The Search

Catfish

“Why isn’t he answering the phone?” Hakyeon asked worriedly as he walked around the living room in circles. It has been ten hours since Sanghyuk left the apartment.

“I don’t think he will answer the phone. I called him twenty seven times already.” Wonsik said who sat next to Taekwoon on the couch

“I think he’s right. Maybe we will have more success if we go outside and look for him ourselves.” Jaehwan said. He stood next to the couch, leaning against the wall

 

Taekwoon had called them over after Sanghyuk hadn’t returned after four hours. Hakyeon became so worried he lost his mind, thinking of the worst scenarios that could happen to Sanghyuk. It took the three of them three hours to calm Hakyeon down. After the three managed to do so, they all spent their time trying to call Sanghyuk.

 

“We should split up in teams. That way we can look for Sanghyuk at more places at the same time.” Taekwoon suggested. “We also should stay in touch, so when we see or hear something we have to call the other group.”

“So who is paired with who?” Jaehwan asked

“Hakyeon and I will be a team and you and Wonsik will be one.”

“Okay, let’s go!” Wonsik said, stood up from the couch and walked to the front door to put on his shoes. Jaehwan followed him

 

“Don’t worry too much, we will find him.” Taekwoon said and placed a hand on Hakyeon’s shoulder

“We will find him.” Hakyeon repeated softly

 

They split up when they walked out of the apartment. Taekwoon and Hakyeon took the car to drive around town to look for Sanghyuk, while Jaehwan and Wonsik walked around the streets and asked people if they saw Sanghyuk somewhere around.

 

“Excuse me Sir, have you seen our friend? He is 183 centimeters tall and has-“ Jaehwan asked a man on the street, but the man just walked past him. “Yah! I hope when you lose someone, no one will help you to find that person!”

“Jaehwan-hyung, you’re making a scene. You know it’s rude to scream stuff like that at people you don’t know.” Wonsik said and placed a hand on Jaehwan’s shoulder

“I know, I know. It’s just that, that is the 20th person who ignores me and I’m going crazy because of that.”

“I know that it’s frustrating, it frustrates me too, but please try not to lose your mind. We need to stay focused. Frustration won’t help us with finding Sanghyuk.”

“You’re right.”

 

Wonsik flashed a small smile at Jaehwan before he continued to ask people about Sanghyuk. Jaehwan shook his head, he shouldn’t get distracted by Wonsik right now. He took a deep breath. He had to focus

 

“I hope Hakyeon-hyung and Taekwoon-hyung have more success.” Jaehwan mumbled to himself before he continued to ask people if they have seen Sanghyuk

 

Meanwhile, Taekwoon and Hakyeon drove around town. Taekwoon sat behind the steering wheel and Hakyeon sat next to him in the passenger’s seat. Both of them looked around if they could spot Sanghyuk and of course, Taekwoon made sure that he was driving safely as well.

 

“How long have we been driving around town?” Hakyeon asked

“Around an hour or two I guess.” Taekwoon answered

“Do you think the others know more?”

“I don’t think so, we would contact each other if we know something.”

“I hope we will find him soon. I’m so worried.”

“We will find him, I’m sure about that.” Taekwoon said when he looked at Hakyeon for a quick second before he looked at the road in front of him again.

 

Then Hakyeon’s phone rang. He took it out of his pocket as fast as he could and looked at the caller ID.

 

“It’s Wonsik.” Hakyeon said. He answered the phone and put it on speaker. “Hello, did you find him?”

“No we didn’t, but some lovely girl at the park said she saw someone, who comply to our description of Sanghyuk, running away from the lake. She also said that he had a navy blue backpack with him. Sanghyuk does have a navy blue backpack, doesn’t he?”

“Yes, he has that color backpack.” Hakyeon said

“Does she know where he ran off to?” Taekwoon asked

“He ran towards the shopping center, but that was at 1pm. So she isn’t sure if he’s still there.”

“Okay, we will be heading to the shopping center and drive around. I want you to go as well and look for him at the places where Hakyeon and I can’t come with the car.”

“Okay, we will do that. Bye.”

“Bye.”

 

With that they ended the call.

 

“And, what did they say?” Jaehwan asked

“Taekwoon-hyung wants us to go to the shopping center and look for Sanghyuk there.” Wonsik answered

“Okay, let’s go.” Jaehwan said. He then turned to the girl. “Thank you so much for your help.”

“You’re welcome.” She said and giggled cutely. “Go look for your friend. Good luck.”

 

The two guys ran towards the shopping center. They walked into stores to look if Sanghyuk was there, asked people around if they have seen Sanghyuk and looked in alleys.

 

Time passed and there was still no sign of Sanghyuk. Wonsik and Jaehwan were still walking outside. It was getting darker and the streets became less crowded.

 

“What time is it?” Jaehwan asked

“It’s 8pm.” Wonsik answered as he was looking at the time which was displayed on the screen of his mobile phone

“Do you think he is still here?”

“I don’t know. Seoul is a big city. He could be anywhere.”

“Yeah…”

 

They didn’t say anything after that and continued to search in silence.

 

“Jaehwan, look over there.” Wonsik said after a while and pointed at an alley

“Is that…” Jaehwan didn’t finish his sentences

“Yes.” Wonsik said

 

Jaehwan looked at Wonsik with a bright smile. He was so happy that Wonsik found Sanghyuk that he placed his hands on Wonsik’s face and pressed his lips on Wonsik’s. Jaehwan froze when he realized what he just did. He quickly let go of Wonsik and turned around.

 

“I-I-I will call Hakyeon-hyung and Taekwoon-hyung to tell them that we found Sanghyuk. You go and get Sanghyuk.” Jaehwan said, walking a bit further away from Wonsik and then called the others. Wonsik looked at his hyung blankly, it hadn’t sink in that he really just got kissed by a guy. He shook his head to get out of his daze and walked towards Sanghyuk who was sitting on the ground. Wonsik noticed that the younger was holding some fuzzy ball, which he later identified as a kitten when he got closer.

 

“Hey.” Wonsik said as he stood in front of the younger

“Hyung?” Sanghyuk looked up at his hyung, surprised. “Why are you here?”

“We all were looking around the whole town to find you for the past five hours.” Wonsik said as he sat down next to Sanghyuk

“I’m sorry I caused you all that trouble.” Sanghyuk said. “I just needed some time on my own.”

“Don’t worry, I understand. We all have those kind of moments that we just want to be alone and think.” Wonsik said with a little smile on his face

“I want to go home.” Sanghyuk said. “It’s cold and I don’t want to be here anymore. I didn’t wanted to bother you, but in the end I did because I ran away and didn’t let you know where I was.”

“It’s okay, I’m glad you’re back.”

 

Sanghyuk nodded and then looked at his new pet. He petted the kitten that began to purr by Sanghyuk’s touch.

 

“So, who’s your little friend over there?” Wonsik asked

“Her name is Marshmallow. She found me here and hasn’t left my side since then. I guess she’s a stray kitten.”

“She sure is adorable.” Wonsik said. “Can I pet her?”

“You can, but you have to be careful when approaching her. She’s scared of people, so you have to give her some time to trust you.”

“Okay.”

 

Wonsik reached out his hand and let Marshmallow sniff it. It took some time until Marshmallow allowed Wonsik to pet her on the head.

 

“Sanghyuk! There you are! I was so worried!” Hakyeon said as he rushed into the alley. He pushed Wonsik aside and hugged Sanghyuk

“Hyung watch out. You scared Marshmallow with your sudden movements.” Sanghyuk said

“Marshmallow?” Hakyeon asked confused. “You mean the kitten?” He asked when he noticed the kitten that had climbed onto Sanghyuk’s shoulder and hid behind Sanghyuk’s head. “I’m sorry, I didn’t saw him.”

“Her.” Sanghyuk corrected

“I didn’t saw her.” Hakyeon repeated, this time using ‘her’ instead of ‘him’

 

“Hyung?” Sanghyuk said as he picked up Marshmallow from his shoulder and held her in his arms. “Can I keep her?”

“I don’t know, she might be from someone else.” Hakyeon said. “We need to find her owner and if she doesn’t have one you can keep her.”

“But Hyung.” Sanghyuk whined

“Sanghyukkie, someone might be worried sick because their little kitten ran away.”

 

Sanghyuk looked up at Taekwoon, who was standing in the alley as well, and looked at his hyung with pleading eyes.

 

“Just let him keep the kitten.” Taekwoon said who had already fell in love with the little ball of fur

“But what about the owner?”

“I haven’t seen any posters around, also she looks like she has been wandering the streets for a while now. It wouldn’t surprise me if her owner dumped her. She get scared easily and it is a miracle that Sanghyuk was able to win her trust. So, I think Marshmallow deserve someone who can take care of her, someone like Sanghyuk.”

“But still.”

“That person didn’t look for Marshmallow, so I wouldn’t call that person a real owner who cares for their pet.” Taekwoon said and paused for a moment. “If you want allow Sanghyuk to keep Marshmallow in your apartment, then I will let the both of them stay at my  place.”

 

Hakyeon let out a sigh and looked at Sanghyuk. He did seem already a bit happier with Marshmallow.

 

“Okay fine, you’re allowed to keep her.”

“Really? Thank you so much!” Sanghyuk said happily and smiled

 

Hakyeon smiled back. He was so glad to see Sanghyuk smile again. It sure has been a long time, and seeing him smile like that made Hakyeon feel relieved.

 

“Marshmallow, you hear that? Hakyeon-hyung allows you to go home with me.” Sanghyuk told the kitten with a voice full of happiness. The kitten seems to be happy too, as it began to mew happily.