Chapter 9: A Challenge Or A Threat?

LOVESICK : The Reality

And forgive me, but I want you to know that I do love her,

and that I know very well that you're just playing,

that she drives me crazy and to you, just a little.

 

And forgive me but I don't believe that I will be able to hide it anymore,

I know that this might be making you angry,

but it's better than to keep pretending, that I don't love her.

 

[Tina's Point Of View]

 

As we drive down the empty road in direction of my home, neither of us say anything. We are lost in our own thoughts and I can feel uneasiness build inside of me once again. I occassionally glance towards White, who has his full attention on the road. I can see his hand tightly holding the steering wheel as if his life depended on it. I can also see the blank look he wears as he stares at the road in front of him. I knew that something was bothering my boyfriend lately. There had been a big change in his behavior in the past weeks. He looked distracted, concerned and even unhappy. I had tried to ask him about it on multiple occassions but he would deny and say that he had a "headache". I've believed in him until now but today, I finally had realized that he had been lying. 

This wasn't a headahe; this was a heartache.Turning back to look through the glass window, I let out a deep sigh and try to forget about my worries for a moment. I knew that I needed to get the answers tonight, but at least I could relax until we reached our destination. But as we approach our detination, I begin to realize that relaxing wouldn't be possible. This wasn't something I could forget about easily. This was something that would bother me endlessly. By the moment that we are in front of my house, I'm already on the edge of exploding.

If I was planning to speak to White about it, I might as well do it inside, I thought to myself as my house appeared in front of us. Once White stops the car, I turn to look at him, "Aren't you coming in?" Without looking at me, he just shook his head and replied, "Nah. It's too late." 

"That never stopped you before.", I tell him sourly as I stare at the clock's digital numbers that mark nine in the evening. A sigh escaped his lips but his eyes remained on the road ahead as he responded in a soft voice, "I would like to stay but there's classes tomorrow. We both should go to bed and sleep."

"Is it really school what worries you or are you still heartbroken that Captain didn't spend more time with you?!", I can't help to ask him and he finally turns to look at me. "I already told you it's not him.. I just have a headache..", I can still hear the annoyance in his voice despite his attempt to hide it.

"If that's the case, can you promise me something?" I continued without giving him a chance, "Will you please keep a distance from Captain?" At my request, he looks at me exasperatedly as he tightened his grip on the steering wheel, "Do you realize what you're asking me to do?! Do you even hear yourself?! How can you be so selfish?!"

"No, the one that's being selfish is you! I already told you how I felt but you seem to be ignoring it!", Crossing my arms over my chest, my stubborn side resurfaced. Why did I have to hear what I heard? I was already willing to overcome this feeling of uneasiness whenever White and Captain were together but I just had to hear Captain reveal his feelings. If I didn't know what I know now, things would have been simpler. I don't know how long it would have taken me to overcome that insecurity that overcame me but I know for sure that it would have been a lot earlier had I not know that Captain, the young man that my boyfriend adores, is indeed in love with him.

"I don't know what has suddenly gotten into you but this.. this is ridiculous! Captain is like a brother to me. How can you ask me to do that?!"

By now, my anger has completely taken over my senses as I glare at White, "I'm your girlfriend, White! Or have you forgotten?! Maybe your mind's been filled with Captain that you have forgotten! You may look at him as a brother but have you ever thought that he might actually like you like more than that?!"

Letting out a laugh that shows how angry he is, White tightens his grip on the steering wheel more (if that's even possible) as he tries to control his temper, "Tina.. Please.. I already told you that there's nothing between us."

Letting out a frustrated sigh, I decide to take a different approach. Lowering my voice, I hold his hand and continue, "Okay, I believe you.. But let's say that I was right and Captain had feelings for you.. How would you feel and what would you do..?"

"I.. I wouldn't know what to do.. I would possibly keep my distance from him and our friendship would get affected..", He tells me in a quiet voice as he stares blankly at the floor and I can't help to smile, feeling reassured. Giving him a pat on the shoulder, I tell him, "Alright! That's all I needed to know!" Kissing him on the cheek, I proceed to leave the car, leaving him with his thoughts. As I walk towards my house, I can't help to smile as a plan formed in my head.

Now I knew exactly what I needed to do in order to get rid of Captain. 

 

[Captain's Point Of View]

 

It's been thirty minutes and I'm still staring at my reflection through the mirror. The towel is still hanging on my shoulder and I am still inside my pajamas. My intention was to take a shower but my body has been frozen and is without any sign of completing my task here. As I stare at myself in the mirror, my hand is holding firmly to my phone as if it was the last thing on earth I could depend on. The message I received this morning is displaying inside of my head, making me feel confused and concerned. What does she want? Is she going to make me the same request as White? Does she want me to confirm my relationship with White? Or maybe she just wants to check on me about last night? Or, wait! What if she knows about my feelings towards White and wants to confront me about them? No! It can't be! She wouldn't know about that! I shake my head vigorously to get rid of the anxiety that was beginning to build in my body.

Pushing the thought aside; I decide to not waste any more time and get myself ready. I was going to need some time to prepare myself; mentally and physically. "Calm down Captain! Why are you so nervous? It's just a normal meet up! Relax!", I tell myself those words to give myself some strenght. But despite my attempts on staying positive, my heart is unable to calm down as I make my way to our meeting point.

Two hours later, I'm finally standing right in front the building where I will be meeting White's girlfriend. It is a unpopular coffee shop in one of the remote parts of Bangkok. A good place to have a friendly chat, I tell myself. Taking a deep breath, I take a step forward inside the building. As soon as I entered the place, I heard my name being called from one of the tables. And there she is. Looking stunning as always. Gulping down the intimidation, I approach her with an awkward smile. 

"Hello, Captain, you're early.", Tina greets me as she sprungs up from her chair. "Hello, P'Tina.", I tell her as I press my palms together and bow down slightly. She returns the wai and gives me an awkward smile. I can tell that the environment is going to be a little awkward without White around. "Well, should we order something?", She breaks the silence as she takes her seat and encourages me to take mine. Calling out for the waiter, the girl in front makes her order, "Can I get a Latte Macchiato please? What would you like to order, Captain?"

"Uh?! I. I would like the same order, please!", Not knowing the menu for the place, I tell the waiter and he nods his head and proceeds to leave. As soon as we are left alone, silence overcomes us. I turn to look at her expectantly but she turns to look elsewhere, unwilling to speak. Wasn't she going to tell me why she asked to see me? "Hmm. So did P'White send you here just now?", Trying to find some answers, I decide to break the silence by asking her about White. But instead of repying, Tina just looks deep into my eyes. There's something in the way she's looking at me that frightens me. This look is not the same look that I normally get from her. This one is cold and calculative, as if she was about to throw a bomb at me.

"I don't think today's meeting is something that White needs to know about.", The reply I get from her makes my eyes widen in disbelief. I can't help but to be reminded of Aim's indecent proposal towards Noh. Was I about to go through the same situation? Did Tina have a second face like Aim? Was she going to throw herself at me? No, Captain! Stop comparing reality with fiction! Tina wouldn't do that to White! 

"Why not, P?", Not being able to keep my thoughts to myself, I blurt them out without thinking. "Well.. you tell me.", Now she is throwing the question back at me. What game did she want to play? The hot potato game? Wasn't she the one that contacted me first? Shouldn't she be the one explaining? I look at Tina and try to find any form of answer but the more I look at her, the more puzzled I become. The look she's wearing is as if she was preparing herself for a battle. But the question was, what battle? "Since you seem to be clueless, I will go straight to the point.", Suddenly, Tina breaks my train of thoughts. Well, finally she's speaking, I think to myself.

"I know that you like White."

It takes me a moment to understand the words she had just thrown at me and when I finally do, it feels as if my heart had been striked by lightning. What does she mean she knows?! How would she know?! Nobody besides Pineare and I know about it! Was I that obvious?!

And now I find myself wishing that we went back to playing the hot potato game. (-_-)

"P..P'Tina, what are you saying? There is no such thing! Me and P'White are like brothers!", I try to deny but even I can tell that my words sound so fake.

"Captain, I heard you declare your feelings through your phone yesterday. I know about it so stop denying it.", Hearing the statement from make my eyes widen and cause me unable to breathe properly. She had heard me declare my feelings for White. There was no way to deny it anymore. She knows! She really knows! "P... Please hear me out. You don't have to worry. It means nothing. I am not letting White or anyone know.. I am.. sorry.", I don't really know what else to say. My head and my heart are aching right now. Now that Tina already knew about my feelings, I felt so helpless in front of her.

"No! I want you to tell White.", Tina's words make me jump from my seat. "What?!", Is the only reply I am able to think of at the moment. "Sit down, Captain. You wouldn't want to get more attention to yourself, would you?", Tina ordered me, signaling me to tone down.

"I want you to confess to him..", She continues explaining but her voice becomes mute to my ears, as I am still trying to understand her reasons. I can feel that Tina is staring at me as she speaks but the look that she is giving me doesn't feel sincere at all. It is as if she was challenging me and threatening me at the same time.

"I hate to do this to you but you should tell him, otherwise..", Upon saying that sentence, she pauses to look into my eyes. I can see a cynical smile form in her lips before she continues, "Otherwise, I will have to tell him myself." Oh god! This can't be happening! Tina was threatening me! Ignoring the shocked expression that I'm giving her, she continues, "Think about it. If he came to find out in another way and knew that I also knew about it, wouldn't he feel betrayed?" 

"So, Captain, would you want him to know about it from my lips or from yours?", She is offering an option that does not sound fair at all. Now I can feel that there is no caring in her gentle tone of voice. I can't even utter a word to defend myself. Holding to the last bit of courage that I have, I try to reason with her. "P'Tina.. If he finds out, he will surely hate me and it will ruin our friendship. I can't lose that. I can't, P. Please let me be. I promise I will not come bewteen you and P'White so please.. please pretend that this never happened..", And now I'm begging her. I can't let this happen. If White comes to know, he will not be able to accept me and I will lose him forever.

Now I can feel the tension building up between Tina and me. "Hmm.. So you're saying that this friendship is something precious to you, right? And you don't want to lose it? Then, wouldn't you want to find out how much this friendship means to White? If he really is your friend, wouldn't he also want to hold to it even after he knows?", With the same cynical smile, she speaks with a gentle voice that I know that is not genuine.

"He is a dear friend to me, P. I don't want him to feel uncomfortable around me.", I try to remain respectful but honestly, all the respect I had towards teh girl in front of me is long gone.

Seeing that I am unable to fight back, Tina knows the victory is hers to claim as she continues saying, "Prove it to yourself! That he cares! If he feels repulsed and hates you afterwards, then that means he never saw you worthy of a friend." I really can't find any words to tell her no nor can I actually say that I will do it. All the options given to me will only have a dead end with no happy ending. Now I really regret having dinner with them yesterday. If only I had declined their offer, none of this would be happening.

Realizing that I was unable to make a decision, Tina suddenly raises from her seat and says one final sentence, "But well, it is your choice.. I'll give you by the end of the week.. If you don't tell him by then, then I'm afraid I will do it.."

"No! I'll tell him!", Without further thought, I raise from my seat and tell her.

With that said, Tina smiles triumphaly and leaves me alone so I could get consumed by my anxiety.

 

[Author's Notes]

Friday/8:25 pm.

Hello, dear subscribers~! It's Aleyda in here! And yeah, we are torturing Captain again xDD. But don't worry.. His torture won't be endless. In fact, we are getting near to his release, so please keep looking forward to it. On a different topic, I'm finally getting better (Yaaay~!) which means I'll be able to participate more! And update on my other fanfics! Please keep sendings all of us your support and comments! Oh! And don't be afraid to talk to me through facebook~ I really like it when some of you do that! Anyways, that's all for today! Till next time~!