The Necklace

The Necklace

{JiEun's POV}

Oh My God!!! Is this a dream? I need to pinch myself to check.

Ouch! I pinched myself too hard. But yeah I guess I am heading to Seoul!!

Walking out of the buliding, I looked up to the sky and smiled. In a week, I will be looking at the sky from Seoul.

I guess I can fit in easily since I am Korean and speak it but I haven't been there at all.

My parents had moved to LA when they were young so technically mom and dad are Korean but me and my younger sister JiSoo are American.

Our parents have been letting us understand everything regarding Korea such as its culture and eating ways etc. but me and my sister haven't had the chance to visit our motherland even once so this experience will definitely be an eye-opener for now. 

My phone rang when I was lost in thought, it was JiSoo, speak of the devil.

"Hello?"

"Onni!! How did it go? Did you get accepted? Was it scary? Did you meet any cute guys there?"

My sister is really talkative and can go on talking for hours and hours.

"Calm down, JiSoo. I got accepted, it wasn't so scary and there weren't any cute guys there."

My sister shrieked when she heard I got accepted until my ear felt like it was about to explode.

"JiSoo-ah stop screaming, you are hurting my ear."

"Oh My God! JiEun congrats! I'm going to tell mom and dad right now, they have been asking me about your interview all day but we were scared to disturb you. Anyways, we are you heading to?"

"Seoul."

Another shriek came from JiSoo, damn I wonder why didn't she attend the choir club at school, she sure would make a good soprano singer *soprano singers the those who hit the high notes* .

"Anyways I'm gonna meet up with Kate now, tell mom and dad I'll be home by dinner ok? Love you bye."

Kate is my best friend,we've only known each other for 2 years.

Kate was the new girl at school and somehow we just connected and ever since we have been best friends. We know that we have got each others' backs and will always stay by each other.

A lot of people underestimate Kate though, since she is blond and a cheerleader, a lot of people just met her think she is another dumb blond who likes to flirt with guys and party.

They don't even know how wrong they are.

Kate is my study buddy, she always aces her exams and gets flying colours.

She has never flunked an exam or test before, pop quizzes too! That is how incredible Kate is, she has the brains and beauty.

No wonder she is so popular at school not like me.

We met up at Starbucks, our usual hangout place, and I told Kate everything.

She was super excited for me as well and her way of expressing her excitement is way better that JiSoo that means she doesn't make my ears hurt.

However, when I told her that I was leaving next week, the smile on her face faded.

"How am I suppose to go to school without my best fried for six months?", she asked.

That's when I realized that I wouldn't be seeing my families and friends for six months, how will they cope with me not around? How will I cope without them?

Come to think of it, this is the first time I've been away from home for so long.

I held Kate's hand and said,

"Hey, we are BFF and distance won't get in our way. We can always Skype each other, I've checked the time difference, I can wake up early and talk to you before you go to bed. What do you think?"

"Sure thing! Tell me everything about there and I will keep you updated about everything back here!" and time just kept on going as we talked for hours.

When I went home, mom had baked me my favourite cake, red velvet cake.

On top of it she wrote "GO AND EXPLORE THE WORLD MY JIEUN" and I admit it kinda touched me.

After dinner, I went straight to my room and started packing my stuff. I won't be around for six months so they are a lot of things to pack. Then again I don't have any suitable clothing cause I will be there throughout autumn to the beginning of spring.

Guess I can go shopping there.


The week went by really fast and I'm flying off to Seoul tomorrow.

I've already dealt with the school paperwork, my friends threw a farewell party for me, my luggages are all packed.

The only left now is to head to the airport tomorrow.

I was busy cleaning up my room and by the time I finished, my phone buzzed,

"Starbucks?"

"On my way!" 

I ordered a Green Tea Frappocino and Kate ordered an iced Americano.

We chatted for a while, talking about the things we had done together, what things will be like for the six months that I am not around and stuff.

When we were about to leave Kate asked me to tell her one last thing before I went home.

"JiEun, before you leave to Seoul tomorrow. Can I ask you one last question?"

I was kinda scared when Kate said that cause her tone was kinda serious.

"Sure, what's up? You are scaring me right now."

"What's the story behind your neckalce? We've been friends for so long and you have never told me the story behind it.I've never seen you take it off."

Upon hearing her words, I reached to touched my pendant. It's a flower pendant with pink petals.

"Kate, it's a long story and it is getting late. We should head home now." I said while trying to leave but Kate grabbed my wrist and by the glare in her eyes. She wouldn't leave until she hears the story.

"Alright, I'll tell you," I said while sitting in my chair again.

"Before I had known you, I used to have a friend. He was my neighbour and best friend at the time. We've known each other when we were kids,he is Korean too. He is 5 years older than me and was like a big brother to me. He protected me from all the bad that was out there. This necklace was the last thing he gave to me before he left."

When I said those words, his face was in my mind again. His smile, his laughter, I miss him so much.

"You guys haven't been in contact after he left?"

"No, he just suddenly left. I remember coming home from school one day and was about to heat to his house but when I rang the doorbell there was no answer so I asked my parents and they said that their family had moved in a hurry, he didn't even say goodbye to me. I wear this necklace everyday cause it feels like he is still here with me. I don't know but whenever I wear it, I just feel much stronger and braver. You know about my panic attacks and stuff, so when I wear it, it helps a lot."

"JiEun, why didn't you tell me about this long ago?"

Kate was really worrying about me. She knows how my panic attacks can really affect me.

"I just thought it wasn't important so I didn't bring it up."

"Can you tell me his name?"

"Kwon JiYong......."

Kate and I left Starbucks around 6.30pm she hugged me real tight and I squeezed her back.

 She wanted to send me off at the airport tomorrow but she has to attend a student council meeting cause she is studen council president.

"I will miss you a lot JiEun, Skype me everyday ok?"

"Definitely, I will miss you a lot too, take care of yourself."

Mom and dad literally prepared a feast for me that night.

There was shepards pie, spaghetti and meatballs, caesar salad and mom's red velvet cake.

JiSoo was so happy that she couldn't stop eating, I on the other hand was so full until my stomach was about to explode.

Then again, I will really miss mom and dad's cooking, they cook the best meals in the world. Like mom's homemade pizza and dad's japanese curry rice. YUM.

That night, I dreamt of him again; I haven't done that in ages. In my dream, we were hanging out in his backyard treehouse.

We were playing snakes and ladders, everything seemed perfect there.

Until he disappeared and suddenly the house was sinking in quicksand, the snakes were coming to life.

I tried screaming his name but no sound would come out from my throat and I saw him walking away from all that is happening here, he didn't look back at all.

It is as if he didn't know me at all. I woke up with cold sweat on my forehead, I haven't had a dream like this in ages so why is it happening again? It took me so long to get use to the fact the he isn't here by my side anymore so why do I feel like it is happening all over again?

I held on to my pendant really tight.

I remember he gave it to me on my tenth birthday, I was dressed up like a princess that day and my gown was pink in colour.

He dressed up like my prince charming and we both wore crowns.

Come to think of it, you hardly get to see a 15-year-old boy dressed up as a prince, he was super cute back then.

When he gave me the present, he was like

"My princess may I present to you your present from me"

The pink flower really matched my outfit that day and pink is my favourite colour. I giggled all the way when he helped me to wear it around my neck. All my memories with him are slowly coming back to me. 

JiYong oppa, where did you go?


[A/N] Hey guys! the first chapter is finally up and I hope you guys like it. More to come soon! comment what you think about it and how can I improve it thank you :)