Chapter 21: Helper

LOVESICK : The Reality

[Captain's Point Of View]

 

I turn my head around and watch as White’s figure grows distant, feeling the rough longing and guilt built, making my insides turn. Even though I had been trying to not feel guilty, I could not help to be angry at myself. How could I have chosen Fame before White?! I was such an idiot! I couldn’t even remember how many times I had rejected White already. I was the one that was supposed to ask him out and treat him to dinner to make up for it. But what do I do instead? I shamelessly reject him for the hundredth time. I couldn’t even blame him if he were to hate me for that.

But then as I drown in self-reproach, a voice inside of me screamed, reminding me things that I already knew. Why are you being so harsh on yourself when the two of you are just friends? And that voice was right. It was foolish to feel this way, considering that White and I were just friends. There was no reason for me to feel like I owed him anything and no reason for him to feel all possessive over me. We were just friends and friends didn’t own each other.

Letting out a long sigh, I turn back to stare at the front glass, the endless road in front of us lightened by the front lights. Noticing my sudden gloominess, Fame gives me a concerned glance before focusing on the road again. “Are you alright there, buddy?”, He asks me in that voice that he uses whenever he speaks to me. A voice that made me feel familiar and safe, as if we had been together our whole lives.

“Yeah.. It’s just that, I feel that I’ve screwed up with White again..”, I said absently, a part of me still occupied with my thoughts, while the other part was craving for some comfort. Looking out of the window, I let out another sigh that creates a small fog on glass. I quickly begin to doodle on it, remembering the old days when I was still a child, without no concerns.

“Hmm. Did something happen?”, He asked me, his voice casual and yet, I could recognize the concern that was hidden under the façade. “I thought you said you fixed things with him and were back on his “good side”.”, He added, reminding of the brief happiness I felt that day.

My friend Fame has known about my feelings for some time now. I had been the one that had unintentionally told him about them. After White and I fought back at that time, I fell into a slump. It was not the kind of depression where I would drop without doing things, but a depression where I exploited myself in an attempt to forget about White. Noticing my rush in behavior, he had asked me if something was wrong. I had tried brushing him off but he had been persistent. They say that everyone has a breaking point. I had my breaking point with Fame. His persistence was sending me to the edge. His constant questions dressed in concern had been my faithful companion. I grew so frustrated that I ended up exploding, blurting everything out before I had been able to control myself. Once everything was out of my system, I admit that I felt a lot better. Unlike Pineare, who always interrupted me to speak her opinion, Fame was someone who listened in silence. I could go on and on for hours, telling him about all my concerns and feelings, and he would remain quiet, only speaking when I asked him for his opinion. I found that to be soothing and often would search for him when I felt troubled.

“Yeah.. We are still friends, I think? It’s just that White has been asking me out a lot lately.. And I’ve been neglecting him a lot because of my busy schedule..”, I turned to look at him, trying to find a scolding look in his face, but he had his eyes glued to the road. A big contrast to White who got distracted easily, I thought to myself. “So..? Isn’t that supposed to be good? That he is asking you out, I mean.”, He tells me in an oblivious voice, as if he didn’t see the problem.

“Yeah. But isn’t that a little odd? That he’s been so clingy? Also, he looked so hurt when I rejected him earlier today, as if my rejection was actually affecting him.”, I said with a whiny tone that I couldn’t recognize as my own, as if I was begging him for an answer. I wanted him to tell me something that I didn’t know, although I didn’t know exactly what.

“You rejected him because of me? Woah! I didn’t know you liked me that much. I feel very honored now.”, He said in a mocking tone and I slap his shoulder in an attempt for him to take me seriously. “Alright, alright! Don’t get mad at me, princess.”, He grinned at me with amusement, making me roll my eyes and turn back to the window in order to avoid looking at the obnoxious expression I knew he wore.

“I don’t know. Maybe he likes you and wants to spend time with you?”, After a moment, he finally breaks the silence as he makes a turn into a different route. I feel my heart race inside my chest at his suggestion. This wasn’t the first time Fame had implied that. He was a strong believer that my feelings were reciprocated, actually. Just like Pineare and Ssing, and everyone else who knew us. I often wondered what made them think that way. There were so many things that pointed that White was “straight”. It had to be that god was testing me, to see how much I had learned from my previous mistakes.

“Like me?! That’s absurd!”, I snorted, trying to hide my hurt, and getting him to quirk an eyebrow. “Why are you looking at me like that?! Fame, we already talked about this. White doesn’t like me and never will.”, I said wryly, letting out a sigh to relieve the pressure that had built up in my chest. “How are you so sure about that?”, Fame asked me, and before I could mutter a word, he interrupted me, “Not everything is black or white, Captain. Sometimes things are not as we see them. There’s always more than what we see.” I furrow my eyebrows at him, feeling a little uncomfortable with his wisdom speech. He wasn’t someone that spoke a lot and I had hoped that he would stay that way. Unluckily for me, he kept talking as if he was an old monk, ignoring my awkwardness.

“Look, Captain. I can’t tell you with certainty whether he likes you or not as I don’t know him all that well. I also don’t want to raise your hopes up for them to be crashed later on. But, I can tell you that things can change and anything can happen. You are proof of that, aren’t you?”, He tells me with confidence, as if he knew what he was talking about. I felt small and a little stupid, but I knew that he was right. Things could change and anything was possible. I was proof of how things can change before you realize it.  A year ago I had thought that I was straight and that no boy would ever make me feel this way. I took it for certain and now I was here, hurting over someone who had the same s I had. How funny was that?! Okay, not funny at all. Scratching my head in annoyance, I turn to look out of the window in resignation.

 

[White's Point Of View]

 

After fifteen minutes of following through the dark streets of the city, I finally watch Fame's black car enter a very full parking lot. Taking my eyes off of the car for just a moment, I take a glance at our destination, admiring silently the details that make up the place. Despite my wide knowledge when it came to restaurants, this one was one I had never seen or been to before. The two story building was made out of wood and long see through windows that desplayed the interior. A very bast clientele occupying almost every table and waiters making their way hurriedly from one side to the other could be seen through the glass. Aside from beautiful, the place seemed to be very popular as well. I found it odd that I hadn't heard of it before. But then again, I wasn't very familiar with this side of town, so I didn't know a lot of places around here. 

Remembering my mission here, I quickly return my attention to the car that is around ten meters from mine. I wondered if they had noticed that I had been following them. I doubted it honestly as I wasn't that close from them to have noticed me, unless they had eagle eyes which I hope they didn't. I watch as their car finds a vacant place and parks on it, leaving me to find my own place to park on. Leaving them for a moment, I concentrate on finding an empty place to park. I end up parking on a dark corner, far away from them.

After getting off of my car and locking it, I start to walk towards the entrance. Through the glass wall, I can see them as they greet the waiter and ask for an empty table. As I wait for the waiter to guide them away, I silently pray that they don't turn around and see me standing outside. After what's half a minute, the waiter finally signals them to follow and guides them towards the staircase, conducting them to the upper floor. Once they have disappeared of sight, I bring myself to enter the place. As soon as I'm inside, a waitress immediately approaches me. She has blonde long hair and ocean blue eyes. I stare at her in admiration as she greets with a smile, apparently not knowing who I am. Smiling back at her, I ask her for a table and she gladly begins to guide me to the upper floor. It seems that the tables on the lower floor are already taken, which is good as I need to seat somewhere where I can keep a close look at them.

Once she has given me a table, she hands me the menu and turns around to leave. When she's gone, I start to look around at my surroundings in their search. Thankfully, I spot them ten tables away from me, far enough for them not to see me and for me to have a look at them. Although it's hard it's impossible to hear what they are saying, I am grateful as the chances to get caught are slimmer from here. Taking a exhausted sigh, I open the menu lazily and start reading it, contemplating what I'm going to be ordering. Since I'm already using a table, I can't just not order anything. Besides, I'm also hungry so ordering something won't harm anyone. After a while, I choose to go for a dish that looks like everything yet nothing I've ever tasted. Either way, I don't pay much attention and give my order to the waitress that approaches me a moment later.

Minutes pass and I still haven't gathered a bit of information. Captain has his back on me, while Fame seats in front of him. I have to dodge his stares every once and then but thankfully, it seems that I'm still unnoticed. The family that is seating next table has been enough protection to cover me. I stare at the curious glances that the twin brothers that are on such table give me. They both look around eight to nine years old, but the glances full of harmless curiosity tell me that they have seen me somewhere before, possibly their tv screen. I try not to stare at them for too long and concentrate on the almost untouched plate of food in my table. Apparently, seeing the two persons that I'm here for laughing to each other has made me lose my appetite. I wonder what it's so funny for both of them to laugh that loudly. Feeling annoyed at their happy faces, I roll my eyes at them and force a spoonful down my throat.

 

[Fame's Point Of View]

 

The surrounding of the restaurant is really relaxing, despite it being at its busiest hour. They gave us a table that it's next to the window by my request, so we can enjoy the view as we enjoy ourselves. The dark night outside is lightened by the city lights, creating a calming scenery. I love to bring Captain here because of the delicious food. Captain is always happy when he eats, and I'm happy to see him happy. It has been a tough time for him and I am sure he is still struggling to cope with all the changes that have happened in his life. For that reason, I'm trying to support him as much as I can.  I want to help him recover and see that he is loved, no matter what. I must admit that I feel proud of him for coping with everything that happened to him. It must have been hard for him to handle his own feelings, yet alone be rejected by the person he loves. I'm proud of him for not giving up and continue walking forward with his head high. 

As I continue to look at Captain who is playing with his phone, my eyes caught a glimpse of a familiar face. Wait a minute? Is that White? What is he doing here? Didn't he said he was too tired to come with us? I watch from underneath my eyelashes and see White glancing towards our table, a look of annoyance in his face, and an idea pops up in my mnd. Wait a ing minute?! Is White spying on Captain?! By the look of it, he sure looks suspicious. Good thing that I am facing White's drection so I can see all his movements. It will be interesting if White was spying on Captain. It would prove the point I made earlier today as we drove to our destination. I should tell Captain about this, but before doing so, I need to confirm my theory.

"So how was the rehearsal just now? Do you like the script you were given?", I said to Captain while occasionally dartng my eyes to look at White, who is now staring intently at my lips as if trying to read them. "The rehearsal was okay. Everyone was there. I had a great time. The dance choreography is actually kind of awkward..? I don't know. It's just so hard to be that close to him and not being able to show what I really feel. I know that I am an idiot for feeling this way but I can't help myself. ", I can see Captain struggle with his emotions, his eyes suddenly cast low. Despite his efforts to look happy, I knew that he was still having a hard time. I really felt for him and would do anything to make him happy, as I too had suffered of a heartbreak before.

"Hey.. You know I am here, right? I'm always here for you. If you feel like you need someone to talk to, I am here ready to listen.", I said to him as I grab to his hand, trying to bring him some comfort. I continue to caress his palm with a finger, knowing very well that we are being watched. For some reason, knowing that White was feeling uneasy amused me. I wanted to send him to the edge, just as I had done with Captain. I wanted to see him explode in jealousy. I wanted to prove my point to Captain. Reaching for Captain's face, I cup his face with my two hands. Pulling his face up to look at me, I lean in as closest as the table allows me to. Thrown, he looks at me puzzled but without pulling away. We are very close so we are used to caring for each other like brothers. And I know Captain doesn't mnd the skin-ship that comes from me. "Listen to me, Captain. You are a wonderful person. Only stupid people wouldn't realize that. So stop feeling bad about yourself. You are only hurting yourself.", I whispered to him, making him blush. 

As I give White a quick glance, I can see that he is now looking very anxious. His eyes are currently glued on Captain, as he tries to decipher his reaction. Well, White. It seems now that you are caught. I'm going to make you feel what Captain felt once. I'm going to drive you to the edge of explotion. "Thanks Fame. I feel a lot better now. I am so lucky to have you around, too.", Captain replied to me, giving me his most sincere smile. 

Throughout the meal, we chat about school and projects. As I listen to Captain, I would occasionally touch his hands, or his face, trying to show him some affection. I would also spoon some food and shove it into his mouth, not giving him time to reject me. He does give me some odd looks as if I'm being too much, but doesn't say anything and plays along. As the time passes, White patience seems to be almost at the edge as I can see he keeps on shifting and moving in his chair. It looks as if he is trying to contain certain feeling inside of him from showing. In this case, I conclude that it's jealousy what he is feeling. I know I am being bad towards White but if this way I can help Captain, I would do anything that its in my hands. Captain has already suffered enough. Both of them deserve to be happy, just need a little push from me.

Once we are done eating, we decide to head back home. As we walk towards the staircase, I watch as White quickly leans over on the opposite side, pretending that he is picking something up. I contemplate on busting him to Captain at this moment, but decide against it. I want to see for how long he can follow our track. After paying the cashier, we start to walk outside. I look behind us as we leave the place just in time to see White reaching the lower floor. He seems to be oblivious of my eyes and proceeds to the cashier bar to pay for his meal. I decide to give  him some time to catch up and slow down my pace, forcing Captain to slow down his. 

As we reach my car, I quickly walk over to open the door for Captain to enter. Captain turns to look at me with an obnoxious expression but proceeds to seat on the car without a word. I close the door and move towards to the driver side. Opening the door, I enter the car. I pretend to adjust the mirror and slowly put on my seatbelt. Making sure that White is already entering hs car, I slowly start the engine and move towards the highway. "You don't have to be so courteous with me, you know?", Captain says faintly as he looks outside the window. "Actually, I'm doing it for a reason.", I tell him, making him turn to look at me questioningly. " You'll get to know it later, I promise.", I add, and he turns away shaking his head, as if he didn't think too much of my words. He doesn't bother me much after that. It seems that he either doesn't take my words too seriously or is willing to wait patiently until I drop the news.

As we reach Captain's house, I park in front of the gate. Looking at the side mirror, I can see White car slowly parking some cars behind. "Thank you so much for the wonderful dinner, P. I'm really thankful. Drive safely, okay?", Captain says his usual words of farewell, and starts to leave the car. "Hold on, Captain!", I call him while removing my seatbelt hastily and getting off of the car. "What is the matter, P?", Captain asks me while looking puzzled.

I walk towards him and without giving him any notice, I pull him into my arms. I feel him freeze inside of my arms as he is processing the situation. Once he realizes what is happening, he starts to struggle inside my arms, "P?! What are you doing?!" 

"Don't move..", I whisper inside his ear. "Your boyfriend is watching us right now. So please don't move until I tell you to.", I tell him and feel him freeze once again. "White?! Are you sure?!", He whispers a scream, the uncertainty evident in his voice. "Yes, I am sure. I actually saw him at the restaurant. He's been following us all of this time.", I continue to explain to him as I allow myself to get comfortable in our embrace. 

"Oh, wait.. So that is why you were being all lovey dovey with me, right?! I thought there was something wrong with you.", Captain finally realizes the reason of all the extra affection I gave him today. "You are right. Now listen to me carefully. I think White likes you, he just needs a little push. I'm willing to help if you cooperate with me.", I slowly explain my plan to Captain, hoping he would accept. Once I'm done speaking, Captain pulls away and looks into my eyes.

"I.. am not sure that's a good idea..", Captain replied. "Don't worry, you don't have to do anything. You just need to be yourself. I just need your approval to do my own little testing and investigation. Come on, Captain! This might be your opportunity!", I tell him in a pleading voice, as if this was about me and not about him. Captain looks at me troubled, as if he still had his doubts. "Please? Let me do this for you!", I pull at his arm, trying to convince him. Captain looks at my puppy eyes before breaking into a smile.

"Alright, alright! I don't think it will work, but if you want to try, it's okay with me.", He finally tells me, making me smile and pull him into another tight embrace. Pulling away from me once again, he raises his hand to wave me goodbye, "Alright, P. I have to go now. If my mother sees us right now, she will get suspicious, He he.", He tells me and laughs awkwardly. I smile at him before leaning down and giving him a peck on the cheek. His eyes widen and his cheeks blush, as I pull back. He turns around without saying another word, leaving me smiling in triumph. I walk towards my car with a smile on my face, forcing myself from looking straight at his car. I can picture the look that he is wearing now. He is probably freaking out or dying of jealousy. This has been an interesting night for the three of us. If I am the one that has to give White a wake up call, then be it. Both of them deserve to be happy and I will make sure to beat some sense into White's little head.

 

[Author's Point Of View]

 

Hello. It's me [Aleyda] *singing to Adele's* 

So as I had said in facebook, I was going to update earlier this week, because Ill be going to another town tomorrow and won't comeback till Sunday. This chapter came out very ty. I did the edit very quickly so it's very flawed and simple. I hope you don't mind. It's just that today was a very busy day for me. I had so many things to do. I'm sorry if it disappoints. Either way, I hope you enjoy :)