Together Or Not At All

The Necklace

[A/N] I'm moving to college tomorrow! Wish me luck!!!


[JiEun's POV]

Did...did...did he just say cancer?

I don't believe it, he was fine. I mean he just got hospitalized the other day and the doctors they said- 

Wait a minute- I'm having a flashback.

That time when JiYong fainted in the park, YongBae-oppa told me that JiYong has gotten careless? But I clearly remember him stuttering when he was pronouncing the ca, maybe just maybe he was going to say cancer?

I can't be, JiYong can't possibly have cancer.

"Oppa, what are you talking about? Stop talking nonsense!"

However, his expression never changed.

"You can't possibly be serious? I mean throughout all this time we've been together, you look just fine. You can't....you can't..."

Words were choking at my throat, I couldn't pronounce them properly.

Tears were welling at my eyes as I saw JiYong just helplessly nodding his head.

"You promised we'd be together forever, you said you wouldn't lose me!"

I wanted to shake away his hand but his grip tighten as he tried to embrace me but I shook him away

"You...and me, we are supposed to live the fantasy life together."

He still kept quiet.

He never spoke a single word, all he did was look me with a apologetic look.

"It's all my fault, if I hadn't left you last time maybe we could have faced it together or maybe all this could be avoided. It is all my fault."

He grabbed me by my shoulders, wiped my tears and looked me in the eye.

"Lee Ji Eun, none of this is your fault. We could never have predicted this to happen, I should actually be thankful for the cancer or else I wouldn't have fainted in the park and we would have never gotten together. Yes, I did want to give up on life but after being together with you."

He hugged me as I cried in his shoulder as he patted my back, he said,

"You make me want to live again and I promise I will do whatever it takes to make sure that I will stay by your side."


[JiYong's POV]

I broke my heart to see her like this because of me.

But I never go back on my promises, I will fight to live.

Fight for another day to be with JiEun.


[JiEun's POV]

JiYong-oppa told me not to treat him differently, but somehow I think I have failed.

I always be extra careful around him and I tell him to watch out all the time.

They are times when his lungs hurt so much that he can't breath properly, I tried helping him but he told me to stand down as he grabbed his medicine.

It hurt my heart seeing him wheezing for air, as if he would be taking his last breath soon.

I started staying over at his place more often just so I could keep an eye on him.

He would cough and vomit blood from time to time and sometimes just walking is taking a toll on his he

I would accompany him to the hospital just so he could get his chemotherapy.

Everytime before he receives it, he would look at me and give me a thumbs up as an assurance that he will be alright.

I hope he will.


Two weeks after he told me about his cancer, he picked me up from school again.

"Ya! What are you doing here, you should be resting."

"I told you I didn't want to be treated differently, plus I got my chemotherapy 3 days ago so I should be ok. Therefore, can we please go on a normal date please?"

"Alright, alright"

We drove to the next destination while hand in hand, we promised to never let go of each others hand as long as we were together.

He the music and we were having our very own carpool karaoke.

It was just so much fun that for a moment we weren't a couple were one of us has cancer or one of us is a celebrity (or in this case one of us is a celebrity who has cancer) but we were just a normal couple.

And JiYong-oppa drove us to an outdoor ice rink since it was already winter.

I've always loved ice skating but did that alone because all my friends and my sister are chickens haha.

I purchased the tickets and we headed in, hand in hand as well.

"Oppa, I didn't know you know how to skate."

"I don't actually, I just wanted to be with you."

And he was right, he kept falling down and needed to hold on the hand rail at the side. 

Even when I gave him my hand to guide him, he would end up pulling both of us on the floor together making our butts wet due to the ice.

But eventually he got the hang of it and we hust glided across the ice together.

It was so much fun but super cold as well so we decided to take a break after 40 minutes.

There was a small food stall next to the rink selling fish cakes and tteokbokki, we ordered one each to share.

Just eating the hot and steamy tteokbokki warmed up my stomach giving me so much bliss.

"JiEun-ah."

"Hmm?" My mouth was stuffed with food to even reply him.

"Just now when we were skating, I told you to go ahead first but you always waited for me. Even when I fell,you never left. Why?"

"Silly, silly. I told you before, I would never leave your side, literally and figuratively. Remember what I told you before?"

He nodded.

"Together or not at all" we chimned together as we continue eating our hot foods.

Because I know that we will be able to get through this together and he will get better.

I just know it.


[A/N] That's the end of another chapter, I can't make any promises but I will try to update every Wednesday from now on. Once again thank you for you readers who have always supported me and I am sorry if I haven't been a responsible author. Till next time.