yelling): “WHEN THE RAIN STARTS TO POUR”

“I’ll be there for you

Like I’ve been there before

I’ll be there for you

(Haha ran over to Gary and jumped up onto him, yelling) Cause you were there for me too.”

A crowd gathered around us to watch, even despite the rain. It was quite heart-warming, you know, to see how people actually brave the rain to watch us. And also how we were so cold but still danced so passionately.

Really, the song, it really fits us so perfectly. Not just the part about being for each other when the rain starts to pour (but really, it reminded me of that time in camp when we got caught in the rain? I think whenever it pours in the future, I will get reminded of the team and this song).

It was the part about us all, being ‘stuck in second gear’ (I guess it really meant never reaching our prime), and about being there for each other at our worst. And there was my favourite part. They are all “someone to face the day with, make it through all the rest with, someone I’ll always laugh with,” and “even at my worst I’ll be best with you (them)”. It must have resonated with every single one of us, because only then we can sing with so much passion and fervour.

It really reminded me of Teacher Im’s quote of ‘we perform to enjoy’.

After all

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter