The Beginning of The Final Battle

The Necklace

[A/N] First of all Merry Christmas to all if you celebrate it! If not Happy Holidays! Hope everyone is enjoying the festive season <3


[JiYong's POV]

As I sat at my desk in my workroom, my heart was beating so fast.

Me? Becoming a dad?

I took a deep breath.

It's something that I always wanted to happen to me but not like this.

Not with this stupid cancer in me.

I picked my phone and dialed Dr.Kim.

"Hello?"

"Dr. Kim? Hi, it's JiYong."

"Oh hi JiYong-ssi what can I do for you? Is everything alright?"

"Oh yeah, everything is alright. Errr I remember you told me about the treatment trial that your colleague is conducting in the United States?"

"Yes, yes Dr. Park is currently in New York testing out her treatments on patients similar to your case. Are you interested in joining?"

This is it.

"Yes I am."

After talking to Dr. Park on the phone for more than an hour or two. 

I found JiEun asleep on our bed. She must be really tired especially after cooking that breakfast for me.

I tucked her in and I saw she was clutching onto my hospital file.

"She knew," I whispered.

I feel so bad for her, it was supposed to be a good morning for us. With her announcing about the baby and us planning our future family together. Coming up with baby names for boys and girls.

But in the end, my stupid sickness had to ruin everything.

I kissed her forehead.

"I promise, nothing will get in our way for true happiness"


[JiEun's POV]

I woke up, without realizing that I fell asleep.

I must have cried myself to sleep but I was properly in bed.

Did JiYong tuck me in?

I glanced over at the clock, it read 6pm. We had breakfast around 9 am this morning.

I slowly made my way to the living room.

"JiYong?" I called out but there wasn't any response.

I went to the kitchen, the dining room and his workroom but he was still nowhere in sight.

Just as I was heading back to take a rest on the couch, the front door popped open and there he was with a huge bunch of shopping bags.

"Hey babe, did you just wake up? Sorry I left to get some groceries."

His cute gummy smile gets me every single time.

I shook my head, "Don't be sorry silly. Yeah I just woke up from that nap. Here let me help you with those bags."

Just as I was about to reach out he quickly avoided.

"Don't you even think about it. You need rest babe. I got dinner tonight, I am going to cook your favorite kimchi fried rice!"

"Do you mean the only thing you know how to cook." I laughed

His face went red.

"Well, yeah but from now on I am going to learn how to cook so that you will be able to rest well for the next few months."

How can I be able to rest well when you aren't well yourself?

After dinner, I was feeling sleepy again. I wonder what is wrong with me today?

"Babe, can you do the dishes today? I'm feeling sleepy again maybe I'll just go and lie down and take a rest."

Just as my hands were on the doorknob, his arms wrapped my waist tightly.

"Babe, I know you know about my sickness."

Tears started forming in my eyes, wow pregnancy hormones are tough.

"But I want you to know that I am actually going to the New York in 2 weeks for treatment. Although it is just a trial but there have been other people who have completely gotten rid of it out of their system and right now they are at their last stages so the chances of me completely recovering is actually more than 75%. I will probably stay there for a month and see how it goes."

He turned me around so that we would face each other.

Both of our eyes were red.

"So babe, I promise that we will be able to get through this together and be awesome parents for our wonderful future together"

Tears streamed down my face as I nodded and held on to him tightly.

"You and me together," I said as I buried my face into his embrace.


I called my parents that night, since it was just morning back in LA. I had to tell them the good news.

"Good morning my darling daughter! Or should I say evening? These time zones are tough" said my dad.

"Hey mom! Hey dad! How are you two. Wait, where's JiSoo?"

"She's in her room, want me to call her out?"

I nodded and JiSoo came flying out of her room as soon as my mom mentioned my name.

"HEY SIS! HOW ARE YOU YOU HAVEN'T CALLED IN AGES, I MISS YOU SO MUCH!"

"Garfield, calm down. I'm fine."

JiSoo eyes bulged when she saw the interior of the house.

"WOAH, SNOOPY IS THAT YOUR NEW HOUSE WITH JIYONG ITS SO FREAKING HUGE"

My mom, dad and I chimed into laughter at the same time. Glad to know things never change.

"Actually I called tonight cause we had to tell you all something"

I waved my hand to signal JiYong over.

"Hello mother, father. Hey JiSoo!"

"Oppa, do you want to announce it?"

"JiEun, you should do it"

We kept teasing each other and totally forgot that my family was watching us until JiSoo called us back to reality.

"You guys, what is it? Stop flirting and tell us."

"JiSoo, that is not the attitude of a future aunt," I just blurted it out.

JiSoo looked so confused but my mom and dad got the hint and both were jumping about.

"OMG Congratulations my baby. I can't believe this is happening! I'm going to be a grandma!!!!" squealed my mom.

Meanwhile, JiSoo was still confused.

Around 30 seconds later her face suddenly lit up.

"Wait! Did you say I am going to be aunt? Does this mean you are...YOU'RE PREGNANT?"

Me and JiYong nodded our heads with a broad smile.

"WAHHHHHHHHHHH OMG OMG OMG OMG" JiSoo was jumping uncontrollably and would not calm down at all.

"JiEun-ah, we will call you next time ok? We need to calm this young girl down first but we are all so excited for you! Truly! I love you, bye for now!" said my mom.

"Bye guys!"

That night, JiYong invited his manager over to discuss his treatment schedules and I was just about to sleep when my mom texted me.

"Hey kiddo, are you ready for this new journey of your life?"

"Mom to be completely honest. I am freaking out so much right now."

"How's JiYong doing now? Has he gotten better."

"No mom, in fact he relapsed but he is heading to New York in a couple of weeks to receive some treatment. I really hope he makes it though. I don't want my child to be raised without a father and I can't even imagine a life without him"

As I looked at that text that I sent my mom. I felt a sense of relief that I could finally tell someone how I really felt.

"Mom, I'm scared." My fingers pressed the sent button before realizing what I had even typed.

"I wish I was by your side right now but trust me everything will be alright. I will make sure of it. I could go to New York and accompany him, if you want me to?"

"It's ok mom. His manager is going with him"

"My baby, call me whenever you need me alright? The path you are going on will be tough but if you guys hang in there, everything will be alright. I know this sounds so cliche but trust me on this."

"Thanks mom, I'm going to sleep soon goodnight <3"


The next morning, it was round 2 of the surprise announcement as JiYong invited his parents over for lunch.

I woke up early to prepare the meals. JiYong was still fast asleep, apparently his manager left at 3.30am last night. 

I was busy frying some kimchi pancakes when I heard his shuffling footsteps.

As I turned around to the direction of our bedroom, there he was standing by the doorway while rubbing his eyes. 

"Good morning babe, sorry I didn't wake up earlier to help you."

The sound of the sizzling pancakes was in the background as I replied, "It's ok! Get dressed, your mom is coming in 30 minutes!"

As I was flipping the pancakes, I didn't realize the sound of his shuffling footsteps were getting closer to me.

When his hands wrapped around my waist, I jumped a bit. 

He placed his chin on my shoulder, "Can't we be just like this for a few more minutes."

"If you get dress now maybe we can relax after lunch?"

"But I missed your hugs" he said that tone in full aegyo.

"How is everything that you discussed between you and your manager last night?"

He never budged.

"It's going well. I'll be leaving in 2 weeks with him and the whole trial process will end in a month so I will be back and we shall see how it goes from then. If I get better, then that will be the end. If not, I might have to go back-"

Suddenly, the grip around my waist loosen and there was a loud thud.

I stopped everything that I was doing and turned around.

"JiYong-ah!"


[A/N] The end is near guys. As I promised the story will be done by this week. But I need to thank you all once more for all your continuous support <3